By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear 4 vs Metal Gear 5 (NPD debut month figures)

Wright said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

As far as the console industry goes, MGS franchise was either totally exclusive or timed exclusive until Ground Zeros. 

As far as the console industry goes, timed exclusivity doesn't void the fact that the only PS3 exclusive game of the franchise is MGS4. There's also Portable Ops and Ac!d games being exclusive for PSP, but then we would also have to count Nintendo having an exclusive Metal Gear game on their platform, which also means the franchise isn't (and never was) totally exclusive.

The fact that Konami saw fit to repeatedly release Xbox and PC versions (Metal Gear Solid Integral, MGS2 Substance, the HD version, now GZ and TPP), and venture into Nintendo at times (Twin Snakes, MGS3 3D) means that they had a fanbase - no matter how small - in such places. It would have made zero sense making TPP PS4 exclusive, and Konami knows that. And we're still disregarding digital sales and the game's legs in the long run.

I'm an artist so, I don't think in sales. The best AAA games are usually timed or completely exclusive and there's a few, long winded reasons for this which I can't get into right now because I don't have the time. But yeah, if it's between a AAA franchise being whored out to every platform under the sun and being exclusive to one, I'd always choose one because it almost always makes for a better experience.

Around the Network

I was a huge mgs fan who did not purchase mgs5, why? Because they alienated I along with many other players with mgs PW being a prequel that u must play to understand the story..... I did not play that game so therefore could not play mgs5

mM
Pionner said:
How can you say it doesn't matter how small the fanbase is on other platforms? Of course it does. That's potentially wasted money doing ports that could of been used focused on making the version better on the one platform where most of the profits will come from. Konami releasing MGS games on Nintendo and MS consoles shows that they tried to grow the base, but obviously that didn't really work. Look at their earnings report. Their games are basically PS exclusive. Much less MGS.

The XB1 version managed below 200K in September. Even counting 10% digital sales that's not much. Same result overseas. Where is the fanbase on other platforms? There are none. It would of made PERFECT sense making it PS4 exclusive. That's your main base. Plus getting more attention trough marketing and bundles. The same can be said about FFXV and KH3. I can't wait to see the sales results of those.

You see it as potentially wasted money, Konami sees as an opportunity to make profit. Ultimately, it's Konami's decision, and looking at their earning reports, it have brough them income in such instances; so there's enough warrant to make such ports that could pontentially be wasted making the version better on the main platform.

The marketing was there. The bundles were there. Heck, the controversy was there. The Hayter thing. The Konami kicking Kojima thing. The stellar reviews. Plus, easy ports that gave them more money. The Phantom Pain sold what it sold and it's not because the game is also available on Steam. Or Xbox. It's as simple as that.

AlfredoTurkey said:

I'm an artist so, I don't think in sales. The best AAA games are usually timed or completely exclusive and there's a few, long winded reasons for this which I can't get into right now because I don't have the time. But yeah, if it's between a AAA franchise being whored out to every platform under the sun and being exclusive to one, I'd always choose one because it almost always makes for a better experience.

Being an artist, you actually should care (and think) in sales. I'm an artist too.

"The best AAA games" is such a subjective concept it's not worth getting into an argument for; I'll just say that I disagree, but I won't refute your points, as we both would be right (or wrong, depending on how you want to see it).

Wright said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Being an artist, you actually should care (and think) in sales. I'm an artist too.

As long as I can pay rent, utilities and eat, I'm good. If someone paid for those things, I wouldn't give a shit. I would rather make something I personally enjoy and give it away than make millions and have my work whored out like a 5th avenue hooker. The quality of my work matters more than the money it will make in return. Money doesn't matter... the work does. 

But that's just me.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

As long as I can pay rent, utilities and eat, I'm good.

That's the generalized problem of most artists. :/

Includes PC as a platform, yet excludes Steam sales.

Can you really do that?

jigokutamago said:
Includes PC as a platform, yet excludes Steam sales.

Can you really do that?

We don't have any Steam numbers for now.

ethomaz said:

Yeap... subjective but I believe it could be sold more being PS4 only.

Sometimes people believe things that aren't true.

Multiplat games have done very well on PS4. I'm not sure why you feel MGSV needed to be exclusive to do the same.

More importantly, its ahead of MGS4 and we don't know the digital numbers. That likely pushed it over a million.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

LurkerJ said:

MGS 4: Sons of liberty

Bro

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League