By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president: Nintendo NX is in steady development, no rush into market

Pavolink said:
Thinking about it, wouldn't be easier for him to just say it is not releasing in 2016 and assure more sales for their current platforms? Why to choose the word "rush"? hmmmm...

This is a good catch.
If it was not comeing in 2016, he would have communicated that clearly.

What hes saying is that the product isnt rushed or forced, that they have had the time to make the thing the way they wanted and are launching as planned.

Basically its :

"dont worry guys, we wheren't forced into this, and had to rush it, we planned for it and will have launch titles ready in time".

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Ljink96 said:
zorg1000 said:
Ljink96 said:
YES! SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT. So you guys can quit claiming 2016 release. The NX isn't something that should be rushed out so early, especially with the patents it might be utilizing. A late 2017/mid 2018 release is much more like it. By then, Sony and MS will be talking about their next consoles. Can Wii U survive that long? Maybe. It depends on what they have in store software wise. It's just too early for a 2016 release.

Like I said, it could just be him letting us know a 2016 release doesn't mean it's being rushed.

Maybe, but a reveal after a release would be quite foolhardy imo. All of these Nintendo 2nd parties, and 1st parties that are silent as hell are most likely working on NX titles. Games like Mario 3D (Galaxy 3) would most likely not release this year. Nintendo has to spend time understanding their new hardware to the fullest, as they barely understood HD gaming and robust online systems at Wii U's launch. At best, we'll get NX tech demos, teasers, and a hardware reveal. Next year, the actual release and games. Doing everything in one year would indeed be rushing.

They would have started working on NX titles in 2013 i reckon after Wii U tanked.

If Nintendo was forward thinking enough, they would have used a PC or PS4 to develop them on and then hopefully release the same architecture for their console so porting it would have been easy enough.

I'd guess Nintendo started focusing on the NX at the beginning of 2015.  I think they were betting a lot on their 2014 E3, Mario Kart and Smash giving the Wii U a resurgence and when they failed to do so, decided to cut their losses and move all of their unannounced major projects to the NX.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

wombat123 said:
Cobretti2 said:
Ljink96 said:
zorg1000 said:
Ljink96 said:
YES! SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT. So you guys can quit claiming 2016 release. The NX isn't something that should be rushed out so early, especially with the patents it might be utilizing. A late 2017/mid 2018 release is much more like it. By then, Sony and MS will be talking about their next consoles. Can Wii U survive that long? Maybe. It depends on what they have in store software wise. It's just too early for a 2016 release.

Like I said, it could just be him letting us know a 2016 release doesn't mean it's being rushed.

Maybe, but a reveal after a release would be quite foolhardy imo. All of these Nintendo 2nd parties, and 1st parties that are silent as hell are most likely working on NX titles. Games like Mario 3D (Galaxy 3) would most likely not release this year. Nintendo has to spend time understanding their new hardware to the fullest, as they barely understood HD gaming and robust online systems at Wii U's launch. At best, we'll get NX tech demos, teasers, and a hardware reveal. Next year, the actual release and games. Doing everything in one year would indeed be rushing.

They would have started working on NX titles in 2013 i reckon after Wii U tanked.

If Nintendo was forward thinking enough, they would have used a PC or PS4 to develop them on and then hopefully release the same architecture for their console so porting it would have been easy enough.

I'd guess Nintendo started focusing on the NX at the beginning of 2015.  I think they were betting a lot on their 2014 E3, Mario Kart and Smash giving the Wii U a resurgence and when they failed to do so, decided to cut their losses and move all of their unannounced major projects to the NX.

They've been working on NX since mid-2014 at least. Iwata basically admits it here ...

"Also, the idea I mentioned about redefining the definition of video game platforms will also require approximately two years."

- May 2014

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818167

JRPGfan said:
Paatar said:
NX will release in 2017. Just watch.

RIP Wii U... 2016 games where? are nintendo just planning to have nothing for the Wii U all of 2016? if its not because they are launching a new console....

Then I dont know what to say.... thats kinda sh*tty of nintendo.

Well besides what we already know is going to be released in 2016 (Zelda, Fire Emblem Fates, #FE, Pokken, Dragon Quest VII and VIII in the West, Twilight Princess HD, etc.), we're not sure what else to expect. They'll probably announce something later through directs and all. It's only the 4th day of 2016 so we don't know the whole picture of what's to come. 

Around the Network

Good don´t rush it, they need to make this console as great as it can be because this may be their last chance in the home console market.

He also said they will reveal it in 2016, which was a known fact, but it's always good to reassure.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Kai_Mao said:
JRPGfan said:

RIP Wii U... 2016 games where? are nintendo just planning to have nothing for the Wii U all of 2016?

Well besides what we already know is going to be released in 2016 (Zelda, Fire Emblem Fates, #FE, Pokken, Dragon Quest VII and VIII in the West, Twilight Princess HD, etc.), we're not sure what else to expect. They'll probably announce something later through directs and all. It's only the 4th day of 2016 so we don't know the whole picture of what's to come. 

for the Wii U though.

Fire Emblem Fates (3ds), Dragon Quest VII (3ds) (old game), Dragon Quest VIII (3ds) (old game)

Genei Ibun Roku #FE (wii u), Pokken (wii u), Twilight Princess HD (wii u) (old game)

Basically of the games you listed only 2 are new games, for the Wii u, right? or am I missing something?

JRPGfan said:
Kai_Mao said:

for the Wii U though.

Fire Emblem Fates (3ds), Dragon Quest VII (3ds) (old game), Dragon Quest VIII (3ds) (old game)

Genei Ibun Roku #FE (wii u), Pokken (wii u), Twilight Princess HD (wii u) (old game)

Basically of the games you listed only 2 are new games, for the Wii u, right? or am I missing something?

Star Fox Zero is coming to the Wii U as well.

zorg1000 said:
Ljink96 said:
zorg1000 said:
Ljink96 said:

It would not be rushing, PS4 was officially revealed in Feb 2013 and released in Nov 2013, XB1 was officially revealed in May 2013 and released in Nov 2013, neither of these were rushed.

And gimmick free too. NX is something totally, different. Wii U was totally different from PS4 and Xone but it was unveiled in 2012 and released in 2013. There's no concrete chonology of course, but it just seems wiser on Nintendo's part because we know this could be ANYTHING. Not simply a souped up console like PS3>>PS4. They need time to flesh this thing out. No, a console shouldn't need an insane amount of time for the audience to understand, but with NX...I'm actually scared about what they're doing concept wise. I would rather ease into it.