By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has sold through 35.9million units as of January 3rd!

tak13 said:
ihh said:
Saleswise I think this gen will end a lot like gen 5

PS4 = PS1
Xbone = N64
WiiU = Saturn

PS4 should be a little over PS1 and xbone should be a little over 64 too. Wii U under Saturn.

Yep ,wii u will start by now, having negative sales, as a result falling below saturns 9.26m LT sales...

I read 17m for saturn, but it´s ok too. Every platform a little up then.

Around the Network
ihh said:
tak13 said:

Yep ,wii u will start by now, having negative sales, as a result falling below saturns 9.26m LT sales...

Yeah.. I edited my comment but you answered me before doing it...

This is the edited comment: Yep ,wii u will start by now, having negative sales, as a result falling below saturns 9.26m LT sales (at least this is the allegedly last official figure, there is a intense controversy about how much it did sell, eventually)...

I know, that there is a 13m and 17m figure too but they are debatable....

Anyway, we can't use saturn in the comparison... That's the conclusion!

tak13 said:
ihh said:

Yeah.. I edit my comment but you answered me before doing it...

This is the edited comment: Yep ,wii u will start by now, having negative sales, as a result falling below saturns 9.26m LT sales (at least this is the allegedly last official figure, there is a intense controversy about how much did it sell, eventually)...

I know, there is a 13m and 17m figure too but they are debatable....

It´s all right.

The comparison I was making is more about the discrepancy between the platforms, that feels like gen 5.

RolStoppable said:
mjk45 said:
CGI-Quality said:

One has to wonder why this wasn't called bogus. Consoles normally peak in their 2nd year? False. On top of that, a PlayStation won't peak before dropping to $299.99 (going by historic data). So, this should prove to be far off.

Exactly,  I was going to reply to that myth but you have answered it .

As a matter of fact the PS2's peak year was it's 3rd with 22million and the 4th was it's second best with 20million.

I wouldn't call it a myth when year 2 is the most common year for a console to peak. But it needs to be said that this is largely influenced by good third party support or the lack thereof; software sells hardware, and a higher quantity of software has a bigger chance to deliver quality software. The seventh generation aside, third parties picked the system that was selling at a faster rate than the competition. The result was that the winning system had a later peak and a more sustained one, meaning that there wasn't as sharp of a dropoff in sales after the peak year as it has been for losing systems. But since we've had a lot more losing systems than winning systems in video game history, the consoles with year 2 peaks outnumber the consoles with later peak years. Year 1 is generally rough because the price of the console is high and the game library small, hence why consoles usually don't peak this early.

If we now look specifically at the PS4 when taking the above into account, the likelyhood that year 3 will be the peak year is higher than for year 2. After all, the PS4 is a winning system and the direction of where third party support goes is evident.

There are of course factors that can alter a system's sales pattern, most famously the Gameboy revival on the back of Pokémon, but like this example should show, it takes something special to deviate from the pattern.

I stand corrected shouldn't have used such an immotive word, then again I'm insane and hyperbole is my game.

I should have made two things clear ,  (1) that what I saw as a myth in regards to the 2nd year was it being used in a way that makes it look like it happens 100% of the time  and  (2) by bringing it up that I wasn't implying that it never occured, just that it's not set in concrete.

By the way is this move away  becoming a trend .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

50m by October.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Hmmmm...... alright, have a look at this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2664337.stm

34 months after the launch of the PS2 in Japan (March 2000-January 2003), the system had reached 50 million. The PS4 has been on the market for 26 months (on Jan 15). So, it would need to sell 14 million units by September. Can it do it? Anyone?

probably 13 milion by end of september, almost 14 million shipped

Great for Sony and VGC! Hope ps4 keeps on selling great while delivering even more awesome games

Zanten already went over this. But the PS2 and PS4 are not comparable at all due to a multitude of factors.

And that is the point, PS4 is facing stiff competition in the Xbox One and still selling PS2 like numbers. Japan was much bigger back then, so if a console failed in Japan then it would not take off worldwide easily as seen with the Xbox. Instead we have Europe being a bigger market and guess what? The PS4 is dominating that market, and will continue to pull big numbers from that market. Which leads to yet again PS2 like sales.

We are in a generation where NPD and Mediacreate numbers do not tell the whole story or even the majority of it, it is Europe numbers and Rest of world numbers that matter. This puts a lot more emphasis on shipments.

For non holidays last FY Sony did 8.4m vs 6.4m for holidays. This year it is at 7m vs ~8m with Q4 to go as non holiday sales. Last year they pulled 2.4m and you better bet they will be up yoy as they have every Q this FY. Could be up to 3m making it ~10m vs ~8m. The vast majority of US sales are during the holidays, which de-emphasizes non holiday NPD months, expect 1m US and 2m rest of world for Q4.

So even though the situations are different for PS2 and PS4, it can easily be said that the PS4 is pulling PS2 like numbers.

KazumaKiryu said:
that is AWESOME for the videogames-industrie

How?

PS2 >> PS4.

PS4 > X360.
PS4 > Wii.

Can the PS4 outsell the PS1?