By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - J.J. Abrams responds to criticism over TFA being a rip-off of A New Hope

sabvre42 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

I posted NC because he made a good point at the end, I disagree with his entire review.

The originals, the prequels, and the new trilogy are obviously coming in at different eras and different circumstances. Who the fuck cares that it was like the old ones, the last move came out a decade ago, the first one came out 4 decades ago. It's basically a reboot rather than a continuation anyway. Cause Star Wars isn't aimed for just those who watched the previous ones. After the prequels, how is playing it safe unreasonable? Please. And FYI, I've never complained about remakes, not even TLOU RE. Yeah story wise it was weak, but it had better acting then prequels and better effects than the original.

You keep saying Rey mastered the force, when all she did was beat a wounded sith in training who got shot by a laser cannon and was already established as being weak in the force.

You're exaggerating how proficient she is, she stopped Kylo on accident, neither of them knew she had the force, so Kylo didn't expect any kind of resitance.

I conceded that there was some lazy writing, but your acting like its was impossible for Rey to display any of the force power just because she wasn't trained.

Kylo, while being an emo pussy bitch -- was NOT weak in the force.

He singlehandedly caused Luke to exile himself due to whatever terrible shit he did; as well as was able to stop and hold a blaster projectile mid air for several minutes while continueing to carry on other conversations.

People KEEP saying that Ren is obviously Luke Skywalker's daughter... while if thats true and for some stupid reason the cause of her force affinity... then Kylo should be JUST as strong. Both are 1/4 Anakin.

But i mean ... lets totally forget the whole part about Kylo being trained by Luke (and not being abandoned on a desert planet) before being trained by a sith lord for multiple years.

Luke quit because Kylo killed all the other padawans iirc and b/c he couldn't stop Kylo from joining the dark side, not just because Kylo was super strong. Kylo however was insecure about his power, that's why he had the heart to heart with Vader, and what Rey read when she read his mind.

That being said even if we consider the possiblility that they are equal, what occurred in the move made sense after all. Kylo was shot by a laser cannon right before they fought, everyone who says its impossible for Rey to beat Kylo seems to forget that.

Kylo had displayed what force mastery looks like from the very beginning of the movie, all Rey did in terms of Jedi Feats is beat a wounded sith in a force duel and beat an unfocused sith in mind reading.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
sabvre42 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

I posted NC because he made a good point at the end, I disagree with his entire review.

The originals, the prequels, and the new trilogy are obviously coming in at different eras and different circumstances. Who the fuck cares that it was like the old ones, the last move came out a decade ago, the first one came out 4 decades ago. It's basically a reboot rather than a continuation anyway. Cause Star Wars isn't aimed for just those who watched the previous ones. After the prequels, how is playing it safe unreasonable? Please. And FYI, I've never complained about remakes, not even TLOU RE. Yeah story wise it was weak, but it had better acting then prequels and better effects than the original.

You keep saying Rey mastered the force, when all she did was beat a wounded sith in training who got shot by a laser cannon and was already established as being weak in the force.

You're exaggerating how proficient she is, she stopped Kylo on accident, neither of them knew she had the force, so Kylo didn't expect any kind of resitance.

I conceded that there was some lazy writing, but your acting like its was impossible for Rey to display any of the force power just because she wasn't trained.

He singlehandedly caused Luke to exile himself due to whatever terrible shit he did; as well as was able to stop and hold a blaster projectile mid air for several minutes while continueing to carry on other conversations.

People KEEP saying that Ren is obviously Luke Skywalker's daughter... while if thats true and for some stupid reason the cause of her force affinity... then Kylo should be JUST as strong. Both are 1/4 Anakin.

But i mean ... lets totally forget the whole part about Kylo being trained by Luke (and not being abandoned on a desert planet) before being trained by a sith lord for multiple years.

Luke quit because Kylo killed all the other padawans iirc and b/c he couldn't stop Kylo from joining the dark side, not just because Kylo was super strong. Kylo however was insecure about his power, that's why he had the heart to heart with Vader, and what Rey read when she read his mind.

That being said even if we consider the possiblility that they are equal, what occurred in the move made sense after all. Kylo was shot by a laser cannon right before they fought, everyone who says its impossible for Rey to beat Kylo seems to forget that.

Kylo had displayed what force mastery looks like from the very beginning of the movie, all Rey did in terms of Jedi Feats is beat a wounded sith in a force duel and beat an unfocused sith in mind reading.

I'm not even sure we know exactly what happened during that sequence. Kylo obviously seems to have played a role but it may have been someone else doing the killing (or several others). 

It's explictly stated in this film that Kylo Ren's training is not complete.

I don't see a reason why TFA couldn't have had a more original plot. Instead we just got a fancy remaster which only raised further questions.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
sabvre42 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Don't forget all the force powers that she discovered on her own.... the same ones that were at least demonstrated and usually TAUGHT to the other force sensatives throughout all of Star Wars Lore. I mean read the jedi academy books... all those simple tricks you guys keep trying to downplay were not that simple...

The WHOLE reason JJ Abrams even put them in the film was for fan service to hit back on powers from the original trilogy.

Do you know SW lore at all? Do you realize that the force was always existing was discovered by one Jedi master who then taught it down the ages. He attained mastery by being able to tap into it... and from then on ... NO force sensative gained powers on their own? 

Rey totally destroys this lore. As many times as I've said it -- there is NO precedence in 25,000 years for someone to do what Rey did.

sabvre42 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
sabvre42 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Don't forget all the force powers that she discovered on her own.... the same ones that were at least demonstrated and usually TAUGHT to the other force sensatives throughout all of Star Wars Lore. I mean read the jedi academy books... all those simple tricks you guys keep trying to downplay were not that simple...

