By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - J.J. Abrams responds to criticism over TFA being a rip-off of A New Hope

gatito said:
thismeintiel said:

Please.  I would have the exact same issues if Rey was a man, as would others who are bothered by her 2 day near mastering of the Force.  In fact, it would be moved to the Top 3 in the laundry list of what is wrong with the prequels if Anakin was doing the exact same things as Rey at the end of Ep1.  The only reason people use sexism is because it's the easy out of an argument they are losing.  You have nothing to back up your argument other than you are just fine with it.  It still remains it makes no sense given the previous films, even the poor prequels, yet you are fine with it.  I guess that's fine if you are.  But, don't have such poor excuses to cover up lazy, rushed writing.  Especially when you are scrapping the bottom of the barrel with the sexism argument.  It's become the new race card.  Overplayed.

You're overestimating what Rey did at the end of the movie. Resisting a little mind reading, toying with some random Stormtrooper's mind, partially defeating a wounded evil dude. That's just the beginning of her journey. Also, I don't think anyone's playing the sexism card here, as no one's claiming you are inherently sexist because you don't like Rey. People are judging her differently because she's a woman, and that is a fact.

Two words: Fury Road

Around the Network
Wright said:
amp316 said:
Don't give Doctor Who to this guy. He already crapped all over Star Trek and Star Wars.

I like his Star Trek movies. He pulled out that parallel universe not to conflict with the originals, and so he's good to do whatever he wants without screwing up the legacy. Also, I found them entertaining to watch.

Same here. 

While I can't really call myself a Trekkie as I never had a great love for the tOS (I did watch most of the tOS based movies) and didn't really enjoy Star Trek until TNG, there is a lot to be liked within the franchise, particularly for the sci-fi minded viewer.

And while any good sci-fi puts everything within human context to make it relatable, it co-exists with probable science themes and concepts. This is where the new Star Trek falls short, which is typically the main point of contention with Trekkies.

The characters and interactions are there (space drama) but the sci-fi themes have largely been replaced with action and overwhelming visuals, leaving viewers with more of a space action adventure genre than anything else. Minus the more fantasy and mythology oriented elements of Star Wars, the two franchises share more in common than they ever have. 

Azuren said:
amp316 said:
Don't give Doctor Who to this guy. He already crapped all over Star Trek and Star Wars.

Except the only thing wrong with the Star Trek movies was the casting for Khan, and TFA is a great movie.

As usual, you get it right.

Azuren said:
amp316 said:

Except the only thing wrong with the Star Trek movies was the casting for Khan, and TFA is a great movie.

Insidb said:
Azuren said:

Insidb said:
Azuren said:

Was he so right you had the need to tell him twice?

Around the Network

With regards to TFA, if Rey had been another boy there might have been more complaints, particularly in regards to recreating Luke Skywalker. It really would change the context of the film, particularly at the end.

Only a tiny percentage of the critics take umbrage over the use a female protagonist hero, and only a minority percentage of those are doing so out of misogynist viewpoints, whether deliberate or subconscious.

Soundwave said:
NightDragon83 said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
sabvre42 said:
Its not even about the whole doing Episode IV again for me... but the fact that they fucked the entire lore and trashed the EU.

I am seriously butthurt over Rey becoming a jedi goddess with no training.

If Rey is a man, i bet you all have no problems with it cause reasons x and y.

The sexism in this thread is real.

Yeah, SW fans who don't like Rey pretty much don't like women in general.  Must be why they also hated the "strong female" character of Leia in the original trilogy...oh wait.

The funny thing is that if we were to apply Episode VII logic to the original trilogy, then Leia, as a direct descendant of Anakin Skywalker, should have been AT LEAST as in tune with the Force as her brother was since they are the exact same age.  Yet she exhibited hardly any ability with the Force throughout the entire trilogy other than to be able to sense that her brother is either in danger (end of Empire) or is OK (end of Jedi).

Meanwhile, a character roughly the same age as Luke & Leia were in the original trilogy with absolutely ZERO Force training whatsoever is able to not only fully grasp the concept of the Force nearly all on her own, but ends up being just as adequate with it as a guy who again is a direct descendant of the Skywalker lineage and has had several years worth of formal training from both the Jedi and Sith / dark sides of the Force.

For what it's worth, the funniest part of VII *SPOILER ALERT* was when Han Chewie and the token black guy (TBG) are on the "not-a-Death-Star" base trying to rescue Rey and destroy the shields or whatever, and TBG, after being called out by Han for having no idea how they were going to  accomplish their task, quips that they can just "use the Force"... to which Han retorts "THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!!!"

