By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has sold through 35.9million units as of January 3rd!

BraLoD said:
So that makes it 17.4M sold tbis year, right? Impressive.

Around the Network

Congratulations, Sony. Even being a Nintendo fan I will concede that this is a huge accomplishment.

Intrinsic said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

They shipped 20 million last March. 8 months later they shipped 10m more making it 30.2. Now they're just shy of 36m, so another 8 months should be at 44-45m which would be around August. So 50m by October probably won't happen by it'll be close.

Nice analysis... but it goes to shit if just before uncharted the PS4 gets another official price drop to $299..... and comes bundled with the game. oh, and a FF15 bundle too, and a horizon bundle.... 

I think people forget that this time last year the PS4 cost $399. Let's not forget whatever hype and sales boost VR generates. I would be very very shocked of they don't sell 9M PS4s in the next 10 months. 

I don't think anyone forgets the price last year before the price drop. I also expect another price drop this year to permanently $299 around the time PSVR launches. 

Not to mention the huge number of bundles coming this year with Sony marketing. Uncharted 4 is a given, along with another call of duty, watch dogs 2, street fighter 5, and probably a couple more. 

So it's very possible ps4 could end up with 55-57m by year's end. 

Great numbers for the PS4!!! 2016 should be just as big if not bigger!....and lastly....I want to thank some of the posters in this thread! It was a great read!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

CGI-Quality said:
Hmmmm...... alright, have a look at this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2664337.stm

34 months after the launch of the PS2 in Japan (March 2000-January 2003), the system had reached 50 million. The PS4 has been on the market for 26 months (on Jan 15). So, it would need to sell 14 million units by September. Can it do it? Anyone?

I could be wrong but I think Sony reported ps2 shipments back then as soon as they were created in the factory,  unlike now when they have to be sent to stores.  

So that's yet another advantage the ps2 had.  Bottom line is the ps4 will keep up with it until 100m and then will probably fall behind. 

Around the Network

Good numbers and VGChartz numbers very close...

Ten months ago, on February 15 to be exactly, I predicted that the PS4 would sell 17M on 2015, it sold 17.4M.

I also made a prediction for the next 8 year here (PS4 LTD Sales should be at least 140 Millions), next year it should be 21M totaling at 56M LTD.

I will also make a predication and say the ps4 will sell close to 24m units this year

End of 2016 prediction

PS4:43M-46M

XBONE:28M-33M

RolStoppable said:
CGI-Quality said:

As I figured. Wiki is hardly a source for this type of stuff. Then again, I couldn't really find much else. :P

Shipment data is good. There's no problem except that some data is missing.

Like I said in the edit that you didn't quote, the news article reported that the PS2 hit 50m in shipments. The PS4 should be between 37-38m by December 31st 2015, so it only needs 12-13m in the next nine months, not 14m. The PS2 will certainly close the gap in the coming year, because not even the most optimistic people are going to expect 22.5m PS4s sold in the next twelve months.

I'll take you up on that 22 million because,  why not. Btw, is that shipped or sold through? Lol