By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president: Nintendo NX is in steady development, no rush into market

This will be a very fun and intresting year. Cant wait to see what this thing even is lol prob wont get it until years after because by then I will probably own a PS4. Still very excited.

Own:Nes,Snes,N64,Gamecube,Wii,WiiU,Gameboy Pocket,Gameboy Advance SP,DS,DSi,3DS XL,Sega Genesis,Sega Dreamcast,PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,PSVita and Xbox 360.

Looking to get: Original Xbox 

A significant portion of my soul died with the first "SMT X FE" footage reveal.

Add me on PSN: afnanthekooltrex 

Check out my YouTube channel:  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ6P0251NWOf7WUTsHmw_Q

Around the Network

I still beleive handheld is this year at least,then Console version 2017. I don't believe both will have a completely shared library so separating them means people won't have to buy both at once or be forced to choose one.

Hiku said:
Ljink96 said:
Hiku said:

Then how do you propose they get through 2017?
Keep in mind that even 2016 is filled with nothing but delayed games from 2015, or ports that were agreed upon/started development in 2013.
Just games of the quality of Amiibo Party and Mario Tennis all the way through 2017? Will that really cut it for WiiU owners?

Nintendo haven't shown any sign of investing in any new quality titles for WiiU since E3 2014. That's a long time of silence. As you presumed, that's probably because they have people working on NX games. Retro's last game came out Feb 2014. That would give them over 2.5 years to produce something for NX. The team that made Mario Galaxy 2, their last game came out Nov 2014. That gives them around 2 years. They could also get resources from the team who did Mario Galaxy 1, as they finished their last game at about the same time.

Not a question that I can answer. Try Nintendo instead. They said they wouldn't abandon Wii U owners just yet. Maybe they're planning some more games for next year. Who knows. 3DS has some good titles coming next year so it'll edge it out along with some surprises at E3. Wii U...anthing could happen.

Well I'm just asking what you think.
Giving us Amiibo Festival + Mario Tennis = not abandonign WiiU.
If someone says they think that WiiU will last through 2017, shouldn't they have some sort of idea of what 2017 may look like in order for them to not be doubtful about it when looking at the current software situation?
It's basically either that they'll go through 2017 with nothing but Amiibo Festival quality titles, or they announce a few new quality title for it. But it's been over 1,5 years since they last showed they had that commitment. Does it seem likely that they would "sacrifice" any more high quality games for the low WiiU installbase at this point? They did announce Pikmin 4 however, but curiously didn't say what platform it will be for.

As for 3DS, its software situation is similar to WiiU's. Most of the games we're getting this year have already come out in Japan last year. On the plus side, 3DS still sold twice as much as WiiU this year, so it does have that going for it at least. But it's also on a decline.

I was going to mention the 3DS japan situation but I underestimated you and didn't include it. Yes, Japan has the games that we're excited for this year except for 2 games that will be heavy hitters there: Dragon Quest XI and Yokai Watch 3. Pokemon's 20th Year celebration is this year so expect another Pokemon on 3DS as well. Nintendo won't let their consoles have absolutely nothing, they'll be fairly stocked. Zelda U hasn't arrived. Nor has TPHD or Star Fox Zero. I'm sure E3 will also announce more WiI U swan songs that will carry the console into NX. Wii U and 3DS combined are putting up a decent fight. Nintendo is trying to support both consoles at once. Something that Sony failed to do with PS4 and Vita. But this harsh development cycle is getting the best of them, I thnk. Which is why I am a firm believer that NX will aim to mend that area and allow Nintendo to release home and handheld versions of their games at or around the same time. It worked wonders for Smash Bros. The 3DS version sits at around 6 Million and the Wii U version is at 4 million. Effectively living up to Brawl's sales. I think this would be a good strategy for Nintendo to use.

Einsam_Delphin said:

AlfredoTurkey said:

If so, what in the HELL are they going to release in 2017 to make people buy the Wii-U? They've already released subpar games to fill in gaps because of NX development and we haven't even gotten through THIS year let alone next. 

I just don't see the software to make it to 2017.

