By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has sold through 35.9million units as of January 3rd!

RolStoppable said:
mornelithe said:

Could be worse, they could be scrambling to make new hardware 3 yrs after launch :)

Or desperately hope that Gronk pulls it off all alone.

Even Gronk couldn't make the Wii U Sell :)

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Nintyfan90 said:
mornelithe said:

Well, I'd say it's encouraging at least.  Few, if any, of Sony's heavy hitters have hit the market yet.  Many due for 2016.  Granted, we'll have to wait and see how 2016 turns out, but if Sony releases all the games they currently have slated for 2016, there'll be plenty of reasons for people to pick one up.

Sony heavy hitters aren't very heavy.

If you think that Uncharted 4 and GT, for example, won't be heavy hittin' system sellers, I'd say you'd certainly be guessing wrong. Then there are console exclusive titles like Street Fighter V and multiplats like Final Fantasy XV.

Not enough to fight a price cut. Pokemon couldn't do it for 3ds and halo couldn't do it for Xb1.

Nintyfan90 said:
CGI-Quality said:

If you think that Uncharted 4 and GT, for example, won't be heavy hittin' system sellers, I'd say you'd certainly be guessing wrong. Then there are console exclusive titles like Street Fighter V and multiplats like Final Fantasy XV.

Not enough to fight a price cut. Pokemon couldn't do it for 3ds and halo couldn't do it for Xb1.

Do you mean to fend off an X1 cut or to maintain the sales the PS4 experienced by their own cut?

CGI-Quality said:
Nintyfan90 said:

In my very first quote I answered that.

OK:

Holiday 2016 it will be down because the price cut happened this year.

- Eh, that doesn't mean another can't/won't happen to $299.99 and that price point will continue to keep its numbers up.

Uncharted releases early next year which will help early next year but what will save it holiday next year? I can't think of anything big enough from Sony that can compete with a initial price cut. His Pokemon and 3ds comparison made tons of sense, Pokemon wasn't big enough to beat a price cut so why would anything Sony pulls out be big enough?

- Uncharted releases early this year, among other things. The Pokemon talk, I'm not sure that will really apply here. No one has suggested that one game will be enough to keep the system up over 2015.

How is 299.99 Sonys sweet spot? Didnt ps1 and ps2 launch at 299.99? Correct me if I'm wrong. If so then obviously majority of there sells came from below that point. Sounds more like Sony fan hope.

- See point one.

For the record though I do agree it will peak next year simply because non holiday 2016 should be stronger than non holiday 2015. I'm thinking around 18m next year and decline from here on out. Ps vr will simply not do much commercially outside of Sony fans simply because Sony has a history of not doing very well with peripherals. Move and PS eye say hello Sony fans. Honestly the playstation brand hasn't done much outside of home consoles.

- So you think it will peak in 2017? That differs from his point, then (something you're defending). And peripherals are irrelevant (particularly PS Eye/Move, both PS3 accessories), since no one has claimed they will create some magical sales miracle.

- My take(s)

So you are hoping for another price cut already lol.

Pokemon wasn't the only game 3ds got that year lol and even it wasn't big enough to fight a price cut. Uncharted is the biggest and isn't even in pokemons league, which still wasn't enough.

PS vr has been mentioned in this thread as a saving grace.

RolStoppable said:

I gave you a chance and you totally blew it. Oh man...

No, you offered something that had nothing to do with the thread, or the section of the forum the thread is posted in.  I brought it back to at least hardware related, even though it's not the hardware that the OP was discussing.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Nintyfan90 said:
CGI-Quality said:

OK:

So you are hoping for another price cut already lol.

Pokemon wasn't the only game 3ds got that year lol and even it wasn't big enough to fight a price cut. Uncharted is the biggest and isn't even in pokemons league, which still wasn't enough.

PS vr has been mentioned in this thread as a saving grace.

I'm not sure the word "hope" applies, but then, you seem to have a thing for making it about the individual.

In any event, the Pokemon talk remains irrelevant. PS:VR may have been mentioned, but again, nobody has claimed it will be why this won't be the PS4's peak year (which continues to be ironic, given YOU don't even expect that, yet continue to argue in favor of it).

I'm not arguing for it obviously, I'm just saying its quite possible. Some of you jumped on him about how ps4 will surely do better due to whatever. I'm simply stating it doesn't have any exclusive that big lol.

CGI-Quality said:
Nintyfan90 said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'm not sure the word "hope" applies, but then, you seem to have a thing for making it about the individual.

In any event, the Pokemon talk remains irrelevant. PS:VR may have been mentioned, but again, nobody has claimed it will be why this won't be the PS4's peak year (which continues to be ironic, given YOU don't even expect that, yet continue to argue in favor of it).

I'm not arguing for it obviously, I'm just saying its quite possible. Some of you jumped on him about how ps4 will surely do better due to whatever. I'm simply stating it doesn't have any exclusive that big lol.

Anything is possible, doesn't make it probable. As far as one exclusive game, what were the Sony owned titles that kept the PS1-3 from peaking in their 3rd years?

Didnt ps2 peak in 2002?

The PlayStation 4 sold through 5.7 million units during the holiday period (Nov 23rd 2015 - Jan 3rd 2016)

Here is some comparison data

PlayStation 3 in same time frame (2008) sold through 2.2 million during this same period.
PlayStation 3 in 2009 sold through 3.8 million during this period.

PlayStation 2 in 2001 sold through 5.3 million during this period.

Did VGC overtracked?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

CGI-Quality said:
RolStoppable said:
CGI-Quality said:
Nintyfan90 said:

Didnt ps2 peak in 2002?

Did it?

Yes, that's what the shipment data shows. Calendar year 2002 was the biggest year for the PS2.

Then, if that's the case (I mean, outside of Wiki - which I'll always have doubts about, since anyone can edit the data), I stand corrected. I still don't think 2015 will be the PS4's peak year, however.

Which means this could be its peak lol. Although I agree, holiday 2015 probably wasn't big enough to offset non holiday 2016. Giving 2016 the edge, I honestly believe without another price for holiday 2016 ps4 will be down. Gt wont save that lol.