By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - J.J. Abrams responds to criticism over TFA being a rip-off of A New Hope

You people make me laugh. Yup, the Force Awakens totally ripped off A New Hope.

While we're at it Jurassic World was a rip off of Jurassic Park, all the Marvel comics were written and rewriten a dozen times, but you all still have no problem with the plethora of shitty super hero movies, Fast 7 was in the Top 10 highest grossing movies of all time for some reason, Avatar is a rip off of Fern Gully and Dances with Wolves.

My point is: YOU PEOPLE ALL SEE THE SAME MOVIES OVER AND OVER AGAIN ANYWAY! Jesus, TFA is different enough, go home and stop trying to be that asshole who picks apart every little thing. There are reluctant good guys fighting a huge evil power! Wow! So original, from the get go!

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
sabvre42 said:
Its not even about the whole doing Episode IV again for me... but the fact that they fucked the entire lore and trashed the EU.

I am seriously butthurt over Rey becoming a jedi goddess with no training.

If Rey is a man, i bet you all have no problems with it cause reasons x and y.

The sexism in this thread is real.

ROFL - did you really just pull the fucking sexism card? I shit you not, what you just said is probably the most ignorant post I have seen on this entire website since i started browsing it like 6 years ago. Seriously, you just straight pissed me the fuck off.

I would have been butt hurt if it was a male too. The whole concept of the force requires people to learn to use it over time through training and experience. You don't suddenly gain Jedi mastery instaneously. It doesn't matter if its a male OR a female.

Please, for the love of god do not enter threads like this and throw the sexism card just because you want to. (Also note - I have two daughters and strongly appreciate movies and games with a strong female leads).

What about anakin being able to fly a naboo fighter at age 4? Luke becoming a master pilot with 0 training?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Soundwave said:
sabvre42 said:

The reason people like me are angry about Rey is not because she has a vagina and is powerful. Rey isn't a mutant from Marvel/DC -- shes a force sensative human being.

Its because they changed the whole concept of the force from being a mystical power that people tap into to just being some major power people are born with. They removed the whole concept of people people needed to attain mastery and just turned Rey into a super hero (although most super heros still take time to come into their full powers).

By breaking cannon with this - they most likely just implemented power creep, and will turn this into the Jedi version of Dragon Ball Z.

Anakin and Luke already broke this tenant. 

Anakin does ridiculous things in Episode I at *age freaking nine* with zero training. Only human who can race pods at 1000 mph? With zero training? Because "Jedi reflexes". Give me a fucking break. Of course he has to destroy the Trade Federation command ship too. 

If it's revealed in Episode VIII that Rey was trained from a young age, she'll have had more training than Luke or Anakin to boot. 

She was at Luke's Academy. She probably could be his daughter even. She may have several years of training for all we know that was repressed within her. 

So, all those creatures racing were Jedis?  Let's not let the prequels poor writing cloud our judgement here.   The only thing that was doing was trying to reference Obi Wan saying that Anakin was a great pilot in the OG trilogy.  In truth, we should have met Anakin, at the earliest, in his late teens as a Republic pilot.  Anakin didn't start truly using the force until the 2nd movie.  And even then, they had him get his ass handed to him by Count Dooku.  If it was Rey they would have had it end in a draw, if not her winning. 

And no, Luke continues to adhere to that tenant.  He only used the force to help him target a hole.  The same way he targeted the little training droid earlier in the film.  Again, it wasn't until the 2nd movie we really start to see him use the Force substantially, and only til the 3rd movie has he even mastered it to be maybe slightly above Rey.

