By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Tomb Raider been wasted?

Goodnightmoon said:

Oh please, Tomb Raider 1 is unplayable today, the controls were absolutely horrible and feel outdated just a year after the game was released, I already though the game was clunky as hell in 1997. All the other Tomb raiders until Legends and anniversary were shit, and even those 2 were not mindblowing. TR was the reboot the franchise needed and a great game. And now this looks even better.

The nostalgia goggles make us say pretty dumb things from time to time.

And people that says TB is a shadow of Uncharted makes me laugh, where do people thinks games like Uncharted come from?

I played Tomb Raider just last week on my PSP and I absolutely enjoyed it! It's just a shame that I only get the english voices even though I bought it from the german store. I like Laras german voice...

But overall I think Tomb Raider aged quite well.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

I had no idea this was releasing so soon. Where is thr hype? I think fallout 4 has taken everyones attention.

John2290 said:

Props to Sony if that was strategic, it really did fuck MS''s plan. I can see why they dropped the money, expecting a massive campaign like kill zone vs halo. Lara croft vs Nathan drake. Vaginas vs cock. Tomb raider vs uncharted. Ps4 vs xbox1. Media outlets screaming about the battle of the two platformers.

Poor MS gaming decision, feel bad for them sometimes.

It's hard to know if it was strategic or not.... I mean we all heard about the troubles and the people who left UC4. At the same time I think it was probably a mix of both and square / crystal probably agreed that they wanted to hit both holidays 2015 on X1 and 2016 on ps4 to maximise sales. That left them with nowhere to go, PlayStation seem to have a lot of flexibility with their studios and when they deliver.... Whereas Xbox has been like clockwork on release dates. 

OdinHades said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Oh please, Tomb Raider 1 is unplayable today, the controls were absolutely horrible and feel outdated just a year after the game was released, I already though the game was clunky as hell in 1997. All the other Tomb raiders until Legends and anniversary were shit, and even those 2 were not mindblowing. TR was the reboot the franchise needed and a great game. And now this looks even better.

The nostalgia goggles make us say pretty dumb things from time to time.

And people that says TB is a shadow of Uncharted makes me laugh, where do people thinks games like Uncharted come from?

I played Tomb Raider just last week on my PSP and I absolutely enjoyed it! It's just a shame that I only get the english voices even though I bought it from the german store. I like Laras german voice...

But overall I think Tomb Raider aged quite well.

I played Tomb Raider again on my psp last week too!!! What is this crazyness?? XD But I found it completely terrible to control, you spend hours to make things that you can do instantly in the remake. Because the controls and the camera were horrible. The combat is pretty bad too. It has charm, I give you that.

d21lewis said:
[...]

Nostalgia goggles. Before Tomb Raider Legend, magazines were giving Tomb Raider mediocre reviews and saying that the series needed to die.  I personally jumped for joy when Crystal Dynamics took the reigns and rebooted the series (the first time).  I bought every TR on PS1 and it was going downhill due to its inability to evolve. TR Angel of Darkness almost killed me!

The series indeed went downhill after part 4. Part 5 is one of the worst entries and Angel of Darkness was a bloody mess with strange gameplay mechanics ("I need to get stronger!") and bugs all over the place. I still enjoyed the atmosphere though. However, I'm not quite sold on the fact that it needed to become yet another shooter. There are countless other ways to bring new life into the old Tomb Raider formula and that's why I'm not too excited about the new games. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
[...]

I played TR again on my psp last week too!!! What is this crazyness?? XD But I found it completely terrible to control, you spend hours to make things that you can do instantly in the remake. Because the controls and the camera were horrible. The combat is pretty bad too.

Yeah, to be quite honest, I am possibly not the best one to judge the controls since I am just used to them. I replay the old games regurlarly so I never really forget about the controls. The same is true for some other old games I play every now and then. :)

edit: whoops, sorry for double posting. :/

think-man said:
I had no idea this was releasing so soon. Where is thr hype? I think fallout 4 has taken everyones attention.

Some games just seemed "way off in the distance". Suddenly, you realize they're here! I actually preordered Tomb Raider and I went to Gamestop to pay the last $10 on Friday. I had to run for my life! Didn't even realize that BO3 released that day. I thought new games came out on Tuesday. It's the season but it still feels like there is still plenty of 2015 left!

The answer is yes

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Bryank75 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
I remember when Tomb Raider was about figuring out how the hell to move forward by discovering where to jump, climb, find levers, etc. Good times.

That was back when games were unique, we are going into the homogenised times where everything becomes bland and featureless. Each just a shadow of another. 

people say this a lot. while it holds water I don't think its entirely the case. Simply put, I think 3D game mechanics have just been iterated on and perfected over the past 20yrs. Things can only get so good. So now we have a gaming landscape where a lot of games feel the same.

Don't believe me? try playing the original tomb raider again with its at the time revolutionary tank 3d controls.

zero129 said:
Chris Hu said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
I remember when Tomb Raider was about figuring out how the hell to move forward by discovering where to jump, climb, find levers, etc. Good times.

The first Tomb Raider (1996) was good but all the other games that follwed where sub par until Tomb Raider (2013) showed up with Rise of the Tomb Raider its the first time the franchise actually has a good sequel.

Plus, what people fail to realize is that the Original TR and another new TR game in the same style (Both very good games imo) was also made and didnt succeed. So Clearly most of the fans dont seem to want a TR in its original style of exploring. And the only thing thats really changed in the reboot and its sequal is the fact that now the game has took some mechinics from Uncharted such as the climping and cinematic action style gameplay but imo this is always something TR needed to evolve into and was going to in the first place.

No one takes into account the things uncharted took from TR..

I'm of the camp that says TR Legend had the climbing and cinematic feel. TR 2013 had that "Uncharted feel" when it comes to set pieces and platforming (looking good but really no danger of failing " and cover mechanics but that is about it. When it comes to puzzles, evolving, weapons, etc it's its own beast.