By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Tomb Raider been wasted?

Azzanation said:
TR doesn't have to release with UC4, its another game the XB1 has in its library for a year. They could have delayed it if they wanted to but its not about Sony or PS or UC. If gamers keep looking at games and consoles as a competition then of course it will only leave people confused. Xbox wanted an UC like game this holiday and they got it. QB will be there UC4 rival in 2016.

2015 Holiday line up has a game for everyone, that's Xbox's strategy.

Interesting to get a different take on it. So, you beleiive that MS had the freedom to delay the game but opted not to. Choosing instead to let QB go up against Uncharted 4 as they launch within 2 - 3 weeks of each other. 

It makes some sense but also directly contradicts the quote I have at the start from P. Spencer about not having a game equivalent to UC. 

(ROTR has broken the top 20 on Amazon and is currently 17. Seems to be doing similar to Forza 6)

Around the Network
HoloDust said:

What do you mean by 'it didn't succeed'? Underworld, which was last proper TR, sold 3.5 million copies - sure, those are not numbers that publishers want to see these days (since anything less than 5 millions is failure, right?), but not so bad at all.

As for what changed in Reboot - well, sorry, but you're wrong there - everything changed. TR used to be a game about exploring beautifully designed levels filled with clever puzzles and spectacular platforming and acrobatics, and as Ellie said in that EG article, Lara was fierce, clever, enigmatic, and acrobatic.

Not one thing out of all those remained in Reboot - instead we got 3rd person cover shooter with whiny, psychotic impostor who 'hates tombs'....which is all fine if the game and main character were called something else and left legacy of TR and Lara alone, but instead CD and SE decided to (ab)use the popular and loved IP.

So true, it's more like Tomb hater. I liked anniversary a lot. It just needed to be like that with a bigger budget.
Killing 800 people quickly became boring in the reboot. It became a ridiculous cover shooter. I thought this sequel was supposed to bring tombs back but after reading the Eurogamer review it's not worth $60.

In nine optional Challenge Tombs and at a couple of junctures in the story, Lara finds herself gingerly exploring lonely ruins, gorgeous in their centuries-old decay. ... It's not the lip-service the 2013 game paid to the tomb-raiding concept, but it's still barely more than a sideline for nouveau Tomb Raider. Given the tombs' strong flavour and Crystal Dynamics' comfortable command of the form, why couldn't there have been more of them, with harder puzzles, and why couldn't they have occupied some of the space filled with empty battles and vacant scrambles in the storyline?

Either way, it's emblematic of a series that's suffering an identity crisis - trying too hard to be all things to all men, and not hard enough to be itself.

This made me lol
The game has a tendency to slip into the lifeless language of design documents: you get an achievement for collecting 'narrative assets'.

They still praise the tomb sections as the best part of the game, albeit a bit on the easy side. I've played them all, so I guess I'll get it second hand some time. Must still be better than angel of darkness at least, the one I did not complete.

The orignal and TR2 are still the best. Prince of persia sands of times took the torch from tomb raider but couldn't keep it either. It's a problem with most games nowadays, don't know what to make next, add more enemies! Forever increase the kill count. It's easy, no need to think.

AEGRO said:
John2290 said:

I recently went back to tomb raider 3 after finding a save on a memory stick from the 90s. I have no idea how I navigated the world back then and I didn't have the hand eye coordination I have today. I was 7 when I first played t2 and managed to finished it by the time I was 8. Strange days back then. Strange days.

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago when i played the OG Golden Eye on a friends N64. 

I honestly dont know how the fuck i played that game back then with that horrendous controller LOL

I couldnt control the character, the guy in the bathroom killed me like 3 times holy shit hahaha Back in the days i was a beast!!! 

Thank God for the almighty twin sticks.

You got used to the easier controllers we have now. You gotta put your mind set back to the N64. And forget how you play with two joysticks. I did that. And I can play those games fine. Tomb Raider 1 controls are broken. The game isn't really. If someone ported the games. And redid the controls. People could play the older games fine. And I mean real suuport for joysticks. Not mapped out dpad to joystick. Like RE1 Dual Shock edition sadly did. Same with NES games. You want to speed through them. But games have quirky ways of killing you. You can hit a enemy, in mid air, but you still get damaged and fall off. You gotta actually slow down more than you're use to. Compared to new games.

DeusXmachina said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
Maybe we should have a female version for every game, to make gaming more agreeable to feminists, like having Master Cheifa, Kratoline, and female Samus.

A female Zelda would be nice too.

Zelda is female.  I think you meant Link.

I think the delay of U3 stole its thunder. It got pitched against Fallout 4, wich isnt good for it.

Around the Network

Was this game originally a cross gen title?...I remember some talk about a 360 version...was it canned? (if there was such version to begin with, that is)

JGarret said:
Was this game originally a cross gen title?...I remember some talk about a 360 version...was it canned? (if there was such version to begin with, that is)

There is a 360 version. 

By the way, DF doesn't sound really enthusiastic about the One version (aliasing, input lag, screen tearing, image quality...). How bad is it really? (not talking about the already known beautiful areas here) 

I'll just go ahead and say it, FO4 would have stolen the thunder from both.

I really haven't heard much about this game and it's already out. This was such a wasted effort by MS and Square just buried any hype this game had by releasing it right now. Tomb Raider needs to be released when nothing else is around it's not a big enough franchise to be taking on COD, Star Wars, and Fallout. What a stupid stupid move by both companies.

Bryank75 said:
reggin_bolas said:
Fallout 4 right now over 100,000 viewers on twitch. Tomb Raider has 7,000. GG.

Ouch, destiny has more than that on a normal day.... 

That's not saying much .... Fallout 4 is available on PS4, Xbox One and PC vs Tomb Raider which is only available on Xbox One.

Beside Fallout is a much bigger franchise then Tomb Raider. Fallout 3 will easily out sell Tomb Raider on Xbox one.