Soundwave said:
thismeintiel said:

Yet, more poor excuses for lazy writing.  Sounds just like the fans of the prequels when they released.  And even though the prequels did the stupid "Anakin is basically Jedi Jesus"  they had enough sense to NOT have him master everything on his own, in the matter of a few days of finding out about the Force.  It took him years to pull off the crap Rey is doing.  Same goes for Luke. So, yes, it is a stretch you can go 0-Jedi in under 48 hours.  And she did a lot more than pull a lightsaber and trick a stormtrooper.  She stopped a trained Jedi from reading her thoughts, while seeing into his.  She did a mind trick, something Luke could only do til movie 3 in the OG trilogy.  She used it to defeat a trained Jedi/Sith in a lightsaber battle.  And that said lightsaber was not just laying there, a trained Jedi/Sith was trying to pull it towards him at the time.

The true sad thing is that no one would be defending this poor writing if it was a man.  They would have expected more.  And they have been given more in the past.  But because it wasn't, we have to have those that sympatize with the modern feminist movement defending because of... uh...sexism. 

And don't post NC like he's the end all be all on opinions.  His is also a poor excuse.  You can do something different AND it be good.  Many movies have proven this before.  With that thinking Empire and Jedi should have been exactly like Hope, with slight changes, and would have been exceptable.  Many people have even given suggestions for what they could have done to this movie to make it different, but not seem like a paint by numbers, and quite a few of them have been very good.  Sadly, Hollywood likes to keep playing it safe and/or played out, and people keep making excuses for them.  Yet, some of those same people complain about remakes.  Go figure.

Maybe they could have done something original if the prequels didn't fuck the franchise and alienate a large part of the audience. And there would be no "yeah but you gotta watch the next one to see Darth Vader!" hook that saved Ep.III either. 

Star Wars was fizzling out after the prequels ... the Clone Wars animated movie *bombed* and the Phantom Menace 3D re-release was a dud (compare to how enthusiastically A New Hope was re-released to big box office in 1997). 

The franchise was in trouble and declining. Disney is going to make 50 different Star Wars movies anyway, what's wrong with using ONE to re-center the damn franchise and take it back to its roots? The approach they took was smart. 

I'm sorry, what the hell does this have to do with anything?  You're answer to some bad prequels is to just follow the major plot points of the OG trilogy?  That's poor reasoning.  In fact, all they would have to do is ignore them and act like they don't even exist, like a lot of SW fans do.  I mean, why not?  They already shit on the EU, which I'm sure has plenty of better, more original stories out there they could pull from.

kurasakiichimaru said:
sabvre42 said:
NightDragon83 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
NightDragon83 said:

The funny thing is that if we were to apply Episode VII logic to the original trilogy, then Leia, as a direct descendant of Anakin Skywalker, should have been AT LEAST as in tune with the Force as her brother was since they are the exact same age.  Yet she exhibited hardly any ability with the Force throughout the entire trilogy 1) other than to be able to sense that her brother is either in danger (end of Empire) or is OK (end of Jedi).

2) Apparently nobody explained to Han that in Rey's case, why yes, that's EXACTLY how the Force works... as a tool to quickly get our characters out of tricky situations and advance the plot when necessary.

1) Or maybe it was Luke that used his power to call on her? I must admit I always felt like Leia was sensitive to the Force, I even considered the possibility she would be a Jedi in TFA, but maybe Luke called on to her using his power?

I want to believe that Luke somehow activated (lmao) Rey's powers from afar, like next-level Force power from when he called on to Leia.

2) To be fair with Han, he never witnessed Rey doing Force-stuff to have a chance to tell her: "You aren't supposed to do any of that!" :P

I still think JJ & Co rushed Rey's character arc in the film out of both timing / convenience, and of fan service with the repeated callbacks to episodes IV-VI.

2) LOL!  But to be even more fair with Han, here was there pretty much from Day 1 of Luke's training with Obi Wan and saw him go through his early trials and tribulations in developing his understanding and command of the Force firsthand, so Han at the very least was aware that people don't usually go from not even knowing what the Force is to Force Level 10 over the course of a few days lol.

The reason people like me are angry about Rey is not because she has a vagina and is powerful. Rey isn't a mutant from Marvel/DC -- shes a force sensative human being.