The WHOLE reason JJ Abrams even put them in the film was for fan service to hit back on powers from the original trilogy.

Do you know SW lore at all? Do you realize that the force was always existing was discovered by one Jedi master who then taught it down the ages. He attained mastery by being able to tap into it... and from then on ... NO force sensative gained powers on their own? 

Rey totally destroys this lore. As many times as I've said it -- there is NO precedence in 25,000 years for someone to do what Rey did.

Ugh. I'm glad they burned the EU garbage for what it is. Garbage. 

The only thing worthwhile from that was the Timothy Zahn stuff and even that started to get silly towards the end. 

Around the Network

You do know that none of those books are canon anymore, right? Only the movies and television shows are even relevant here.

We have two movies worth of protagonists who started out being able to utilize the force with minimal to no training. That's what's relevant here.

I'll repeat something I said earlier, but add a few important words: IN THE CONTEXT OF THE MOVIES, the force has always been this vague, mysterious, mystical power. It's not a martial art. It's not something you need education to attain. It is a gift. A super power. The training that jedi receive isn't to attain this gift, but to master it.

Anakin was using the force to podrace, guess jedi flash cards, and fly a starfighter into orbit and accidentally explode a droid control ship before he received a single lesson on how to utilize the force from anyone. Luke Skywalker was simply told to "use his feelings" and all of a sudden he was blocking lasers with a lightsaber and making impossible shots that veteran pilots couldn't make to explode the Death Star. The next movie he was using telekinesis on his lightsaber, with absolutely NO additional training from a jedi master, nor any onscreen training or mention of it happening off screen. It's just...a power he has now. Because he's a goddamn Skywalker, and they can just do this crap.

Rey, at worst, just demonstrated that you don't need special instruction to manipulate a brainwashed stormtrooper's brain (at least, providing the force is super with you, like Anakin, Luke, or Rey). Just like Anakin didn't need training for his jedi reflexes and flash card reading skills and Luke was able to block laser blasts with a lightsaber, manipulate torpedoes into a 90 degree turn into a shaft, fly a space craft in a dogfight against military trained pilots, or force grab a lightsaber. And heck, while I'm editing this: how DID Luke learn how to use force suggest by RotJ anyway? I don't remember Yoda teaching him that. Yoda's training was mostly philosophical.

Edit: Hey! Hey. The EU had some neat stuff. At the very least I wish KOTOR had been officially kept canon. But yeah, it could also be kind of a mess. Like, I used to love reading Star Wars encyclopedia book and wiki entries back in the day, and even the deep history stuff could be contradictory.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Basically a reboot, huh?  Funny how there's the Ep VII at the beginning. 

And the problem is you keep coming up with weak reasoning.  The worst is trying to pretend that Kylo isn't as proficient in the force, even though the movie showed us that he was.  From stopping a shot from a blaster, while continuing his conversation, barely concentrating on it.  Something we haven't seen before.  Lifting a person and pulling them to him.  Digging into peoples minds. He was freaking trained by Luke for years.  And used the Force to do something so horrible, and large, that Luke decided to live in exile, instead of facing him.  And now, he's been studying the Dark Side with Snoke for years, as well.

And given that Rey could defeat him sets it up that she is just as good as him, which is ridiculous after maybe 2 days of just finding out about the force.  Really, I wouldn't care if it turned out Rey was the most powerful Jedi EVER.  But for the love of God, show that journey, don't just have her get half way there on her own.  AFTER 2 DAYS OF NOTHING TRAINING!!

nuckles87 said:

You do know that none of those books are canon anymore, right? Only the movies and television shows are even relevant here.

We have two movies worth of protagonists who started out being able to utilize the force with minimal to no training. That's what's relevant here.

I'll repeat something I said earlier, but add a few important words: IN THE CONTEXT OF THE MOVIES, the force has always been this vague, mysterious, mystical power. It's not a martial art. It's not something you need education to attain. It is a gift. A super power. The training that jedi receive isn't to attain this gift, but to master it.

Anakin was using the force to podrace, guess jedi flash cards, and fly a starfighter into orbit and accidentally explode a droid control ship before he received a single lesson on how to utilize the force from anyone. Luke Skywalker was simply told to "use his feelings" and all of a sudden he was blocking lasers with a lightsaber and making impossible shots that veteran pilots couldn't make to explode the Death Star. The next movie he was using telekinesis on his lightsaber, with absolutely NO additional training from a jedi master, nor any onscreen training or mention of it happening off screen. It's just...a power he has now. Because he's a goddamn Skywalker, and they can just do this crap.

Rey, at worst, just demonstrated that you don't need special instruction to manipulate a brainwashed stormtrooper's brain (at least, providing the force is super with you, like Anakin, Luke, or Rey). Just like Anakin didn't need training for his jedi reflexes and flash card reading skills and Luke was able to block laser blasts with a lightsaber, manipulate torpedoes into a 90 degree turn into a shaft, fly a space craft in a dogfight against military trained pilots, or force grab a lightsaber. And heck, while I'm editing this: how DID Luke learn how to use force suggest by RotJ anyway? I don't remember Yoda teaching him that. Yoda's training was mostly philosophical.

Edit: Hey! Hey. The EU had some neat stuff. At the very least I wish KOTOR had been officially kept canon. But yeah, it could also be kind of a mess. Like, I used to love reading Star Wars encyclopedia book and wiki entries back in the day, and even the deep history stuff could be contradictory.

Yeah you got it pretty much. 

lol, gotta love the Star Wars fanboys crying 'sexism' when people point out how bad the script is.

Yeah...I'm not buying the sexism argument. People have overanalyzed plenty of male characters.