By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - J.J. Abrams responds to criticism over TFA being a rip-off of A New Hope

kurasakiichimaru said:
sabvre42 said:
thismeintiel said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

I think their problem is not that she is a powerful female jedi, but how fast she seems to have become one.

Nah they are mad cause they overhyped Kylo Ren. He's a weak jedi-to-be-sith-trainee. It's not Rey's fault that she's better in tune with the force, the fact she has a stable mental and psychological status and the fact he has severe daddy issues are helping her cause. Chewbacca shot him too which made it really really easier.

You're saying she's a powerful jedI but without definite power levels between someone like Luke and her. Its possible near death Yoda or those unnamed  young Jedis could one shot her and Ben. 

Wow, I guess you weren't joking.

Well, I contend that you and the filmmakers are the true sexists.  One of three ways.  Either a) you are fine with her being completely in tune with the force just because she is a girl, while people on here would have been equally pissed if when they found Anakin in Ep. 1 he would have almost everything mastered everything in a couple of days, since that's lazy writing or b) you wanted a strong female character and to you that means "girl power" overcomes all or c) you don't feel girls deserve the character arc that a man would be given in having to train to become better.

For as much as they copied story elements from New Hope, Luke didn't have mastery of the force instantly. He was able to trust his "gut" (force) to launch a torpedo. In episode #2 he was able to do a force telekinesis (months after some minor Obi-Won training); and couldn't mind trick anyone until months after yoda's training and his confrontation with Darth Vader.

Luke was never able to mind read in any of the movies -- or even the books as far as I remember.

Rey was able to gain mastery over all these talents in ~ 24 hours.

The fact you keep on clinging to this when a simple explanation as a certain aptitude to the force is not even a remote possibility for you.

But ofcourse we have to go back with Luke, when he's probably the most inept to the force when he began training as Yoda said to backtrack us to the fact that Finn has such master potential when he can withstand Kylo Ren because of reasons unknown to man.

The fact Rey has to suffer these criticism because she's a woman with a gift. I mean in a fictional world where she beats a weak minded,injured, incompetent and unstable jedi-turned-sith-with-not-so-good-enough-training-in-both.

What is your star wars experience outside of the movies?

Have you read the books? The comics? Watched the spin offs (Clone wars)? Played the games ?

You clearly haven't, and hence you clearly do not understand why people are upset.

Around the Network

sabvre42 said:

You do not inherit force powers for being the child of someone. Luke was the child of anakin and did not just discover the ability to mind control.. He was demonstrated it by Obi-Won prior to using it probably years later (pending a force strengthening by yoda).

Kylo Ren was the whole reason that Luke went into hiding. Because of the shame he felt from Kylo years prior going darkside (and likely killing the other trainees). He had YEARS of training prior to snoke's training.

Chewbacca shot him in the leg. I guess this is CoD now right?

Even in the EU when Kip went godlike -- it was NOT instantaneous and he was somewhat possesed by a Sith Lord.

I guess you should go see it again cause he was clearly shot on the side of the torso and was also bleeding. Snoke himself also said that he had to complete his training so that wasn't even his final form. Rey didn't kill him, so the fact that she disarmed an exhausted, wounded and confused Sith trainee shouldn't be such a big deal.

gatito said:
sabvre42 said:

1.) Force Reflexes
2.) Natural Pilot
3.) Force Pull (Telekinesis)
4.) Resist Mind Reading
5.) Actual Mind Reading against a Sith (one that can stop blasters with the force and could force the superstar republic pilot to spew his guts)
6.) The ability to beat a trained Sith (one trained by both Luke for several years + Snoke for more) in a 1:1 lightsaber duel.

Its quite a bit more than a few minor tricks. 

Rey is clearly Luke's daughter so that gives her half the skills of a Jedi by default. She is also shown to be a strong character that takes care of herself, living on her own and surviving on a harsh enviroment unlike Anakin and Luke who were whiny and spoiled brats and had everything just handed to them. It's also possible she was trained before being left behind in Jakku.

And Kylo Ren is not even a Sith yet, he's still training and temperamental. Plus he was basically dying and had just killed his father, not exactly at his finest. Why isn't anyone questioning why he wasn't killed instantly by Chewbacca's blast. Is it a plot hole? Is he a Gary Stu or just a Sith God? No, people just let it go.

The truth is, Rey would not be scrutinized so much if she were a man.