Its because they changed the whole concept of the force from being a mystical power that people tap into to just being some major power people are born with. They removed the whole concept of people people needed to attain mastery and just turned Rey into a super hero (although most super heros still take time to come into their full powers).

By breaking cannon with this - they most likely just implemented power creep, and will turn this into the Jedi version of Dragon Ball Z.

That' like being angry over someone being born beautiful because genetics. I think bothered is a much softer word that you should be looking for. It's not a good look to be angry at woman with actual power, after all.

They are aliens who knows what they really are and the force isn't real anyway so why involve science anyway in the most fictional way to probably to rip off of one of those bible stories.

It's not like the force requires you to recite incantations to produce electrical bolts anyway or master a certain hand wave to do a jedi mind trick. Or go to a school to learn spells. What's so mystic about jedi training anyway besides battling your demons and meditation. People dont need that if you are already a stable person as you are. tHat.s like going to church because you want to attain the highest level of spirituality and yet still comes back home saying and doing the same evil things you always do.

Again, you have not played the games. You have not read the books. You clearly do not star wars lore. 

I'm seriously starting to feel that you are one of those people that wants a female link in the next Zelda - just because. Instead of creating a new intellectual property/ universe -- they take an existing one and change it to fit feminism.

I'm all for powerful females in gaming and video -- including non sexualized ones. Take Sword Art Online -- My favorite character in the whole anime is Sinon. Because shes a real character that shows inner strength; the lack of a princess complex and even when she falls into the Kirito harem, she still has a brain and can stand to be alone.

KungKras said:
sabvre42 said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
sabvre42 said:
Its not even about the whole doing Episode IV again for me... but the fact that they fucked the entire lore and trashed the EU.

I am seriously butthurt over Rey becoming a jedi goddess with no training.

If Rey is a man, i bet you all have no problems with it cause reasons x and y.

The sexism in this thread is real.

ROFL - did you really just pull the fucking sexism card? I shit you not, what you just said is probably the most ignorant post I have seen on this entire website since i started browsing it like 6 years ago. Seriously, you just straight pissed me the fuck off.

I would have been butt hurt if it was a male too. The whole concept of the force requires people to learn to use it over time through training and experience. You don't suddenly gain Jedi mastery instaneously. It doesn't matter if its a male OR a female.

Please, for the love of god do not enter threads like this and throw the sexism card just because you want to. (Also note - I have two daughters and strongly appreciate movies and games with a strong female leads).

What about anakin being able to fly a naboo fighter at age 4? Luke becoming a master pilot with 0 training?

Anakin was 8 (not 4), had heavy experience flying devices (such as pod racing) and was force jesus (and that still pissed people off btw... go back to 95 and read what the fans said).

Luke actually had significant training... SIGNIFICANT. He used to run canyon runs with Biggs and wedge on Tatooine pior to them joining the resistance. Its mentioned heavily in the books and called out by Wedge when hes at the resistance base.

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:
Soundwave said:

Puh-leaze. The canon has 1000 different hilariously stupid things in it and was already throw in the toilet after Lucas wiped his ass with it with the prequels. 

It was *obvious* he did not have the full story plotted out and just a very vague rough back story. 

There is nothing in the movie that's not canon anyway if it does turn out Rey had some training as a child. 

The fanboys are idiots in some ways anyway ... the "Force" is a mystical concept, it's not a goddamn video game power where everything is segmented into things like "Jedi Mind Trick takes XYZ hours to learn", "Jedi Force Push is level 2 Jedi power" ... this is like nerdy people who get all excited by martial arts but think ability is tied to their belt color ("ooh a black belt will always beat a orange belt! The chart says so!"). 

Actually the force IS just that. Its essentially martial arts mastery. The user through intense training, mediation, and control learns how to channel the force to do their bidding.

