By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Tomb Raider been wasted?

d21lewis said:
HoloDust said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
I remember when Tomb Raider was about figuring out how the hell to move forward by discovering where to jump, climb, find levers, etc. Good times.

There's a good article on EG about old TRs - and very warm feeling in my heart at how much people in comment section prefer old TRs to this new...thing.

Nostalgia goggles. Before Tomb Raider Legend, magazines were giving Tomb Raider mediocre reviews and saying that the series needed to die.  I personally jumped for joy when Crystal Dynamics took the reigns and rebooted the series (the first time).  I bought every TR on PS1 and it was going downhill due to its inability to evolve. TR Angel of Darkness almost killed me!

I remember Angel of Darkness being hated alright but the first two games were great at the time and the formula they had could have been refined and improved. I find the new games over reliant on combat, something i find it particularly weak at and it has totally eroded the feeling of seclusion. Less focus on combat would be better IMO. The tombs were really lacking in the first game and it really focuses more on killing than anything else cause character development and story wasn't very good IMO. 

I hear that tombs are way better in this new one but hope they dial back combat encounters and increase platforming and puzzling. 

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Intrinsic said:

people say this a lot. while it holds water I don't think its entirely the case. Simply put, I think 3D game mechanics have just been iterated on and perfected over the past 20yrs. Things can only get so good. So now we have a gaming landscape where a lot of games feel the same.

Don't believe me? try playing the original tomb raider again with its at the time revolutionary tank 3d controls.

I recently went back to tomb raider 3 after finding a save on a memory stick from the 90s. I have no idea how I navigated the world back then and I didn't have the hand eye coordination I have today. I was 7 when I first played t2 and managed to finished it by the time I was 8. Strange days back then. Strange days.

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago when i played the OG Golden Eye on a friends N64. 

I honestly dont know how the fuck i played that game back then with that horrendous controller LOL

I couldnt control the character, the guy in the bathroom killed me like 3 times holy shit hahaha Back in the days i was a beast!!! 

Thank God for the almighty twin sticks.

It was a real delay. Tomb Raider has no chance against U4

Bryank75 said:
d21lewis said:
HoloDust said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
I remember when Tomb Raider was about figuring out how the hell to move forward by discovering where to jump, climb, find levers, etc. Good times.

There's a good article on EG about old TRs - and very warm feeling in my heart at how much people in comment section prefer old TRs to this new...thing.

Nostalgia goggles. Before Tomb Raider Legend, magazines were giving Tomb Raider mediocre reviews and saying that the series needed to die.  I personally jumped for joy when Crystal Dynamics took the reigns and rebooted the series (the first time).  I bought every TR on PS1 and it was going downhill due to its inability to evolve. TR Angel of Darkness almost killed me!

I remember Angel of Darkness being hated alright but the first two games were great at the time and the formula they had could have been refined and improved. I find the new games over reliant on combat, something i find it particularly weak at and it has totally eroded the feeling of seclusion. Less focus on combat would be better IMO. The tombs were really lacking in the first game and it really focuses more on killing than anything else cause character development and story wasn't very good IMO. 

I hear that tombs are way better in this new one but hope they dial back combat encounters and increase platforming and puzzling. 

I kinda resent all of the combat. I'm one of the few that liked when Lara avoided combat and Underworld had no bosses. Now she's lady Rambo. Combat is great but... I don't know. Out of place?

I feel that way about Uncharted too but that series has had it since the beginning.

Fallout 4 right now over 100,000 viewers on twitch. Tomb Raider has 7,000. GG.

Around the Network

I was going to happily wait for a year to play TR on my Ps4 but i wasnt expecting that HOT Xbox One deal on Amazon, i couldnt resist to buy the Gears bundle!

Now that im an Xbox owner too i said, what tha hell i will buy Tomb Raider...

John2290 said:
AEGRO said:

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago when i played the OG Golden Eye on a friends N64. 

I honestly dont know how the fuck i played that game back then with that horrendous controller LOL

I couldnt control the character, the guy in the bathroom killed me like 3 times holy shit hahaha Back in the days i was a beast!!! 

Thank God for the almighty twin sticks.

I know right, how could we forget that we had to stop to shoot in goldeneye.

or health pack management being a game of its own back then. Then you literally lived from save poi t to save point.

now? its bad enough that health regenerates on its own, now the game even saves itself for us. Then the further in a game you went, the more afraid of dying you were. cause that udusly meant starting all over again. Anyone that can remember shinobi give me an amen.

reggin_bolas said:
Fallout 4 right now over 100,000 viewers on twitch. Tomb Raider has 7,000. GG.

Ouch, destiny has more than that on a normal day.... 

TR doesn't have to release with UC4, its another game the XB1 has in its library for a year. They could have delayed it if they wanted to but its not about Sony or PS or UC. If gamers keep looking at games and consoles as a competition then of course it will only leave people confused. Xbox wanted an UC like game this holiday and they got it. QB will be there UC4 rival in 2016.

2015 Holiday line up has a game for everyone, that's Xbox's strategy.

Azzanation said:
TR doesn't have to release with UC4, its another game the XB1 has in its library for a year. They could have delayed it if they wanted to but its not about Sony or PS or UC. If gamers keep looking at games and consoles as a competition then of course it will only leave people confused. Xbox wanted an UC like game this holiday and they got it. QB will be there UC4 rival in 2016.

2015 Holiday line up has a game for everyone, that's Xbox's strategy.

Do you mean rivals like quality wise? Or sales wise?

Im sure that Quantum Break will be amazing, but it wont touch with a ten foot pole the sales of Uncharted 4.