By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has sold through 35.9million units as of January 3rd!

Amazing sales!!! And very good Global tracking from VGChartz!!!

Around the Network

Lol when I read the title and saw PS4 at 35.3 millions on the page with one week left, I was like :"ok so VGchartz added the last week and they did 600k for a 50% drop post Christmas". Then I go into the thread and it is actually official numbers. Superb tracking from VGChartz this time.

Metroid33slayer said:
zorg1000 said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see 2016 higher. It has a pretty solid list of exclusives releasing throughout the year, PS VR could potentially be a system seller along the lines of the original Kinect, Japan has its big hitters releasing, price will be lower throughout the year.

But you also have to factor in that most of the people that want a ps4 have already got one. I remember people saying that 3ds would sell gangbusters in 2013 because of poke'mon x & y, monster hunter 4, zelda ALBW and animal crossing etc. It actually sold worse than the previous year when there were no huge exclusives.

And i got it wrong it actually sold 17.4 million for the year. For some reason i thought it sold 18.2 million at the beginning of jan 2015 but it was at 18.5 million.

Are you seriously expecting the ps4 to drop like a rock in 2016 because "everyone who wanted one" already has it, like you said.  What's the logic behind that conclusion.

Comparing to the 3ds doesn't make any sense for obvious reasons

ghettoglamour said:

36 million consoles sold without ONE.SINGLE.GAME on the platform. What the hell is wrong with this world?

Oh god I hope this is irony...
Don't ask the world what is wrong, ask yourself what is wrong.

I've been hearing that everyone who wanted a PS4 already got one since summer/fall 2014
Yet it keeps being up
If you keep saying it every year, it'll eventually be true.

Around the Network

"PS4 haz no gamez!"

In 2016 thats no longer true..... theres plenty of people that want one that dont have one yet.

Id honestly be really surprised if the PS4 doesnt break 80m.

PS2 started slow... and just accelerated, its 3rd and 4th years where much stronger than its first and secound.

Unless the PS4 does the same, it ll drop off compaired to the PS2 at some point.

I still think it ll be ahead of the PS2, by next year as well, in the same time frame.

I really hope Sony are working hard at getting a die shrunk version of a PS4 out.

A slim version thats 50$ cheaper than whats on the market now, will give the PS4 the push it needs, to follow along the trajectory the ps2 did.

Thats the thing, they are just competing with themselves.

I would assume that Sony's goal is to surpass or get the closest possible to the Ps2 sales, thats their beacon this gen.

When the rest of the competition are not on par with you, you aim to compete with yourself for the better.

Xbox One and Wii U just cant compete with the Playstation brand, lets be real here.

Sony demolished the competition with the Ps1, demolished the competition with the Ps2.

The Ps3 is their biggest failure, and they went to get a second place in the race with a measly 10 million difference with the first place, which is nothing. Also, beating the Xbox 360 that released ONE whole year before, which is a huuuge advantage.

Now, the Ps4 is demolishing again the competition, proving once again that when it comes to Home Consoles, wether people like it or not (as shown here with some comments), the Playstation is KING.

assuming there are 2-3 million consoles out there, we may be looking at a shipped number of 38-39 million.

Dr.Vita said:
ghettoglamour said:

36 million consoles sold without ONE.SINGLE.GAME on the platform. What the hell is wrong with this world?

Oh god I hope this is irony...
Don't ask the world what is wrong, ask yourself what is wrong.

Sarcasm, not irony. 

Great numbers!

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Also 17.4 million PS+ subscribers