They do not just hit puberty and have the ability to manipulate the universe instantly.

The Force is evolving or changing. You'll have to deal with that. Yoda and Obi-Wan are no more. Even Luke seems to not understand what is happening. A new story is unfolding and anything can happen from now on.

sabvre42 said:
Soundwave said:

Puh-leaze. The canon has 1000 different hilariously stupid things in it and was already throw in the toilet after Lucas wiped his ass with it with the prequels. 

It was *obvious* he did not have the full story plotted out and just a very vague rough back story. 

There is nothing in the movie that's not canon anyway if it does turn out Rey had some training as a child. 

The fanboys are idiots in some ways anyway ... the "Force" is a mystical concept, it's not a goddamn video game power where everything is segmented into things like "Jedi Mind Trick takes XYZ hours to learn", "Jedi Force Push is level 2 Jedi power" ... this is like nerdy people who get all excited by martial arts but think ability is tied to their belt color ("ooh a black belt will always beat a orange belt! The chart says so!"). 

Actually the force IS just that. Its essentially martial arts mastery. The user through intense training, mediation, and control learns how to channel the force to do their bidding.

They do not just hit puberty and have the ability to manipulate the universe instantly.

So where does Anakin's training come from. He's the only human who can race pods at like 500 mph? Forget puberty he's already doing amazing things in grade freaking school. He meditated and was taught to do this? 

In martial arts I can train for 10 minutes and then be able to win a fight with my eyes closed? This is basically what Luke does. He saves the galaxy, special trainnig my ass. Even the the time line for this is wildly inconsistent, in Empire he's shown to be basically a novice Jedi, he trains with Yoda for what is basically like ... one week? Two weeks? Then ROTJ is six whopping months later and now he's basically a "master" who can beat Darth Vader fairly easily. 

And no, the Force isn't "martial arts mastery" and it's certainly the lay-man's "nerds" version of martial arts (ie: the guys who think martial arts "power" is represented by belt color). 

Those are people who are too into the freaking video games and dorky Dungeons & Dragons aspect of the franchise. 

Azuren said:
amp316 said:
Don't give Doctor Who to this guy. He already crapped all over Star Trek and Star Wars.

Except the only thing wrong with the Star Trek movies was the casting for Khan, and TFA is a great movie.

I mostly enjoyed the star trek movies, the casting was perfect, the story was crap though. I am sick to death of the tired, overused and abused plot twist of time travel. It is a crutch for weak story writing to get around story problems without having to be creative or original.

Soundwave said:
sabvre42 said:

So where does Anakin's training come from. He's the only human who can race pods at like 500 mph? Forget puberty he's already doing amazing things in grade freaking school. He meditated and was taught to do this? 

In martial arts I can train for 10 minutes and then be able to win a fight with my eyes closed? This is basically what Luke does. He saves the galaxy, special trainnig my ass. Even the the time line for this is wildly inconsistent, in Empire he's shown to be basically a novice Jedi, he trains with Yoda for what is basically like ... one week? Two weeks? Then ROTJ is six whopping months later and now he's basically a "master" who can beat Darth Vader fairly easily. 

And no, the Force isn't "martial arts mastery" and it's certainly the lay-man's "nerds" version of martial arts (ie: the guys who think martial arts "power" is represented by belt color). 

Those are people who are too into the freaking video games and dorky Dungeons & Dragons aspect of the franchise. 

Its funny how you cast the nerd/dork stone but have 12000 posts on a video game forum.... just saying....

Soundwave said

So where does Anakin's training come from. He's the only human who can race pods at like 500 mph? He meditated and was taught to do this? 

In martial arts I can train for 10 minutes and then be able to win a fight with my eyes closed? This is basically what Luke does. 

I always thought that control of the Force and lightsaber/martial skills are separate things.

But it would seem like knowing the Force can heighten your skills, at least above the average person, above to how your skills would be if you had not affinity to the Force.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1