By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has sold through 35.9million units as of January 3rd!

CGI-Quality said:
Nintyfan90 said:

Holiday 2016 it will be down because the price cut happened this year.

Uncharted releases early next year which will help early next year but what will save it holiday next year? I can't think of anything big enough from Sony that can compete with a initial price cut. His Pokemon and 3ds comparison made tons of sense, Pokemon wasn't big enough to beat a price cut so why would anything Sony pulls out be big enough?

How is 299.99 Sonys sweet spot? Didnt ps1 and ps2 launch at 299.99? Correct me if I'm wrong. If so then obviously majority of there sells came from below that point. Sounds more like Sony fan hope.

For the record though I do agree it will peak next year simply because non holiday 2016 should be stronger than non holiday 2015. I'm thinking around 18m next year and decline from here on out. Ps vr will simply not do much commercially outside of Sony fans simply because Sony has a history of not doing very well with peripherals. Move and PS eye say hello Sony fans. Honestly the playstation brand hasn't done much outside of home consoles.

Was $299.99 not where the PS3 sold the most? Is that not historic data? Smony fan hope? I hope that this isn't the peak year based on nothing? Yeah, it's time to re-read, my friend. Never mind that this makes number three where posters have to make it personal. The argument must be strong.

Also, a quick correction. Uncharted releases this year. 

Lol so ps3 is your historic data? Omg you trying so hard. That wasn't personal, that was a fact which you just proved with historic data being ONE example lol. Sony fan hope was clear from the beginning.

Around the Network
Nintyfan90 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Was $299.99 not where the PS3 sold the most? Is that not historic data? Smony fan hope? I hope that this isn't the peak year based on nothing? Yeah, it's time to re-read, my friend. Never mind that this makes number three where posters have to make it personal. The argument must be strong.

Also, a quick correction. Uncharted releases this year. 

Lol so ps3 is your historic data? Omg you trying so hard. That wasn't personal, that was a fact which you just proved with historic data being ONE example lol. Sony fan hope was clear from the beginning.

What is this crap I am reading?

The level of salt in this thread is perfect. Sony is doing gods work.

kowenicki said:
RolStoppable said:
kowenicki said:

Good point.

to clarify, the comparison here has been:

Ps2: 16 months outside of Japan with 24 months of Japan

Ps4: 24 months outside of Japan with 21 months of Japan.

Thanks.

If we want to take this further, "outside of Japan" doesn't mean quite the same. The PS4 was available in more countries quicker than the PS2 and that is really the key why the PS4 is considerably ahead of the PS2 at this point in the lifecycle, because in the long established markets the PS4 doesn't compare too well to the PS2.

People wont want to hear that Rol.

The Total time out is what counts.

There was nothing wrong with saying PS4 > PS2, for the time its been on the market.

That statement is true, even if it might not paint the intire picture clearly.

CGI-Quality said:
kowenicki said:
CGI-Quality said:

And what truth would that be? Is it false that the PS4 is ahead of the PS2 at this point in its life? If it is, a lot of pros have it toally wrong and we should let you do all of the talking. 

At last... thanks.

You didn't even answer my question, strengthening the pros' cause! Game. Set. Match.

I believe it is still launch aligned ahead. It was ahead of Wii as well. That gap is closing.

Another milestone, another truckload of denial and salt. This is the real reason why I look forward to PS4 sales updates

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
OneKartVita said:

You can't on one hand say the Ps2 has one disadvantage and then ignore the massive advantage it had.  And that was price.  

We all know the ps4 won't pass the ps2 but the fact it's easily ahead even at this stage is amazing.  Especially when the ps2 had games and the ps4 is competing with consoles that also have games.

It isn't ahead... that's the point.

And $299.99 inflation adjusted is about $420. So what is this price advantage you are referring to?

It's actually 398 and the ps2 gen was during an economic boom.  We're in the wake of a massive global recession now. As I said stop being biased.  If you're going to include handicaps then include them all. 

Roronaa_chan said:
Another milestone, another truckload of denial and salt. This is the real reason why I look forward to PS4 sales updates

Have you ever seen that gif with the salt tank sliding down the mountain? Seen it on gaf lol 

Can we please keep it civil.

By all means disagree, but stop it with the salt rubbish. I will ban fools. You have been warned.

CGI-Quality said:
Roronaa_chan said:

To be honest, I wasn't expecting such conflict. Then again, for some reason, mentioning PS2 sales, even from Nov. 15, 2013, always gets the topics pumpin'! Oh well! I'm all for it. Keeps the forums interesting, no matter who's ahead! ;)

Ps4 will reach 100M in around the same time it took the PS2 to do that. Only after that will it no longer outpace the PS2.

CGI-Quality said:
Nintyfan90 said:

Try this, respond without making it about the poster in question. 

To the topic, yep, the PS3 at $299.99 is an example. Again, is it not historic data that supports what I said? And, also, previous PlayStation consoles launched at $299.99 and had their best sales after their first major price cuts to $199.99. Never argued otherwise, so there's that.

I'll try. Its hard to ignore.

You didn't have to argue otherwise. Mentioning ps3 as your only source of proof was pathetic at best. Previous playstation consoles had best year after initial price cut is actually what I thought. Did ps4 not just do that?

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro