By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Nintendo had to, which one?

If Nintendo was forced to merge with Sony or Microsoft, which one would it be?

Sony 281 80.98%

Microsoft 66 19.02%

Total:347

why would Nintendo ever merge with another big video game company? they would have to have a lot of failures to even be in trouble based on their cash and asset reserves (which is larger than Sony's at this point when considering Sony's debt). but even if somehow a decade from now it came to that why would they merge rather than just become an independent software developer when leaving console developing?

bear in mind Japan makes it fairly complicated for companies to but other other ones. it's easier if you're a Japanese company attempting to take over another Japanese company, but still not that simple of a thing. with that said obviously if they essentially picked Microsoft or Sony (with the assumption that both are big in video games in the future) then they'd obviously pick Sony. both are Japanese. bear in mind, again, that the Japanese government basically blocks foreign companies from taking very large parts of their nations businesses. always has been that way

at any rate, like I mentioned before, Nintendo could probably fail with their primary for console for like 5 more generations and still not destroy their cash reserves. granted they are a business and do have investors so I doubt they'd last that long in failure, but they are currently quite far from a situation in which any acquisition or merger would be considered 

Around the Network

I'd go with neither since Nintendo would rather go 3rd party or fold completely. I'd rather they go 3rd party than be absorbed by one of the other two, last thing we need is the industry becoming very lop sided. Don't care for "good for the industry" responses, that's what you think, doesn't mean it's best for us all let alone the industry itself.

(Don't bother telling me that it will be better because that's entirely subjective and not objective).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

CaptainExplosion said:
midrange said:
Nintendo would just go third party like sega. Being a third party dev/publisher means they can still have freedom in making what they want in whatever form they so choose

Uh, yeah. Remember how Sega being third-party worked out? 8bce00e2853c6e2114fa905d9e8feaba2ba1bc0753ab4c60a0ff55c99fb337a5.jpg

There's a little thing called history repeated itself.

the difference is Sega never had very strong IP / characters to begin with. that was one of their largest issues. besides Sonic who are their iconic characters in the Saturn/Dreamcast eras? they have some better IP in the earlier days (Alex Kidd, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, etc.) but they all but abandoned their own series which damaged the properties

Nintendo has some of the most iconic brand names in entertainment. a Mario Galaxy would sell a kajillion copies on any system, just like a Zelda or Pokemon. granted I think Nintendo works best as both a hardware + sofware developer, they can't be too restrained

I wouldn't suggest Nintendo get out of making consoles for quite a while, too much potential. Nintendo simply needs to make a more streamlined game system without gimmicks and keep on focusing on what they always have, making good games

FromDK said:
If Nintendo ever do anything like that.. it would offcourse be with sony.. (japanese)

Actully I had think about the possibility, that they could do a phone/handheld together.. Think about it.. After japanese dominans in the handheld space for decades.. Apple.. google.. MS.. samsung and few others.. are about to controll it all.. An insane important marked.. where Nintendo and sony IP's mayby could do the trick.

Also when it comes to homeconsoles..

Together Sony/Nintendo would stand lot better against.. not just MS.. but also valve.. google.. ea.. apple.. samsung.. some chineese companys.. Who in theese years totally destroy the japanese export..

Sony/Nintendo could happen within 5 years..

Nintendo has more assets/cash reserves than Sony by a big margin when considering Sony's debt. Sony is doing well with the PS4 but they are not in a position to be the ones considered to acquire or merge with Nintendo. bear in mind that Sony has an extremely spotty history with their video game division, almost every generation they actually LOST money from that division. even in the giant PS2/PSP era Sony LOST money from their video game division

Nintendo is OCD about profit and keeping to their core values. I just do not find the companies similar at all. if it's a question of Microsoft or Sony then, yes, sure, obviously Sony would be the more likely candidate down the line. but even there the two companies are so fundamentally different that I doubt it would be a great idea

A console made by Sony and Nintendo = Biggest selling system of all time.

NNID/PSN: Kung_Kjartan

Around the Network

Probably Sony, but then it would be almost monopoly/overkill. .-.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

CaptainExplosion said:
midrange said:

If they don't find success in the console business, the last thing they are going to do is look to be acquired. Being third party at least gives them the freedom to operate as they so choose.

Which is why Sega fell so hard in recent years.

One instance does not define the rule. There are a variety of differences between what sega was then, and what Nintendo is now. Literally over a decade has passed.

If sega is the perfect precedent for what Nintendo is, then Nintendo will go third party soon and seeing as how the wii u is closest in quality and sales to the dreamcast

mountaindewslave said:
FromDK said:
If Nintendo ever do anything like that.. it would offcourse be with sony.. (japanese)

Actully I had think about the possibility, that they could do a phone/handheld together.. Think about it.. After japanese dominans in the handheld space for decades.. Apple.. google.. MS.. samsung and few others.. are about to controll it all.. An insane important marked.. where Nintendo and sony IP's mayby could do the trick.

Also when it comes to homeconsoles..

Together Sony/Nintendo would stand lot better against.. not just MS.. but also valve.. google.. ea.. apple.. samsung.. some chineese companys.. Who in theese years totally destroy the japanese export..

Sony/Nintendo could happen within 5 years..

Nintendo has more assets/cash reserves than Sony by a big margin when considering Sony's debt. Sony is doing well with the PS4 but they are not in a position to be the ones considered to acquire or merge with Nintendo. bear in mind that Sony has an extremely spotty history with their video game division, almost every generation they actually LOST money from that division. even in the giant PS2/PSP era Sony LOST money from their video game division

Nintendo is OCD about profit and keeping to their core values. I just do not find the companies similar at all. if it's a question of Microsoft or Sony then, yes, sure, obviously Sony would be the more likely candidate down the line. but even there the two companies are so fundamentally different that I doubt it would be a great idea

Yes I know..

But can you see Nintendo do a dedicated handheld again..(they may do.. but it will not sell half of 3ds and they know it)

Then Nintendo could do the handheld/phone themself.. but again.. cant see it do that well (And I'm the biggest Nintendo fan)

But if you combine Sony phone.. sony ip.. nintendo IP.. and add a litle Nintendo magic.. then you may have a "ipnone killer"

if i had to (as the thread states) i'd easily pick sony. A. microsoft destroyed rare with merciless sadistic glee. B. Microsoft will destroy any kind of value nintendos business practices currently offer. C. I'd make the presumption that 2 japanese titans like sony and nintendo would simply work better together. Lastly, the unending irony that the product nintendo inadvertantly created, was the one to take them in.

Microsoft. They are going PC, which means they are the future when it comes to legacy library.