By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has sold through 35.9million units as of January 3rd!

I'm glad to be a part of those 5-ish million who got theirs this holiday season! Hell almost half of what WiiU sold its entire life!

Congrats Sony, you earned all this amazing success!!

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network

36M very good, how was PS2 in the same timeframe?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Metroid33slayer said:

So 17.7 million for the calendar year, very impressive indeed. Console's usually peak in their second year so 2015 is as good as its going to get in regards to ps4 sales.

Huh, no. The year where it was at launch price for 9 months, with less games and no VR isn't going to be the peak year. 19M in 2016 is doable

Viktor said:
Roronaa_chan said:
Viktor said:
So in other words PS4 was slightly overtracked here at vgchartz. But imo close enough, I guess.

No, it wasn't.

Unless sales dropped like a rock after 12th Dec. right before Christmas I doubt that. The PR includes 3 further weeks from what we see now in the front page (Dec.12th 53.3m). Even Japan alone, which is one of the weaker markets for PS4, adds most likely an estimated 150k units in these 3 weeks. Which leaves 450k for the rest of the world, which means US, Europe etc. in the past three weeks, including at least 2 typically strong weeks. Since I doubt it sold just 450k in the past three weeks in US, Europe, Asia (without Japan) etc. it´s only logical to assume that it was "slightly" overtracked over here.

Front numbers refer to the 26th, not 12th. 600k for the one missing week sounds reasonable. Heck might be even less than that, last week declines a lot so it could actually be slightly under tracked currently.

Viktor said:
Roronaa_chan said:
Viktor said:
So in other words PS4 was slightly overtracked here at vgchartz. But imo close enough, I guess.

No, it wasn't.

Unless sales dropped like a rock after 12th Dec. right before Christmas I doubt that. The PR includes 3 further weeks from what we see now in the front page (Dec.12th 53.3m). Even Japan alone, which is one of the weaker markets for PS4, adds most likely an estimated 150k units in these 3 weeks. Which leaves 450k for the rest of the world, which means US, Europe etc. in the past three weeks, including at least 2 typically strong weeks. Since I doubt it sold just 450k in the past three weeks in US, Europe, Asia (without Japan) etc. it´s only logical to assume that it was "slightly" overtracked over here.

On the front page we have up to Dec 26th.  So one week missing

What will be the first site to downplay figures this time I wonder

Around the Network
Viktor said:
Roronaa_chan said:
Viktor said:

No, it wasn't.

when i look at the front page i see 35.3M and December 26th.

if i look at the charts i see Dec 12 and 33.1M.  http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42351/Global/

Crazy sales. Sold my gaming PC and went back to PS4 this holiday season as well. Loved gaming PC but I can't stand having to use KB & M even if it's only sometimes. Also had to many crashes that involved me using KB&M to get steam going again or something like that which I also don't like. I was hoping I could get everything setup and then just use a controller all the time no luck though.

celador said:

What will be the first site to downplay figures this time I wonder

Viktor page?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

OK, my bad. I see, Dec.12 refers just to the weekly sales.

Well deserved.