By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - J.J. Abrams responds to criticism over TFA being a rip-off of A New Hope

NightDragon83 said:

Yeah, SW fans who don't like Rey pretty much don't like women in general.  Must be why they also hated the "strong female" character of Leia in the original trilogy...oh wait.

Yep.  And many of the same men also hated Ripley and Sarah Connor SOO MUCH. /s

Around the Network

It was fine, it was all it needed to be .... a decent Star Wars movie with characters that actually care about each other.

The next one will have new planets and all that shit if that's all that makes a good movie to you.

Do movie audiences even give a crap about originality? Avatar (Pocahontas rip-off), Force Awakens (ANH rip-off), Jurassic World (Jurassic Park rip-off) are the 3/4 of the most successful movies of the last 8 years or so.

When people go to have pizza, maybe they just want .... pizza .... not a pasta dish. Stop trying to give them pasta.

NightDragon83 said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
sabvre42 said:
Its not even about the whole doing Episode IV again for me... but the fact that they fucked the entire lore and trashed the EU.

I am seriously butthurt over Rey becoming a jedi goddess with no training.

If Rey is a man, i bet you all have no problems with it cause reasons x and y.

The sexism in this thread is real.

Yeah, SW fans who don't like Rey pretty much don't like women in general.  Must be why they also hated the "strong female" character of Leia in the original trilogy...oh wait.

The funny thing is that if we were to apply Episode VII logic to the original trilogy, then Leia, as a direct descendant of Anakin Skywalker, should have been AT LEAST as in tune with the Force as her brother was since they are the exact same age.  Yet she exhibited hardly any ability with the Force throughout the entire trilogy other than to be able to sense that her brother is either in danger (end of Empire) or is OK (end of Jedi).

Meanwhile, a character roughly the same age as Luke & Leia were in the original trilogy with absolutely ZERO Force training whatsoever is able to not only fully grasp the concept of the Force nearly all on her own, but ends up being just as adequate with it as a guy who again is a direct descendant of the Skywalker lineage and has had several years worth of formal training from both the Jedi and Sith / dark sides of the Force.

For what it's worth, the funniest part of VII *SPOILER ALERT* was when Han Chewie and the token black guy (TBG) are on the "not-a-Death-Star" base trying to rescue Rey and destroy the shields or whatever, and TBG, after being called out by Han for having no idea how they were going to  accomplish their task, quips that they can just "use the Force"... to which Han retorts "THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!!!"

Apparently nobody explained to Han that in Rey's case, why yes, that's EXACTLY how the Force works... as a tool to quickly get our characters out of tricky situations and advance the plot when necessary.

Leia remembers Padme even though she was like a newborn when they last met. What kinda jedi superpower? Why nobody hates her because its impossible? Haha

Maybe because nobody trained them told them the truth about it and basically lived their child lives in a castle and a farm?

Han is not a Jedi, maybe if they let them they could have. Like common sense tbh.

AbbathTheGrim said:
NightDragon83 said:

The funny thing is that if we were to apply Episode VII logic to the original trilogy, then Leia, as a direct descendant of Anakin Skywalker, should have been AT LEAST as in tune with the Force as her brother was since they are the exact same age.  Yet she exhibited hardly any ability with the Force throughout the entire trilogy 1) other than to be able to sense that her brother is either in danger (end of Empire) or is OK (end of Jedi).

2) Apparently nobody explained to Han that in Rey's case, why yes, that's EXACTLY how the Force works... as a tool to quickly get our characters out of tricky situations and advance the plot when necessary.

1) Or maybe it was Luke that used his power to call on her? I must admit I always felt like Leia was sensitive to the Force, I even considered the possibility she would be a Jedi in TFA, but maybe Luke called on to her using his power?

I want to believe that Luke somehow activated (lmao) Rey's powers from afar, like next-level Force power from when he called on to Leia.

2) To be fair with Han, he never witnessed Rey doing Force-stuff to have a chance to tell her: "You aren't supposed to do any of that!" :P

I still think JJ & Co rushed Rey's character arc in the film out of both timing / convenience, and of fan service with the repeated callbacks to episodes IV-VI.

2) LOL!  But to be even more fair with Han, here was there pretty much from Day 1 of Luke's training with Obi Wan and saw him go through his early trials and tribulations in developing his understanding and command of the Force firsthand, so Han at the very least was aware that people don't usually go from not even knowing what the Force is to Force Level 10 over the course of a few days lol.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

People shouldn't have expected the movie to be anything more than a dumb blockbuster. It was always going to be that.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
NightDragon83 said:

OMG I know rite?!?!  Can't stand either of those movie franchises!

And to this day I haven't even been able to pick up a Metroid game after I found out that Samus was a chick wayyyy back in grade school.

Female bounty hunter my ass!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:

I still think JJ & Co rushed Rey's character arc in the film out of both timing / convenience, and of fan service with the repeated callbacks to episodes IV-VI.

2) LOL!  But to be even more fair with Han, here was there pretty much from Day 1 of Luke's training with Obi Wan and saw him go through his early trials and tribulations in developing his understanding and command of the Force firsthand, so Han at the very least was aware that people don't usually go from not even knowing what the Force is to Force Level 10 over the course of a few days lol.

1) And who knows if J.J. & Co also opted to forget about some stuff from the prequels, kind of like going for a more "space wizards" from the originals to the approach from the prequels.

Also we must consider that now we don't have a bunch of Jedi telling us how things work. xD Honestly, there isn't a lot of people who can explain things from the Force in TFA.

2) Plus Han must have spend some years with Luke after the events of Return of the Jedi, at least before he went to seclusion.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

NightDragon83 said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
sabvre42 said:
Its not even about the whole doing Episode IV again for me... but the fact that they fucked the entire lore and trashed the EU.

I am seriously butthurt over Rey becoming a jedi goddess with no training.

If Rey is a man, i bet you all have no problems with it cause reasons x and y.

The sexism in this thread is real.

The funny thing is that if we were to apply Episode VII logic to the original trilogy, then Leia, as a direct descendant of Anakin Skywalker, should have been AT LEAST as in tune with the Force as her brother was since they are the exact same age.  Yet she exhibited hardly any ability with the Force throughout the entire trilogy other than to be able to sense that her brother is either in danger (end of Empire) or is OK (end of Jedi).

Meanwhile, a character roughly the same age as Luke & Leia were in the original trilogy with absolutely ZERO Force training whatsoever is able to not only fully grasp the concept of the Force nearly all on her own, but ends up being just as adequate with it as a guy who again is a direct descendant of the Skywalker lineage and has had several years worth of formal training from both the Jedi and Sith / dark sides of the Force.

For what it's worth, the funniest part of VII *SPOILER ALERT* was when Han Chewie and the token black guy (TBG) are on the "not-a-Death-Star" base trying to rescue Rey and destroy the shields or whatever, and TBG, after being called out by Han for having no idea how they were going to  accomplish their task, quips that they can just "use the Force"... to which Han retorts "THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!!!"

Apparently nobody explained to Han that in Rey's case, why yes, that's EXACTLY how the Force works... as a tool to quickly get our characters out of tricky situations and advance the plot when necessary.

Leia isn't really that 'strong' of a character. She needs to be rescued in the first film and she's largely reliant on Luke or Han to do anything. She also knows how to get down in a metal string bikini for the amusement of the male audience too. Her character is tertiary to the plot, Rey is the first Star Wars female character around whom the plot actually centers around. 

If she had penis and looked like Mad Max's character (a desert scavenging bad ass) I'd bet money that a lot of this criticism would be muted, because "dood! he's a bad ass, and obvisouly he's prolly Luke's son! Can't wait for Episode VIII". But there's an awful lot of butt hurt that a little girl beat up the "bad ass" Sith, this violates some serious tenants of male Star Wars insecurities. The woman is too masculine and strong, the "evil guy in a robe" is too weak, this upsets some people. 

Also who's to say the Force manifests itself equally in siblings? A person who is a tremendous athlete with great genetics may have one kid that (to no one's big surprise) turns out to be a very good athlete, and may have another child that turns out to be a fat slob. 

We don't know if Rey has had any Force training either, she obviously has repressed memories, she fairly obviously may have been at Luke's Jedi academy too. She may have much more training than Anakin -- who was the only human to be able to race pods at 9 years old at 1000 mph while building protocol droids for fun and oh yeah his mom randomly got impregnanted with the Force, oh he also blows up the Trade Federation command ship at the end of the first film with zero training (NO NOTHING CRAZY ABOUT THAT Star Wars fans). 

And then there's Luke who manages to out run the best pilot in the galaxy (Vader) and blow up a giant space station *with his eyes closed!* after "training" with a blast shield for all of 10 minutes, lol. Goes from learning about the Force the day earlier to saving the galaxy 24 hours later with his eyes closed, outdoing the Rebellion's best pilots who likely have hundreds of flight hours on him. Sure. Sure. 

thismeintiel said:
NightDragon83 said:

That sounds vaguely similar with ''I have black friends therefore Im no racist.". /winks

NightDragon83 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
NightDragon83 said:

The funny thing is that if we were to apply Episode VII logic to the original trilogy, then Leia, as a direct descendant of Anakin Skywalker, should have been AT LEAST as in tune with the Force as her brother was since they are the exact same age.  Yet she exhibited hardly any ability with the Force throughout the entire trilogy 1) other than to be able to sense that her brother is either in danger (end of Empire) or is OK (end of Jedi).

2) Apparently nobody explained to Han that in Rey's case, why yes, that's EXACTLY how the Force works... as a tool to quickly get our characters out of tricky situations and advance the plot when necessary.

1) Or maybe it was Luke that used his power to call on her? I must admit I always felt like Leia was sensitive to the Force, I even considered the possibility she would be a Jedi in TFA, but maybe Luke called on to her using his power?

I want to believe that Luke somehow activated (lmao) Rey's powers from afar, like next-level Force power from when he called on to Leia.

2) To be fair with Han, he never witnessed Rey doing Force-stuff to have a chance to tell her: "You aren't supposed to do any of that!" :P

The reason people like me are angry about Rey is not because she has a vagina and is powerful. Rey isn't a mutant from Marvel/DC -- shes a force sensative human being.

Its because they changed the whole concept of the force from being a mystical power that people tap into to just being some major power people are born with. They removed the whole concept of people people needed to attain mastery and just turned Rey into a super hero (although most super heros still take time to come into their full powers).

By breaking cannon with this - they most likely just implemented power creep, and will turn this into the Jedi version of Dragon Ball Z.