By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has sold through 35.9million units as of January 3rd!

Huge sales, it will be interesting to see if 2016 can top this.

i think it can, if they are aggressive with bundles through out the year, that CoD bundle for 350$ is a very good start. and an Uncharted 4 bundle in the middle of the year can move quite a lot of units as well.

it also depends if they are aggressive in the holidays like they were this year. a price cut then some promotions thrown at it. coupled with some more bundles and marketing deals. if they do all that, and Horizon and GTS arent delayed and make it holiday 2016. i think the PS4 can be up YoY.

Around the Network
Metroid33slayer said:

So 17.7 million for the calendar year, very impressive indeed. Console's usually peak in their second year so 2015 is as good as its going to get in regards to ps4 sales.

Would you like to make a bet?

Well I dont expect a PS5 until at least 2018 Xmas. If PS4 sells at a yearly rate of 18mil/year, it arrives at 90mil at the end of 2018. With another 2-3 years of end generation sales, it could reach 105-110mil. 

Basically it all depends on when PS5 is coming out. I am sure both Sony and MS wants to delay next gen as late as possible for obvious profit reasons. Will NX mess up their plans? It will depend on how NX disrupts the market. 

I hope that this gen last the same as the 7th gen.

Game nowadays take way longer to create than before, whats the point of having a console every 5 years when a AAA game from a legit developer takes around 3 to 4 years to produce? It doesnt make any sense.

Also, i dont think that Sony nor Microsoft are losing any sleep because of the imminent NX. They are too busy with their own stuff to be bothered about a company like Nintendo (imo).

leyendax69 said:
Metroid33slayer said:
zorg1000 said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see 2016 higher. It has a pretty solid list of exclusives releasing throughout the year, PS VR could potentially be a system seller along the lines of the original Kinect, Japan has its big hitters releasing, price will be lower throughout the year.

But you also have to factor in that most of the people that want a ps4 have already got one. I remember people saying that 3ds would sell gangbusters in 2013 because of poke'mon x & y, monster hunter 4, zelda ALBW and animal crossing etc. It actually sold worse than the previous year when there were no huge exclusives.

And i got it wrong it actually sold 17.4 million for the year. For some reason i thought it sold 18.2 million at the beginning of jan 2015 but it was at 18.5 million.

Are you seriously expecting the ps4 to drop like a rock in 2016 because "everyone who wanted one" already has it, like you said.  What's the logic behind that conclusion.

Comparing to the 3ds doesn't make any sense for obvious reasons

I never said drop like a rock so stop making things up. I said that 2015 could be it's peak year. That means even if it sells 17.3million this year (which is still insane) it would still be less than 2015. You childish fanboys really lose the plot sometimes.

~moderated - Torillain

No way 2015 is the peak year for PS4.
Im pretty confident both 2016 and 2017 will be bigger.

Also this might be abit to early to say, but it really does look like the PS4 is on its way to selling 115m or more console units, lifetime.

Unless something drastic changes, to its sales.

Slim PS4 @249$  + PS VR takes off  --------- > sales will be nuts.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Metroid33slayer said:
leyendax69 said:

Are you seriously expecting the ps4 to drop like a rock in 2016 because "everyone who wanted one" already has it, like you said.  What's the logic behind that conclusion.

I never said drop like a rock so stop making things up. I said that 2015 could be it's peak year. That means even if it sells 17.3million this year (which is still insane) it would still be less than 2015. You childish fanboys really lose the plot sometimes.

I would advise against personal insults. 

Now OT: What leads you to think it will sell less, when...

A. It's the first full year it will be below its launch price.

B. Two of its biggest IPs are releasing titles this year.

C. It hasn't even hit $299.99 yet (a historic sweet spot for PlayStation).

My opinion is different from yours, just deal with it.

Metroid33slayer

Wanna signature bet that PS4 sells over 19m next year?
My gut feeling is it does.

Next early jan 2017, when Sony again release sales numbers, it ll be that it sold 19m+ and be around 54,9m sold or more.

If you lose you ll have to carry "took a bet with JRPGfan and lost: underestimated PS4 sales".

If I lose, i ll carry the reverse. Lets say for a few months?

CGI-Quality said:
Metroid33slayer said:
CGI-Quality said:

-snip

My opinion is different from yours, just deal with it.

I have no problems "dealing with it". However, I remain curious about your conclusion. What would cause this decline? What about price cuts? Revisions? Big 1st Party system sellers? All relevant things.

I think demand will be marginally less because so many people already have one. If ps4 sells less than 17.4 million (53.3m sold through by the first days of 2017) then i win.

CGI-Quality said:
Metroid33slayer said:
leyendax69 said:

I would advise against personal insults. 

Now OT: What leads you to think it will sell less, when...

A. It's the first full year it will be below its launch price.

B. Two of its biggest IPs are releasing titles this year.

C. It hasn't even hit $299.99 yet (a historic sweet spot for PlayStation).

Holiday 2016 it will be down because the price cut happened this year.

Uncharted releases early next year which will help early next year but what will save it holiday next year? I can't think of anything big enough from Sony that can compete with a initial price cut. His Pokemon and 3ds comparison made tons of sense, Pokemon wasn't big enough to beat a price cut so why would anything Sony pulls out be big enough?

How is 299.99 Sonys sweet spot? Didnt ps1 and ps2 launch at 299.99? Correct me if I'm wrong. If so then obviously majority of there sells came from below that point. Sounds more like Sony fan hope.

For the record though I do agree it will peak next year simply because non holiday 2016 should be stronger than non holiday 2015. I'm thinking around 18m next year and decline from here on out. Ps vr will simply not do much commercially outside of Sony fans simply because Sony has a history of not doing very well with peripherals. Move and PS eye say hello Sony fans. Honestly the playstation brand hasn't done much outside of home consoles.

Metroid33slayer said:
zorg1000 said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see 2016 higher. It has a pretty solid list of exclusives releasing throughout the year, PS VR could potentially be a system seller along the lines of the original Kinect, Japan has its big hitters releasing, price will be lower throughout the year.

But you also have to factor in that most of the people that want a ps4 have already got one. I remember people saying that 3ds would sell gangbusters in 2013 because of poke'mon x & y, monster hunter 4, zelda ALBW and animal crossing etc. It actually sold worse than the previous year when there were no huge exclusives.

And i got it wrong it actually sold 17.4 million for the year. For some reason i thought it sold 18.2 million at the beginning of jan 2015 but it was at 18.5 million.

Except the big games for ps4 like gran turismo 6, uncharted 4, gta 6, Final fantasy 15/7 haven't released yet. The ps4 will pass out the 3DS with EASE.