Apparently nobody explained to Han that in Rey's case, why yes, that's EXACTLY how the Force works... as a tool to quickly get our characters out of tricky situations and advance the plot when necessary.

Leia isn't really that 'strong' of a character. She needs to be rescued in the first film and she's largely reliant on Luke or Han to do anything. She also knows how to get down in a metal string bikini for the amusement of the male audience too. Her character is tertiary to the plot, Rey is the first Star Wars female character around whom the plot actually centers around. 

If she had penis and looked like Mad Max's character (a desert scavenging bad ass) I'd bet money that a lot of this criticism would be muted, because "dood! he's a bad ass, and obvisouly he's prolly Luke's son! Can't wait for Episode VIII". But there's an awful lot of butt hurt that a little girl beat up the "bad ass" Sith, this violates some serious tenants of male Star Wars insecurities. The woman is too masculine and strong, the "evil guy in a robe" is too weak, this upsets some people. 

Also who's to say the Force manifests itself equally in siblings? A person who is a tremendous athlete with great genetics may have one kid that (to no one's big surprise) turns out to be a very good athlete, and may have another child that turns out to be a fat slob. 

We don't know if Rey has had any Force training either, she obviously has repressed memories, she fairly obviously may have been at Luke's Jedi academy too. She may have much more training than Anakin -- who was the only human to be able to race pods at 9 years old at 1000 mph while building protocol droids for fun and oh yeah his mom randomly got impregnanted with the Force, oh he also blows up the Trade Federation command ship at the end of the first film with zero training (NO NOTHING CRAZY ABOUT THAT Star Wars fans). 

And then there's Luke who manages to out run the best pilot in the galaxy (Vader) and blow up a giant space station *with his eyes closed!* after "training" with a blast shield for all of 10 minutes, lol. Goes from learning about the Force the day earlier to saving the galaxy 24 hours later with his eyes closed, outdoing the Rebellion's best pilots who likely have hundreds of flight hours on him. Sure. Sure. 

Leia isn't really that strong of a character???  Somebody need to go back and re-watch A New Hope and Empire...

At the beginning of ANH, she's established as not just your typical "damsel in distress" princess, but a political leader of the Rebellion who remains defiant against Vader and the Empire to the (would be) bitter end, refusing to give up the location of the rebel base even as they threaten her home planet with annihilation (something that "stronge male character" Po did when being interrogated by Kylo Ren to give up the location of the map to Luke in Episode VII); she helps Luke Han and Chewie out of a jam when they get cornered in the detention block; she then resumes her role as one of the leaders of the Rebel Alliance during the attack on the Death Star and later the battle on Hoth - recall her scene on Hoth laying out the battle plans to all the male speeder pilots and fighters... I'm sure alot of sexist fanboys were butthurt about all the men taking orders from a woman too /sarc; and then aiding in the attempted rescue of Han on Cloud City and later back at Jabba's palace, where she single handedly murdered the big slob himself.

But yeah, she's completely helpless without a man by her side and is just there for the "amusement" of the male audience.  Totally a minor character in the grand scheme of things.

As for comparing Rey's actions in VII to that of 8 year old Anakin's in Episode I... you're not doing yourself any favors by comparing the latest SW film to arguably the worst in the series, one of the many reasons it earns the title being of course the "character" of Young Anakin and the ridiculousness of the plot itself.

And Luke was already established as a decent pilot who could "bullseye womprats with his T-16" before joining the rebels' attack on the Death Star... it's not like he took the helm of the Millenum Falcon in ANH and within 5 minutes could basically replace the roles of Han and Chewie on the ship in terms of both piloting and maintaining / repairing it.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

This is the best response to SW:TFA criticisms that I have seen.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/tired-of-complaints-about-star-wars-the-force-awakens-plot-holes-read-this-20160107

Wright said:

Was he so right you had the need to tell him twice?

Two Wrights do make an airplane lol.

thismeintiel said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
thismeintiel said:

I really wish we could stop with these poorly worded responses to excuse bad writing.  And by your logic, Luke should have already had the Jedi skills, too, since he is the son of one of the most power Jedis.  Oh wait...he actually had an interesting story arc and had to train, as well as dispell his disbelief in the power of the Force. 

Both Luke and Anakin had to take years to truly master the Force, where as Rey, who has never even freaking heard of the Force, nearly masters it within a day or two of learning about it.  Yep, great writing there.  What happened is they took the lazy way out of showing training and had her learn it through girl power.  They knew white knights and feminists would defend it with the most overused excuse of the time, sexism.  Of course, objective viewers see it for the lazy writing it was, even if overall they enjoyed the film.

Lazy writing perhaps.

When watching the movie what I got out of it was that Rey was a goddamned prodigy. And unlike with Anakin, we aren't told she's a prodigy, they show it.

It was only after she mind read Kylo Ren accidentally that she realized she had the force, and used the mind trick on a whim.

To say she's mastered the force is an exaggeration, she only used it to retrieve her lightsaber and trick a stormtrooper. 

Plus neither Luke nor Anakin had the force really affect them till they were already training, while Rey was exposed to it much earlier. Both of them could've had it but nor realized beforehand, unlike Rey, so its not a stretch that she could just start using it.

@everyone else:

Here is Nostalgia Critic's review:

THe last few words are what I think is the most important:

CS: Wow, that actually made things a lot better.

NC: Well, yeah. Trying to make up for the sins of the past holiday special.

CS: So that's why you did so many things the other one did?

NC: Exactly! If I wanna move forward with more specials, I have to prove I can do a regular one ok. So I stick to the formula, only this time I do it a lot better.

NC: Shit this is a metaphor isn't it?

CS: Pretty much.

NC: I guess it does kinda make sense when you really think about it. After so many years of people hating the prequel, these filmmakers had a lot to prove. So they had to demonstrate that they could do something that looks and feels like Star Wars before they can move forward with anything different. Sure a lot of it is on repeat, but its done in such an entertaining and whimsical way, that its still really enjoyable. And who knows maybe the new stuff that should've gotten more attention in this film, will get attention in the next film.

CS: And besides they've done practically every plot thread the other movies have done. Theres not many left, leaving it open to new ideas in upcoming films. It's not a classic, but it doesn't need to be yet. It's the reintroduction of an old freind, whose taken a beating, and just needed to show that he's going to be ok before he accomplishes better things.

Yet, more poor excuses for lazy writing.  Sounds just like the fans of the prequels when they released.  And even though the prequels did the stupid "Anakin is basically Jedi Jesus"  they had enough sense to NOT have him master everything on his own, in the matter of a few days of finding out about the Force.  It took him years to pull off the crap Rey is doing.  Same goes for Luke. So, yes, it is a stretch you can go 0-Jedi in under 48 hours.  And she did a lot more than pull a lightsaber and trick a stormtrooper.  She stopped a trained Jedi from reading her thoughts, while seeing into his.  She did a mind trick, something Luke could only do til movie 3 in the OG trilogy.  She used it to defeat a trained Jedi/Sith in a lightsaber battle.  And that said lightsaber was not just laying there, a trained Jedi/Sith was trying to pull it towards him at the time.

The true sad thing is that no one would be defending this poor writing if it was a man.  They would have expected more.  And they have been given more in the past.  But because it wasn't, we have to have those that sympatize with the modern feminist movement defending because of... uh...sexism. 

And don't post NC like he's the end all be all on opinions.  His is also a poor excuse.  You can do something different AND it be good.  Many movies have proven this before.  With that thinking Empire and Jedi should have been exactly like Hope, with slight changes, and would have been exceptable.  Many people have even given suggestions for what they could have done to this movie to make it different, but not seem like a paint by numbers, and quite a few of them have been very good.  Sadly, Hollywood likes to keep playing it safe and/or played out, and people keep making excuses for them.  Yet, some of those same people complain about remakes.  Go figure.

I posted NC because he made a good point at the end, I disagree with his entire review.

The originals, the prequels, and the new trilogy are obviously coming in at different eras and different circumstances. Who the fuck cares that it was like the old ones, the last move came out a decade ago, the first one came out 4 decades ago. It's basically a reboot rather than a continuation anyway. Cause Star Wars isn't aimed for just those who watched the previous ones. After the prequels, how is playing it safe unreasonable? Please. And FYI, I've never complained about remakes, not even TLOU RE. Yeah story wise it was weak, but it had better acting then prequels and better effects than the original.

You keep saying Rey mastered the force, when all she did was beat a wounded sith in training who got shot by a laser cannon and was already established as being weak in the force.

You're exaggerating how proficient she is, she stopped Kylo on accident, neither of them knew she had the force, so Kylo didn't expect any kind of resitance.

I conceded that there was some lazy writing, but your acting like its was impossible for Rey to display any of the force power just because she wasn't trained.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank