By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Twilight Princess HD Screenshots (High quality)

I wonder if they will make the entire overworld seamless -- no loading between areas I mean. Go from Castle Town to Hyrule Field to Kakariko without stopping. While I'm on the subject, it would be okay if they redesigned Hyrule Field a little bit... those narrow paths connecting its sections that were obviously masking the next section being loaded should be unnecessary now.

Also --

Goodnightmoon said:

New UI gets two thumbs up.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

I wonder if they will make the entire overworld seamless -- no loading between areas I mean. Go from Castle Town to Hyrule Field to Kakariko without stopping. While I'm on the subject, it would be okay if they redesigned Hyrule Field a little bit... those narrow paths connecting its sections that were obviously masking the next section being loaded should be unnecessary now.

New UI gets two thumbs up.

That is good point. They can improve TP in so many ways expect graphical that doesn't require big effort or drastically changes: New UI, no loading between areas, Hero Mode from start, great gamepad integration like in WW HD, maybe they can change a little Hyrule Field and add more vegetation, trees and enemies...

I am not expecting any big changes outside of resolution and textures personally; this does not seem like a project with a high level of investment.

We'll get stuff like a Gamepad menu, off-screen play, perhaps even gyro aiming, but I'm fairly sure there will not be drastic modifications to the core game, like opening up Hyrule field. (In fact, footage/screens so far already show it remains segmented by rock walls)

curl-6 said:
captain carot said:

So what? With Wii U still based on the same CPU architecture that port shouldn't have been that difficult. Should've been possible to add a new dynamic lighting system, change some of the really outdated effects for better ones.

Compairing to Dolphin is fair because HD texture packsare basically what we see here together with higher res.

And yes, it is unfair. For the modders. They're hobbyists and texture packs often are done by one person.

You're correct in that the Wii U's architecture should make the porting process quite straightforward.

However, I suspect the PC running some of these mods has a lot more available memory and fillrate than Wii U.

Mind you, I'm not saying that TPHD couldn't look better than it does on Wii U. It definitely could.

Thing is emulation itself eats up power. Yet my notebook manages to play GC games in HD usually quite well. Some games really have issues though.

The GC/Wii GPU isn't that easy to handle.

So a system that handles games like Oblivion Crysis without issues might have trouble to handle an emulated Twilight Princess.

So yes, PC's to play GC/Wii games with mods usually are way faster than Wii U. But that's more because emulation itself is so demanding.

Now, Twilight Princess HD is a port. And a port that probably shouldn't have been that difficult. So even if replacing all the graphics might be to expensive, adding modern lighting, redo the really outdated effects and ad some grass here and there shouldn't be that difficult for a professional developer.

curl-6 said:

I am not expecting any big changes outside of resolution and textures personally; this does not seem like a project with a high level of investment.

We'll get stuff like a Gamepad menu, off-screen play, perhaps even gyro aiming, but I'm fairly sure there will not be drastic modifications to the core game, like opening up Hyrule field. (In fact, footage/screens so far already show it remains segmented by rock walls)

Actually we saw only small fragment of gameplay in from Hyrule castle.

New UI, no loading between areas, Hero Mode from start, great gamepad integration like in WW HD are very likly...question is what more improvements can we expect beside that.

Around the Network

Guys let's not forget they still have 4 months to polish this game and show us new features. Hopefully that intro tutorial has been trimmed. Similar gamepad features as Windwaker HD should be implemented also.

captain carot said:
curl-6 said:

You're correct in that the Wii U's architecture should make the porting process quite straightforward.

However, I suspect the PC running some of these mods has a lot more available memory and fillrate than Wii U.

Mind you, I'm not saying that TPHD couldn't look better than it does on Wii U. It definitely could.

Thing is emulation itself eats up power. Yet my notebook manages to play GC games in HD usually quite well. Some games really have issues though.

The GC/Wii GPU isn't that easy to handle.

So a system that handles games like Oblivion Crysis without issues might have trouble to handle an emulated Twilight Princess.

So yes, PC's to play GC/Wii games with mods usually are way faster than Wii U. But that's more because emulation itself is so demanding.

Now, Twilight Princess HD is a port. And a port that probably shouldn't have been that difficult. So even if replacing all the graphics might be to expensive, adding modern lighting, redo the really outdated effects and ad some grass here and there shouldn't be that difficult for a professional developer.

Even with emulation overhead, a high end PC is going to be able to produce better textures than Wii U is capable of.

Again, I agree they could've done more, but this strikes me as a rather low budget "remaster" without the necessary resources and/or artistic license to heavily rebuild the game.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

New UI, no loading between areas, Hero Mode from start, great gamepad integration like in WW HD are very likly...question is what more improvements can we expect beside that.

If you're holding out hope for drastic changes like redesigning Hyrule Field, you're likely going to be disappointed. This is a remaster, not a remake.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

If you're holding out hope for drastic changes like redesigning Hyrule Field, you're likely going to be disappointed. This is a remaster, not a remake.

I didn't mention any drastic changes, just little more vegetation, trees and enemies in Hyrule Field are not drastic changes. I think that would be nice, but I dont have high hopes.

You can already see in the minimap on the screenshot the_dengle posted that Hyrule Field will be exactly the same, those narrow paths remain.

Also, I wouldn't count on a seemless transition between areas either, there will still be a black screen for a second going from Castle Town to the Field, because who says the geometry perfectly fits? These areas were made independantly from each other. To put it simple, in the model for Kakariko Village, the in-game distance and relative height between the two exits could be different from the distance between the same exits in Hyrule Field. That would require the developers to rework those exits for them to match up correctly.