I really wish we could stop with these poorly worded responses to excuse bad writing.  And by your logic, Luke should have already had the Jedi skills, too, since he is the son of one of the most power Jedis.  Oh wait...he actually had an interesting story arc and had to train, as well as dispell his disbelief in the power of the Force. 

Both Luke and Anakin had to take years to truly master the Force, where as Rey, who has never even freaking heard of the Force, nearly masters it within a day or two of learning about it.  Yep, great writing there.  What happened is they took the lazy way out of showing training and had her learn it through girl power.  They knew white knights and feminists would defend it with the most overused excuse of the time, sexism.  Of course, objective viewers see it for the lazy writing it was, even if overall they enjoyed the film.

sabvre42 said:

You do not inherit force powers for being the child of someone. Luke was the child of anakin and did not just discover the ability to mind control.. He was demonstrated it by Obi-Won prior to using it probably years later (pending a force strengthening by yoda).

Kylo Ren was the whole reason that Luke went into hiding. Because of the shame he felt from Kylo years prior going darkside (and likely killing the other trainees). He had YEARS of training prior to snoke's training.

Even in the EU when Kip went godlike -- it was NOT instantaneous and he was somewhat possesed by a Sith Lord.

Rey didn't show any Force powers before she touched that lightsaber. I want to believe that Luke has become so knowledgeable of the Force that he somehow "awakens" (I suppose) the talent of people with affinity to the Force via objects or stuff, like the lightsaber, or something.

I expect that to be explained, at least a little, in the next film. I had the impression Luke was somewhat aware of what was happening with Rey and Co.

If they don't explain it then I suppose the writers have a an even vaguer approach to explaining things in Star Wars.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

sabvre42 said:
gatito said:
sabvre42 said:

1.) Force Reflexes
2.) Natural Pilot
4.) Resist Mind Reading
5.) Actual Mind Reading against a Sith (one that can stop blasters with the force and could force the superstar republic pilot to spew his guts)
6.) The ability to beat a trained Sith (one trained by both Luke for several years + Snoke for more) in a 1:1 lightsaber duel.

Rey is clearly Luke's daughter so that gives her half the skills of a Jedi by default. She is also shown to be a strong character that takes care of herself, living on her own and surviving on a harsh enviroment unlike Anakin and Luke who were whiny and spoiled brats and had everything just handed to them. It's also possible she was trained before being left behind in Jakku.

And Kylo Ren is not even a Sith yet, he's still training and temperamental. Plus he was basically dying and had just killed his father, not exactly at his finest. Why isn't anyone questioning why he wasn't killed instantly by Chewbacca's blast. Is it a plot hole? Is he a Gary Stu or just a Sith God? No, people just let it go.

Who said it can't be possible? I mean you're not even a jedi to have the license to tell us what is and what's not possible through the force. I mean, unless you have the authorithy to fact check the universe, I digress. If its possible for Luke to master the force in a short notice who in my opinion actually had a sheltered life compared to Rey, then it's possible for someone like Rey who had a much worse life and environment than Luke to master it too in a much harder condition like her life was in total peril.

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
amp316 said:
Don't give Doctor Who to this guy. He already crapped all over Star Trek and Star Wars.

There were some things in The Force Awakens I rather wish were done differently. Star Trek felt very different to the originals.

the first star trek movie was great, the second was crap and the thid looks weird.

Heavenly_King said:

the first star trek movie was great, the second was crap and the thid looks weird.

I enjoyed the first one. I haven't seen the second yet again ^^' cuz I plan on watching every Star Trek TV Series before I retake that franchise. Daunting veunture...

kurasakiichimaru said:
sabvre42 said:
Its not even about the whole doing Episode IV again for me... but the fact that they fucked the entire lore and trashed the EU.

I am seriously butthurt over Rey becoming a jedi goddess with no training.

If Rey is a man, i bet you all have no problems with it cause reasons x and y.

The sexism in this thread is real.

Yeah, SW fans who don't like Rey pretty much don't like women in general.  Must be why they also hated the "strong female" character of Leia in the original trilogy...oh wait.

The funny thing is that if we were to apply Episode VII logic to the original trilogy, then Leia, as a direct descendant of Anakin Skywalker, should have been AT LEAST as in tune with the Force as her brother was since they are the exact same age.  Yet she exhibited hardly any ability with the Force throughout the entire trilogy other than to be able to sense that her brother is either in danger (end of Empire) or is OK (end of Jedi).