The Wii U is already dead, whether they release more games on it or not wont make any difference, especially when people will know NX is on the way. They honestly could just ride out 2017 without having a single notable software release if they choose.

Yeah but at that point, we're looking at 32X type sales lol. I really don't think they're going to go past this year.

So basically no launch in 2016 is confirmed only an announce.
Fall 2017 probably.

Around the Network

There's Star Fox and Zelda for 2016 and whatever game they announce at E3 for spring-fall 2017.
Anything's better than a 4 year lifespan for a console, that's for damn sure.

Ljink96 said:
Hiku said:
Ljink96 said:
Hiku said:

Then how do you propose they get through 2017?
Keep in mind that even 2016 is filled with nothing but delayed games from 2015, or ports that were agreed upon/started development in 2013.
Just games of the quality of Amiibo Party and Mario Tennis all the way through 2017? Will that really cut it for WiiU owners?

Nintendo haven't shown any sign of investing in any new quality titles for WiiU since E3 2014. That's a long time of silence. As you presumed, that's probably because they have people working on NX games. Retro's last game came out Feb 2014. That would give them over 2.5 years to produce something for NX. The team that made Mario Galaxy 2, their last game came out Nov 2014. That gives them around 2 years. They could also get resources from the team who did Mario Galaxy 1, as they finished their last game at about the same time.

Not a question that I can answer. Try Nintendo instead. They said they wouldn't abandon Wii U owners just yet. Maybe they're planning some more games for next year. Who knows. 3DS has some good titles coming next year so it'll edge it out along with some surprises at E3. Wii U...anthing could happen.

Well I'm just asking what you think.
Giving us Amiibo Festival + Mario Tennis = not abandonign WiiU.
If someone says they think that WiiU will last through 2017, shouldn't they have some sort of idea of what 2017 may look like in order for them to not be doubtful about it when looking at the current software situation?
It's basically either that they'll go through 2017 with nothing but Amiibo Festival quality titles, or they announce a few new quality title for it. But it's been over 1,5 years since they last showed they had that commitment. Does it seem likely that they would "sacrifice" any more high quality games for the low WiiU installbase at this point? They did announce Pikmin 4 however, but curiously didn't say what platform it will be for.

As for 3DS, its software situation is similar to WiiU's. Most of the games we're getting this year have already come out in Japan last year. On the plus side, 3DS still sold twice as much as WiiU this year, so it does have that going for it at least. But it's also on a decline.

I was going to mention the 3DS japan situation but I underestimated you and didn't include it. Yes, Japan has the games that we're excited for this year except for 2 games that will be heavy hitters there: Dragon Quest XI and Yokai Watch 3. Pokemon's 20th Year celebration is this year so expect another Pokemon on 3DS as well. Nintendo won't let their consoles have absolutely nothing, they'll be fairly stocked. Zelda U hasn't arrived. Nor has TPHD or Star Fox Zero. I'm sure E3 will also announce more WiI U swan songs that will carry the console into NX. Wii U and 3DS combined are putting up a decent fight. Nintendo is trying to support both consoles at once. Something that Sony failed to do with PS4 and Vita. But this harsh development cycle is getting the best of them, I thnk. Which is why I am a firm believer that NX will aim to mend that area and allow Nintendo to release home and handheld versions of their games at or around the same time. It worked wonders for Smash Bros. The 3DS version sits at around 6 Million and the Wii U version is at 4 million. Effectively living up to Brawl's sales. I think this would be a good strategy for Nintendo to use.

At least they realized that and have combined their handheld and home console divisions to create better synergy.

I'll be furious if they still have handheld and console exclusives from their own systems.

Kai_Mao said:
Ljink96 said:

At least they realized that and have combined their handheld and home console divisions to create better synergy.

True. But that's the first step. Until we see the fruits of that merging, I can't talk much about it. In a perfect world, the handheld and home console divisions would communicate back and forth to reach a middle ground in which the NX Handheld and Home Console can easily coexist. But the NX has so much mystery and technology surrounding it, I really don't think I can pinpoint how the divisions even worked together.

Well, that sounds promising. I just hope they realize that before they release a new system, it better have some great games to go with it! A console needs a good line up of games to sell! o:

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread