By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Tomb Raider been wasted?

ArchangelMadzz said:
Dravenet7 said:

I thought it comes out tommorow

Time zones my friend

As I came back on my computer I thought of that.

Around the Network
DakonBlackblade said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Yep, Tomb Raider is screwed because Xbox is too fucking awesome this year.

Well ye, but that shows how terribly misguided Squenix and Chrystal Dynamics were when they got into this ill fated exclusivity deal, the game would sell well if it were on PS4 as well, the majority of Tomb Raiders fanbase are PS4 players, not to mention PS4s install base is larger to begin with. The way I think itll go Tomb Raider wont sell too well as an XOne exclusive on this very crowded release slot it decided to release on and them when it comes out on PS4 and PC itll have lost a lot of steam and sell way less than it couldve sold on those plataforms.

I also think XOne stacking two big exclusives so close to each other on the hollidays was a very bad move, maybe MS didnt have a say on Tomb Raiders release date but they sure as hell had one on Halo 4, they couldve delayed Halo 4 some 3-4 weaks and relied on Tomb Raider for early November (or do it the other way around if they did have a say on tomb raiders release date). Sonys delay on Uncharted 4 left a gap on theyre end of year exclusive slot, but they paced the rest of theyre exclusives much better along the year. I dont think MSs strategy to heavilly stack a bunch of games on the end of the year was too good of an idea for the games themselves, it might prove ot be a good strategy to sell consoles tough.

The last sentence basically says what's most important.

If Tomb Raider sells poorly and bombs on PS4 down the road, well that's Square Enix's problem. However, I doubt that will happen because its a unique game and great games can succeed even if late to a platform. Numerous games have been exclusive 360 for a period and still succeeded on PS3. Why? Great games are always worth checking out. Just ask the millions of people that bought Diablo III on consoles.

You're worried about how the games will sell. But I think average consumer is just seeing a lot of reasons to get a X1 this holiday.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

DakonBlackblade said:
Mr Puggsly said:
DakonBlackblade said:

I think the exclusivity deal will affect the games sales very badly, specialy because ppl know its comming out to PC and PS4 in a year and theres even a pre-order for it so no one is in a hurry to buy it. Not to mention Fallout 4 launching alongside the game and Halo 4 having launched last weak wich cant be good for sales.

Yep, Tomb Raider is screwed because Xbox is too fucking awesome this year.

Well ye, but that shows how terribly misguided Squenix and Chrystal Dynamics were when they got into this ill fated exclusivity deal, the game would sell well if it were on PS4 as well, the majority of Tomb Raiders fanbase are PS4 players, not to mention PS4s install base is larger to begin with. The way I think itll go Tomb Raider wont sell too well as an XOne exclusive on this very crowded release slot it decided to release on and them when it comes out on PS4 and PC itll have lost a lot of steam and sell way less than it couldve sold on those plataforms.

I also think XOne stacking two big exclusives so close to each other on the hollidays was a very bad move, maybe MS didnt have a say on Tomb Raiders release date but they sure as hell had one on Halo 4, they couldve delayed Halo 4 some 3-4 weaks and relied on Tomb Raider for early November (or do it the other way around if they did have a say on tomb raiders release date). Sonys delay on Uncharted 4 left a gap on theyre end of year exclusive slot, but they paced the rest of theyre exclusives much better along the year. I dont think MSs strategy to heavilly stack a bunch of games on the end of the year was too good of an idea for the games themselves, it might prove ot be a good strategy to sell consoles tough.

This is what I have been saying in the ROTR review thread,but some people did not understand this basic fact.Neither company will benefit from this deal and the deal is bad.

Chris Hu said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
I remember when Tomb Raider was about figuring out how the hell to move forward by discovering where to jump, climb, find levers, etc. Good times.

The first Tomb Raider (1996) was good but all the other games that follwed where sub par until Tomb Raider (2013) showed up with Rise of the Tomb Raider its the first time the franchise actually has a good sequel.

It also worth noting according to VGChartz the series saw a decline after Tomb Raider 2.

Tomb Raider 2013 didn't just revitalize the series, it was the best selling game in the series ever. According to VGChartz and Square Enix.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

AbbathTheGrim said:
I remember when Tomb Raider was about figuring out how the hell to move forward by discovering where to jump, climb, find levers, etc. Good times.

There's a good article on EG about old TRs - and very warm feeling in my heart at how much people in comment section prefer old TRs to this new...thing.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
DeusXmachina said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
Maybe we should have a female version for every game, to make gaming more agreeable to feminists, like having Master Cheifa, Kratoline, and female Samus.

A female Zelda would be nice too.

Woah, slow down dude, some things are off-limits.

Plus Zelda is already female xD .

Samus too

Bryank75 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

That was back when games were unique, we are going into the homogenised times where everything becomes bland and featureless. Each just a shadow of another. 

i share this same view

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

zero129 said:
Chris Hu said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

The first Tomb Raider (1996) was good but all the other games that follwed where sub par until Tomb Raider (2013) showed up with Rise of the Tomb Raider its the first time the franchise actually has a good sequel.

Plus, what people fail to realize is that the Original TR and another new TR game in the same style (Both very good games imo) was also made and didnt succeed. So Clearly most of the fans dont seem to want a TR in its original style of exploring. And the only thing thats really changed in the reboot and its sequal is the fact that now the game has took some mechinics from Uncharted such as the climping and cinematic action style gameplay but imo this is always something TR needed to evolve into and was going to in the first place.

No one takes into account the things uncharted took from TR..

What do you mean by 'it didn't succeed'? Underworld, which was last proper TR, sold 3.5 million copies - sure, those are not numbers that publishers want to see these days (since anything less than 5 millions is failure, right?), but not so bad at all.

As for what changed in Reboot - well, sorry, but you're wrong there - everything changed. TR used to be a game about exploring beautifully designed levels filled with clever puzzles and spectacular platforming and acrobatics, and as Ellie said in that EG article, Lara was fierce, clever, enigmatic, and acrobatic.

Not one thing out of all those remained in Reboot - instead we got 3rd person cover shooter with whiny, psychotic impostor who 'hates tombs'....which is all fine if the game and main character were called something else and left legacy of TR and Lara alone, but instead CD and SE decided to (ab)use the popular and loved IP.

Deal would have worked wonders earlier this year when there was a drought. Now there's Battlefront, BO3, Fallout 4, JC3 in the span of a month.

Bad deal for MS.

If the game was on PS4 right now, I would have already bought it. So they lost at least one sale, I can tell you that for sure. :P

Anything else is basically speculation. Oh, and I also like the old style much much more! I even loved Tomb Raider Underworld despite the low scores and all the hate from gamers. It was a pretty damn fun game! I didn't like the 2013 game too much. I mean, sure, it was fun and all, but it didn't stick to my mind like the other ones. I used to play Tomb Raider games over and over again because I enjoyed them so much. The last one? Played that one time, never touched it again.

I will still buy the new game, because I'm a die hard Tomb Raider fan since day one. But I'm not too excited about it. In the end, it's just another 3rd person shooter. I'm also not too excited about Uncharted 4, before somebody asks. I'm not even sure if I will get Uncharted 4. The third one was already pretty boring.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.