Meanwhile, a character roughly the same age as Luke & Leia were in the original trilogy with absolutely ZERO Force training whatsoever is able to not only fully grasp the concept of the Force nearly all on her own, but ends up being just as adequate with it as a guy who again is a direct descendant of the Skywalker lineage and has had several years worth of formal training from both the Jedi and Sith / dark sides of the Force.

For what it's worth, the funniest part of VII *SPOILER ALERT* was when Han Chewie and the token black guy (TBG) are on the "not-a-Death-Star" base trying to rescue Rey and destroy the shields or whatever, and TBG, after being called out by Han for having no idea how they were going to  accomplish their task, quips that they can just "use the Force"... to which Han retorts "THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!!!"

Apparently nobody explained to Han that in Rey's case, why yes, that's EXACTLY how the Force works... as a tool to quickly get our characters out of tricky situations and advance the plot when necessary.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:

The funny thing is that if we were to apply Episode VII logic to the original trilogy, then Leia, as a direct descendant of Anakin Skywalker, should have been AT LEAST as in tune with the Force as her brother was since they are the exact same age.  Yet she exhibited hardly any ability with the Force throughout the entire trilogy 1) other than to be able to sense that her brother is either in danger (end of Empire) or is OK (end of Jedi).

2) Apparently nobody explained to Han that in Rey's case, why yes, that's EXACTLY how the Force works... as a tool to quickly get our characters out of tricky situations and advance the plot when necessary.

1) Or maybe it was Luke that used his power to call on her? I must admit I always felt like Leia was sensitive to the Force, I even considered the possibility she would be a Jedi in TFA, but maybe Luke called on to her using his power?

I want to believe that Luke somehow activated (lmao) Rey's powers from afar, like next-level Force power from when he called on to Leia.

2) To be fair with Han, he never witnessed Rey doing Force-stuff to have a chance to tell her: "You aren't supposed to do any of that!" :P

thismeintiel said:
gatito said:
sabvre42 said:

1.) Force Reflexes
2.) Natural Pilot
4.) Resist Mind Reading

I really wish we could stop with these poorly worded responses to excuse bad writing.  And by your logic, Luke should have already had the Jedi skills, too, since he is the son of one of the most power Jedis.  Oh wait...he actually had an interesting story arc and had to train, as well as dispell his disbelief in the power of the Force. 

Both Luke and Anakin had to take years to truly master the Force, where as Rey, who has never even freaking heard of the Force, nearly masters it within a day or two of learning about it.  Yep, great writing there.  What happened is they took the lazy way out of showing training and had her learn it through girl power.  They knew white knights and feminists would defend it with the most overused excuse of the time, sexism.  Of course, objective viewers see it for the lazy writing it was, even if overall they enjoyed the film.

Lazy writing perhaps.

When watching the movie what I got out of it was that Rey was a goddamned prodigy. And unlike with Anakin, we aren't told she's a prodigy, they show it.

It was only after she mind read Kylo Ren accidentally that she realized she had the force, and used the mind trick on a whim.

To say she's mastered the force is an exaggeration, she only used it to retrieve her lightsaber and trick a stormtrooper. 

Plus neither Luke nor Anakin had the force really affect them till they were already training, while Rey was exposed to it much earlier. Both of them could've had it but nor realized beforehand, unlike Rey, so its not a stretch that she could just start using it.

@everyone else:

Here is Nostalgia Critic's review:

THe last few words are what I think is the most important:

CS: Wow, that actually made things a lot better.

NC: Well, yeah. Trying to make up for the sins of the past holiday special.

CS: So that's why you did so many things the other one did?

NC: Exactly! If I wanna move forward with more specials, I have to prove I can do a regular one ok. So I stick to the formula, only this time I do it a lot better.

NC: Shit this is a metaphor isn't it?

CS: Pretty much.

NC: I guess it does kinda make sense when you really think about it. After so many years of people hating the prequel, these filmmakers had a lot to prove. So they had to demonstrate that they could do something that looks and feels like Star Wars before they can move forward with anything different. Sure a lot of it is on repeat, but its done in such an entertaining and whimsical way, that its still really enjoyable. And who knows maybe the new stuff that should've gotten more attention in this film, will get attention in the next film.

CS: And besides they've done practically every plot thread the other movies have done. Theres not many left, leaving it open to new ideas in upcoming films. It's not a classic, but it doesn't need to be yet. It's the reintroduction of an old freind, whose taken a beating, and just needed to show that he's going to be ok before he accomplishes better things.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank