By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Nintendo had to, which one?

If Nintendo was forced to merge with Sony or Microsoft, which one would it be?

Sony 281 80.98%

Microsoft 66 19.02%

Total:347

Merging just won't happen. Nintendo is too big for that.

But if we're talking about a joint hardware, I'd like if it was neither of the two. Korean companies like LG and Samsung are the best in the electronics market and I think it's time they tried to make a console.

Around the Network

Yeah, totally Microsoft, just look what they made out of Rare!

Seriously, Sony, it should not even be a question. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Nintendo would become a third party rather than merge with one of these guys. However, assuming this hypothetical situation, the answer is obviously Sony. There's just a lot more compatibility between those 2 companies - both Japanese of course, but both very serious about gaming, where in my opinion Microsoft seems to be all smoke and mirrors.

It would be hard to imagine Nintendo exiting the hardware side any time in the next ten years. As successful as the Sony Playstation 4 has been, they are perhaps the closest to such a scenario. I wonder if they would merge with Microsoft or Nintendo...

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Of this scenario, I'd obviously choose Nintendo to side with Sony.

Around the Network

I think it makes too much sense for nintendo to merge with microsoft. they both have what the other doesn't. Nintendo has a handheld, the japanese market, the best first party nd exclusive line-up, the young gaming market. Microsoft has the hardcore market, third party support, The best online infrastructure, and a better hold on america. Each has what the other needs.

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

Kjartan said:
A console made by Sony and Nintendo = Biggest selling system of all time.

The ps1 was outsold by the ps2 tho!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Nintendo would benefit more from going with Microsoft. And MS would definitely benefit more from it, too.

Of course, it's not happening. Nintendo doesn't put all their eggs in the same proverbial basket, so they could massively screw up NX, and still be OK.

CaptainExplosion said:

So, let's just say, no I'm not saying this will happen, that the NX suffers the fate of the Wii U, and Nintendo's forced to merge with one of it's two main competitors; Sony Computer Entertainment and Microsoft Studios.

I am currently undecided, because I may not know the full advantages and disadvantages of either scenario.

If Nintendo goes with Sony, they will have a chance to patch things up after the whole PlayStation fiasco (Easier than going back in time to stop Nintendo from partnering with Phillips). However, Sony may push certain Nintendo games into very UN-Nintendo directions (A grittier Mario, a boringly realistic F-Zero, etc.).

If Nintendo goes with Microsoft, then Nintendo would be able to work with Rare again (Even though most of the original Rare developers have since quit). However, Microsoft is an American company, which may not mesh well with Nintendo's more Japanese approach to the gaming industry.

Well, those are my thoughts, I apologize if this thread seems stupid, but let's hear each other's thoughts on such scenarios.

What is the bolded based on? Wipeout isn't realsitic, Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank isn't gritty....

Just because a lot of Sony's in-house IPs are "gritty" and have reailstic graphics doesn't mean they are complete idiots when it comes to managing an IP. I suspect if Nintendo for some reason were to merge with Sony, their software developers would be left largely alone, because Nintendo has a hugely succesful software development team, and Sony knows this. Sony would let them play to their own strengths, not try to force them into a direction which would obviously only hurt sales.

Sony would be the best decision!
You see what happened with Rare and Microsoft...