By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Twilight Princess HD Screenshots (High quality)

Alkibiádēs said:
spemanig said:
Alkibiádēs said:

WW has the most empty overworld of any 3D Zelda game. It's also the most rushed 3D Zelda game and it's very noticable in the second half of the game. In fact, every 3D Zelda games had an empty overworld with the exception of Majora's Mask (although that's mostly confined to Clocktown as well).

WW's overworld consists of 90% water that all looks the same. There's nothing worth doing in the ocean.

No, it doesn't. It has the second most filled, behind only Skyward Sword's ground sections, and that's only if we ignore the flying sections, which I generously am. None of the other overworlds come close exept for MM. That's not even opinion - what you're saying is factually incorrect. Pretending that the non-major islands in WW aren't part of the overworld is just that - pretending. It has more to do in its overworld as a rushed, half finished game than TP, OoT, SSs real overworld in the sky, and MM. There's quantifiably more of substance to do in the over world of WW than in any other 3D Zelda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivl1QfzTatw&feature=youtu.be&t=989

You're in some serious denial if you believe WW is the second most filled (and lol at SS, that game makes you repeat every area like 3 times, it's that barren). Watch the whole review to see how rushed WW really was. It only has 5 dungeons and no interesting side quests to make up for it.

Skyward Sword is easily the most dense 3D Zelda game (ignoring the sky).  The ground areas are packed with enemies and things to find.  You would have to look to a 2D Zelda for a more dense, compact overworld.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Alkibiádēs said:
spemanig said:
Alkibiádēs said:

WW has the most empty overworld of any 3D Zelda game. It's also the most rushed 3D Zelda game and it's very noticable in the second half of the game. In fact, every 3D Zelda games had an empty overworld with the exception of Majora's Mask (although that's mostly confined to Clocktown as well).

WW's overworld consists of 90% water that all looks the same. There's nothing worth doing in the ocean.

No, it doesn't. It has the second most filled, behind only Skyward Sword's ground sections, and that's only if we ignore the flying sections, which I generously am. None of the other overworlds come close exept for MM. That's not even opinion - what you're saying is factually incorrect. Pretending that the non-major islands in WW aren't part of the overworld is just that - pretending. It has more to do in its overworld as a rushed, half finished game than TP, OoT, SSs real overworld in the sky, and MM. There's quantifiably more of substance to do in the over world of WW than in any other 3D Zelda.

You're in some serious denial if you believe WW is the second most filled (and lol at SS, that game makes you repeat every area like 3 times, it's that barren). Watch the whole review to see how rushed WW really was. It only has 5 dungeons and no interesting side quests to make up for it.

Skyward Sword is easily the most dense 3D Zelda game (ignoring the sky).  The ground areas are packed with enemies and things to find.  You would have to look to a 2D Zelda for a more dense, compact overworld.

Skyward Sword doesn't even have an overworld. They might as well have removed the sky part and opted for a level select screen. There are no villages, cities or even other races present in this world at all. Nothing in this game makes you feel like you're in a living breathing world. It's all a very linear and formulaic affair.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

theRepublic said:
Nogamez said:

Yeah but in fairness TP looked rubbish the day it came out. And theRE may be thousands of fans like me who haven't really played it before much simply cos the graphics are too muddy and blurry so yeah for me its great news

For a Wii launch title, I thought it looked great.  I did play it as it was meant to be played though.  On a CRT TV.

Well, this is for big fans (it is the best selling Zelda of all time) who want to be able to play the game again just more polished and cleaned up.  It's also for both fans who weren't over fond of all the waggle and people like me who were turned off by the waggle but want to give it another go.  I think the traditional controls with the un-mirrored world will be attractive to many.  No, it likely won't sell multiple millions.  But it will have it's fans and supporters.  I'm buying it.  Never did much with the Wii game and am interested in getting to play a cleaned up version with traditional controls and the gamepad's convenience features.

captain carot said:
AgentZorn said:
They should have invested a bit into a new lighting engine that would have made the game look better. Also I don't think making comparisons to TP Dolphin is fair. Tantalus also had to port the game.

