By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has sold through 35.9million units as of January 3rd!

CGI-Quality said:
Jranation said:
Did VGC overtracked?

No. 35.3m as of December 26, leaving 600K left through Jan 3.

Oh okay

Claps to the to the team here. I thought i heard tonnes of people here that it was waaay undertracked. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Jranation said:
CGI-Quality said:
Jranation said:
Did VGC overtracked?

No. 35.3m as of December 26, leaving 600K left through Jan 3.

Oh okay

Claps to the to the team here. I thought i heard tonnes of people here that it was waaay undertracked. 

I hate to be that guy, but it's hard to say that they were spot on when 1 week of sales is missing. 

ZhugeEX said:
The PlayStation 4 sold through 5.7 million units during the holiday period (Nov 23rd 2015 - Jan 3rd 2016)

Here is some comparison data

PlayStation 3 in same time frame (2008) sold through 2.2 million during this same period.
PlayStation 3 in 2009 sold through 3.8 million during this period.

PlayStation 2 in 2001 sold through 5.3 million during this period.

Do you know what the ps2 did this period in 2002?

Wonktonodi said:
ZhugeEX said:
The PlayStation 4 sold through 5.7 million units during the holiday period (Nov 23rd 2015 - Jan 3rd 2016)

Here is some comparison data

PlayStation 3 in same time frame (2008) sold through 2.2 million during this same period.
PlayStation 3 in 2009 sold through 3.8 million during this period.

PlayStation 2 in 2001 sold through 5.3 million during this period.

Do you know what the ps2 did this period in 2002?

It did 8.5 million units. But this number includes the full month of November. So November 1st to January 1st for example. Where as all the numbers above are from November 23rd to jan 1st. 

CGI-Quality said:
Nintyfan90 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Then, if that's the case (I mean, outside of Wiki - which I'll always have doubts about, since anyone can edit the data), I stand corrected. I still don't think 2015 will be the PS4's peak year, however.

Which means this could be its peak lol. Although I agree, holiday 2015 probably wasn't big enough to offset non holiday 2016. Giving 2016 the edge, I honestly believe without another price for holiday 2016 ps4 will be down. Gt wont save that lol.

It could be yes. Is it likely? I'm thinking no. Not at its current price and missing its strongest software. You're saying that a $50 price cut, in 2015, is as strong as a $100 price cut was in 2002? That makes the PS4 even more of a beast!

Besides, that was one PlayStation. I thought one example wasn't strong enough?  

That desperate spin though!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
RolStoppable said:
CGI-Quality said:

Indeed. One could also look another console if we're to scrutinize it this way. The X1 is ahead of the 360 in the same time frame, yes? Well, was the 360's first few years like the X1's? Was it as strong? Could you buy it in as many territories? 

Like I said before, if we break down current consoles versus predecessors and other brand's systems, I'm sure we'll find plenty of discrepancies. 

Um, yeah... that's exactly what people should do. It's called critical thinking.

Yeah, that's the point. If we do this once, we should do it universally. 

Then why you don't do it?   But if you go to the point of what Roll/Kowen say they are right.   If the first 21 months of PS2 in Japan are better than PS4 and the first 16 months of PS2 are better than PS4 = it can not be PS4>PS2 first two years. (not sure it is though). Otherwise people are trying to spin the news and just go to an NPD thread to see how people think of people who do PR spinning.

CGI-Quality said:
DonFerrari said:
CGI-Quality said:
Hmmmm...... alright, have a look at this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2664337.stm

34 months after the launch of the PS2 in Japan (March 2000-January 2003), the system had reached 50 million. The PS4 has been on the market for 26 months (on Jan 15). So, it would need to sell 14 million units by September. Can it do it? Anyone?

If we are going not exact months by end of the year PS4 will certainly be ahead of PS2 by 3-5M still on Jan 2017. 14M until September is very unlikely.

Unless they drop to $299.99, Uncharted 4 makes the world explode, or release a slimmer version in August (in time for Gamescom), I agree. 14 million is a stretch. I can see 46-47 million by then, however, but for those saying it will fall behind the PS2 this year, I'm inclined to agree.

Being PS4 shipped numbers likely 38M I beieve 12M is a possibility to reach by September end.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Great numbers!

since there seems to be a lot of PS2 related chatter going on, thought I'd chime in to point out that while I personally don't think the PS4 will end up selling to the extent of the PS2 in the long run, it's more due to the massive advantages that the PS2 had over its sixth generation competitors, advantages the PS4 simply doesn't have to the same extent. o.o I don't believe that not pulling 155 million units sold by the end of generation should be viewed as any form of failure, far from it, as (Looking at the factors that helped propel the PS2 to such overwhelming dominance) the PS2 reaching it was kind of akin to lightning striking a four leaf clover twice under a blue moon. O_O

Apples to oranges has been brought up earlier in the thread, with regards to how the PS2 only launched in Japan initially, but not sure if anyone has brought up the factors that actually swing things back in favor of the PS2.

