By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Tomb Raider been wasted?

We all now know that Rise of the Tomb Raider is a critical success, it is objectively considered a good game. (Tastes aside)

My concern in this thread is whether ROTR will be a commercial and strategic success from the XBox divisions point of view.

In an interview with Phil Spencer, Eurogamer asked the following;

"In part is it about having an answer to Uncharted 4? The comparison between the last Tomb Raider and Uncharted has been made.

Phil Spencer: Totally. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk. We've started some, and we've looked at them. But we don't have one today of that quality. This is an opportunity."

It is clear that both titles were supposed to launch around the same time, causing a big head to head and a lot of publicity. However this was not to be as Sony / Naughty Dog delayed the game till Q1 2016. 

With all this in mind and remembering that although the game will have been launched for quite a while it will still be exclusive to X1 when UC4 launches. Will Rise of the Tomb Raider fulfil its role for MS Studios? and will it be a commercial success when all is accounted for?

(If you wish, you may also address the delay of UC4 and whether you believe it was a "real" delay or partly strategic.)

Around the Network

I remember when Tomb Raider was about figuring out how the hell to move forward by discovering where to jump, climb, find levers, etc. Good times.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:
I remember when Tomb Raider was about figuring out how the hell to move forward by discovering where to jump, climb, find levers, etc. Good times.

That was back when games were unique, we are going into the homogenised times where everything becomes bland and featureless. Each just a shadow of another. 

Yes, it's wasted. Tomb Raider will not fulfill MS' role. SE/CD got a one out, so they don't lose money, this time. But the game being locked out for a year, will not help MS. Why would it really? The game doesn't do amazingly well on just one system. The game is known to be only blocked for a year. So fans will wait. And or ignore it. Then the X1 is not #1. Now you will have fans second guess SE/CD when it comes Tomb Raider for now on.

Yeah I completely forgot that came out today..

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Yeah I completely forgot that came out today..

I thought it comes out tommorow

Not as far as I'm concerned, as I'm installing it now.
I don't see this thread shining any new insight on the situation that hasn't already been discussed to death. However the "failings" of it will be overblown due to obvious reasons.

Bryank75 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

That was back when games were unique, we are going into the homogenised times where everything becomes bland and featureless. Each just a shadow of another. 

Wow, so deep bruh.

Maybe we should have a female version for every game, to make gaming more agreeable to feminists, like having Master Cheifa, Kratoline, and female Samus.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:
Maybe we should have a female version for every game, to make gaming more agreeable to feminists, like having Master Cheifa, Kratoline, and female Samus.

A female Zelda would be nice too.