So what? With Wii U still based on the same CPU architecture that port shouldn't have been that difficult. Should've been possible to add a new dynamic lighting system, change some of the really outdated effects for better ones.

Compairing to Dolphin is fair because HD texture packsare basically what we see here together with higher res.

And yes, it is unfair. For the modders. They're hobbyists and texture packs often are done by one person.

You're correct in that the Wii U's architecture should make the porting process quite straightforward.

However, I suspect the PC running some of these mods has a lot more available memory and fillrate than Wii U.

Mind you, I'm not saying that TPHD couldn't look better than it does on Wii U. It definitely could.

Alkibiádēs said:
theRepublic said:
Alkibiádēs said:
spemanig said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Skyward Sword doesn't even have an overworld. They might as well have removed the sky part and opted for a level select screen. There are no villages, cities or even other races present in this world at all. Nothing in this game makes you feel like you're in a living breathing world. It's all a very linear and formulaic affair.

The overworld is everything not inside a dungeon.

All of civilization is in the sky in this game.  That was clearly a conscious decision.  Only the primitave Kikwis, Mogmas, and Parellas are on the ground.  Plus there is the ruins of the Sealed Grounds and the ancient civiliztion that was once in Lanayru.

The three main areas, Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru had more going on than any 3D overworld before them.  They are filled with enemies, puzzles, and collectables.  They felt much closer to the 2D overworlds that were so packed with content.   Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are all great games, but their overworlds are empty compared to Skyword Sword.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

Around the Network
theRepublic said:

All of civilization is in the sky in this game.  That was clearly a conscious decision.  Only the primitave Kikwis, Mogmas, and Parellas are on the ground.  Plus there is the ruins of the Sealed Grounds and the ancient civiliztion that was once in Lanayru.

The three main areas, Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru had more going on than any 3D overworld before them.  They are filled with enemies, puzzles, and collectables.  They felt much closer to the 2D overworlds that were so packed with content.   Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are all great games, but their overworlds are empty compared to Skyword Sword.

^ What he said.

One of Skyward Sword's best moves was to fill the areas land areas surrounding dungeons with puzzles, traps, etc, so that they serve as almost a blend of overworld and dungeon.

And there was plenty to make its world seem alive; there were four distinct non-human races, scattered collectables, birds and insects to catch...

curl-6 said:

^ What he said.

One of Skyward Sword's best moves was to fill the areas land areas surrounding dungeons with puzzles, traps, etc, so that they serve as almost a blend of overworld and dungeon.

And there was plenty to make its world seem alive; there were four distinct non-human races, scattered collectables, birds and insects to catch...

Exactly. I have a hundred criticisms of SS, but that overworld, the ground specifically, is not one of them outside of the painful linearity. 

mZuzek said:
spemanig said:

Exactly. I have a hundred criticisms of SS, but that overworld, the ground specifically, is not one of them outside of the painful linearity. 

It's nice to read this kind of thing every once in a while. I hate it when people bash Skyward Sword for its overworld without realizing the surface is part of the overworld too.

Yeah, I've been playing SS for the first time and I don't really have any problems with the overworld.  The ground is detailed and full of stuff.  And while the Sky isn't as detailed as the ground, I still get a kick out of the epicness of it.  I personally find it very cool.  It really just needed one or two big islands floating about with stuff to see or do and it would be almost perfect, IMO.  

On a side note, Skyward Sword holds up dang well.  

Nuvendil said:

On a side note, Skyward Sword holds up dang well.  

It's funny, when I first played Skyward Sword in 2011 I loved the game, but found its graphics ugly. I guess it was cos all through the Wii's life, "Zelda Wii" was talked about as the game that would truly push the system's limits graphically.

However, when I replayed it earlier this year, I actually appreciated its graphics more than I did 4 years ago, despite the passage of time and moving on to the Wii U in the interim.

curl-6 said:
theRepublic said:

^ What he said.

I almost said that exact thing in my post, but deleted the line.

Now Playing