For example, a good way to look at how the sixth generation began is to look at how the fifth generation ended; the original Playstation sold over three times the number of units as its nearest competitor, the Nintendo 64, and essentially annihilated other competitors like the Sega Saturn, and a smattering of others that barely got off the ground. Going into the pre-release period for the sixth generation, Playstation was the thing to own, and unlike the PS3's PR suicide, the PS2 took that success and built upon it to make the 'sequel' even bigger. By comparison, the PS4 certainly got a major hype boost after the initial stumbles of the Xbox One during the pre-launch period, I'd argue that the PS2 still held a hype advantage by the simple grace of being 'The Brand To Own' at the time, with Nintendo in an incredibly distant second place. (Albeit a much quieter hype since, y'know, no VGChartz back then. ;P )

Then there's launch periods when compared to the competitors. The first console to launch was the Sega Dreamcast, in November 1998 for Japan and September-November 1999 for everyone else... while it was the first to do so, it was coming off of the Sega Saturn, which (according to the number I could find anyway,) sold less than a tenth of what the original Playstation had sold. Soooo definitely an uphill climb, and ultimately the Dreamcast simply couldn't. The Playstation 2, meanwhile, launched in March 2000 for Japan, and then October-November that same year globally. Nintendo (its closest competitor in the fifth gen) didn't launch until September 2001 for Japan, and then November2001-May2002 globally, while Microsoft's new Xbox didn't launch until November 2001 for the U.S. and then Febuary2002-March2002 globally.

So in other words, PS2 had more than a year in every single market where its only sixth generation competitor was Sega, giving it the same kind of head start the Xbox 360 had against the PS3 in the seventh generation. What numbers I could find (admittedly Wikipedia,) suggest that the PS2 had already shipped more than ninteen million units by the end of September 2001, only two weeks after the Gamecube had launched in Japan only, and two weeks before the Xbox was to launch in North America only. That's an insane gap right off the bat, and God only knows it would have helped it secure lots and lots of third party exclusives going forward, to say nothing for the momentum. o.o In addition, this was the first console Microsoft had thrown into the ring, meaning they largely had to build up its fanbase from scratch. (Props to them in that case, as I do believe they edged out the Gamecube to secure second place.)

The PS4 DID also have a head start in many European and Asian regions when compared to the Xbox One, but it never had the same duration of a head start (the biggest gap I believe being maybe six to nine months, excluding really, really small markets?) and it launched nearly head-to-head with the Xbox One in many of the biggest single markets such as North America, the U.K., Germany, etc. In addition, by now the Xbox One had a sizable Xbox fanbase to draw upon, a far cry from the day it was the new kid on the block.

(Just to get this out of the way, the argument could be made that the Wii U had the same advantages, as they launched earlier than either competitor, and were coming off the very successful (though not PS2-level dominant) Wii, and they were even cheaper than their competitors. That's another story altogether, but basically the nature of the Wii's audience, some apparent marketing confusion amongst the casual non-game-following audience on whether the Wii U was just an attachment for the Wii, and obviously less-than-stellar third party support that subsequently turned into very poor third party support prevented them from capitalizing on those advantages. The PS2 had none of these issues, and indeed their third-party lineup was absolutely stellar.)

Then there's other possible factors, such as the PS2 also operating as a mulifunctional DVD player that could help get it into more homes (something far more common this generation,) and the fact that the thing kept going for more than a decade! o_O I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned a pricing advantage, but as I don't know much about the respective launch prices/price drops for the three consoles, someone else can feel free to pick up that thread if they have information to share.

tl;dr: The PS2 was an example of a perfect storm of things going right. It had the brand power, a substantial head start over its previous generation's closest competitor, and was able to rocket on from the success of its direct predecessor to attain new, lofty heights. And while the PS4 has had numerous advantages over its competitors this gen, the PS2's were all just bigger. =P IMO, it hitting the same overall figures by the end of the generation would be a miracle. (And to be clear, if it does just that, I'll be the first in line to eat delicious, delicious crow.)

That being said, let me reiterate, these numbers ARE fantastic, and that the PS4 can be favorably compared to the PS2's sales in any capacity are in and of themselves quite impressive.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Congrats Sony. 2016 is going to be huge!

50m in 3 years possible?

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One