By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has sold through 35.9million units as of January 3rd!

DonFerrari said:
JRPGfan said:
DonFerrari said:
36M very good, how was PS2 in the same timeframe?

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2

28.68 million.

So still 7.2M to spare =]

And about almost anyone wanting a PS4 already having bought one, it's possible that X1 won't get to 40M LT and WiiU won't pass 16M.

Hahahags

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

You know whats crazy to think about?

N64 from 1996–2003, sold about 33million units (abit under going by wiki).
PS4 in 2years basically beat the N64s 7 years of sales.

kowenicki said:

Brilliant figures. But that PS2 comparison is bogus to anyone with a brain.

PS4 wont pass PS2 lifetime.

Of course it won't. PS2 is in a league of it's own, nothing can touch it as far as home consoles go.
If PS4 manages to reach 95-105m with great software sales, that's good enough for me.

Viktor said:
So in other words PS4 was slightly overtracked here at vgchartz. But imo close enough, I guess.

Don't think so I'd be surprised if VGC gives the final week more than 600K and that's the current difference between the current vgc Ltd and Sony's. This is very good tracking by vgc over a period that is tricky to estimate.

Impressive result. I can't remember what I predicted as the Ltd at this time but I think it was about 36 million. I think I predicted 20% up YoY which would have meant 2.8 million up which is roughly what we've seen. I also predicted a 20 million year for 2016 and I think that's what we'll see.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Basically PS4 above 53% market share. Not to shabby.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Also 17.4 million PS+ subscribers

A more important, and more impressive number IMO.

Anyway, fantastic sales and even better tracking. Congrats to all involved.

Viktor said:
Roronaa_chan said:
Viktor said:
So in other words PS4 was slightly overtracked here at vgchartz. But imo close enough, I guess.

No, it wasn't.

Unless sales dropped like a rock after 12th Dec. right before Christmas I doubt that. The PR includes 3 further weeks from what we see now in the front page (Dec.12th 53.3m). Even Japan alone, which is one of the weaker markets for PS4, adds most likely an estimated 150k units in these 3 weeks. Which leaves 450k for the rest of the world, which means US, Europe etc. in the past three weeks, including at least 2 typically strong weeks. Since I doubt it sold just 450k in the past three weeks in US, Europe, Asia (without Japan) etc. it´s only logical to assume that it was "slightly" overtracked over here.

No, the website shows sales data to the 26th of December, ergo, it's missing one week.

Teeqoz said:

Is that really what they said? 60% more people subscribing in this period does not necessarily mean 60% more subscribers

Eikichi134 said:
kowenicki said:

Brilliant figures. But that PS2 comparison is bogus to anyone with a brain.

PS4 wont pass PS2 lifetime.

Of course it won't. PS2 is in a league of it's own, nothing can touch it as far as home consoles go.
If PS4 manages to reach 95-105m with great software sales, that's good enough for me.

Well I dont expect a PS5 until at least 2018 Xmas. If PS4 sells at a yearly rate of 18mil/year, it arrives at 90mil at the end of 2018. With another 2-3 years of end generation sales, it could reach 105-110mil. 

Basically it all depends on when PS5 is coming out. I am sure both Sony and MS wants to delay next gen as late as possible for obvious profit reasons. Will NX mess up their plans? It will depend on how NX disrupts the market. 

Roronaa_chan said:
Teeqoz said:

Is that really what they said? 60% more people subscribing in this period does not necessarily mean 60% more subscribers

What else would it mean?