By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president: Nintendo NX is in steady development, no rush into market

He is saying this to ensure a 2016 release its not bad because the console it´s not rushed, its being in development for quite a long time.

Around the Network

I bet they're planning on releasing it whenever Zelda is ready to be a launch game.
That launch lineup is super important.

Nintendo needs to do something REALLY special with the NX considering it's going to come out at least 3 years into this console generation.

Sony, if you're reading this, do something new with The Legend of Dragoon. You will make me a happy man. Thanks.

So fall 2017 launch then. New handheld this fall.

GBA came before Gc
Ds came before Wii
3ds came before Wii U

Seems logical to assume Nintendo will release its new handheld before the console like they've done the past three gens now.

2017 it is then, it's plain to see now.

I mean, when was the last time Nintendo released a console the same year it was unveiled? It'll be at E3 this year for sure but no chance for a 2016 release date.

Around the Network

I think Nintendo has to at the very least release the handheld component of the NX in 2016. The 3DS had a good life but its sales are dropping like a rock in spite of the New 3DS coming out in most regions less than a year ago. The 3DS is also going to be nearly 6 years old at the end of 2016.

The Wii U could possibly last until holiday 2017 if Nintendo was serious about increasing the Wii U's userbase and the handheld component of NX was generating profit... The problem is that Nintendo is not serious about increasing the Wii U's userbase, in fact, they seem to be giving the console a slow death. Nintendo did almost nothing to help the Wii U over the holidays and it feels already a year too late for a price cut.  There's also the further problem that if you release the handheld component of NX a year early, it will probably cause Wii U sales to take a nose-dive in 2017. 

Nah, all the signs point to Nintendo replacing the Wii U in Q4 2016 along with the 3DS.

Paatar said:
NX will release in 2017. Just watch.

If so, what in the HELL are they going to release in 2017 to make people buy the Wii-U? They've already released subpar games to fill in gaps because of NX development and we haven't even gotten through THIS year let alone next. 

I just don't see the software to make it to 2017.

I still think it'll come 2016.

AlfredoTurkey said:

If so, what in the HELL are they going to release in 2017 to make people buy the Wii-U? They've already released subpar games to fill in gaps because of NX development and we haven't even gotten through THIS year let alone next. 

I just don't see the software to make it to 2017.

The Wii U is already dead, whether they release more games on it or not wont make any difference, especially when people will know NX is on the way. They honestly could just ride out 2017 without having a single notable software release if they choose.

Hiku said:
Ljink96 said:
zorg1000 said:

It would not be rushing, PS4 was officially revealed in Feb 2013 and released in Nov 2013, XB1 was officially revealed in May 2013 and released in Nov 2013, neither of these were rushed.

And gimmick free too. NX is something totally, different. Wii U was totally different from PS4 and Xone but it was unveiled in 2012 and released in 2013. There's no concrete chonology of course, but it just seems wiser on Nintendo's part because we know this could be ANYTHING. Not simply a souped up console like PS3>>PS4. They need time to flesh this thing out. No, a console shouldn't need an insane amount of time for the audience to understand, but with NX...I'm actually scared about what they're doing concept wise. I would rather ease into it.

Then how do you propose they get through 2017?
Keep in mind that even 2016 is filled with nothing but delayed games from 2015, or ports that were agreed upon/started development in 2013.
Just games of the quality of Amiibo Party and Mario Tennis all the way through 2017? Will that really cut it for WiiU owners?

Nintendo haven't shown any sign of investing in any new quality titles for WiiU since E3 2014. That's a long time of silence. As you presumed, that's probably because they have people working on NX games. Retro's last game came out Feb 2014. That would give them over 2.5 years to produce something for NX. The team that made Mario Galaxy 2, their last game came out Nov 2014. That gives them around 2 years. They could also get resources from the team who did Mario Galaxy 1, as they finished their last game at about the same time.

Not a question that I can answer. Try Nintendo instead. They said they wouldn't abandon Wii U owners just yet. Maybe they're planning some more games for next year. Who knows. 3DS has some good titles coming next year so it'll edge it out along with some surprises at E3. Wii U...anthing could happen.