By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear 4 vs Metal Gear 5 (NPD debut month figures)

Keep in mind steam sales are at 750K. BUT, that's WW after over 6 weeks. U.S. alone is probably half that. I think the game would of benefited being exclusive. It would of got the same marketing and hype MGSV got. A completed game from Kojima would of have helped too.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Guitarguy said:

How on earth did MGS4 almost sell as much as MGSV considering 4 was only on one console and 4 had less time in June than MGSV had in September...Even not factoring in that MGSV is vastly superior...

Sometimes being exclusive is better for a franchise.

I am 100% sure if we include digital and PC sales MGS5 would easily outsell MGS4.

But keep on baiting each other if that's what you want.

Wright said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Thing is, the only exclusive game of this franchise is MGS4. Metal Gear started on a Microsoft system, followed by Sony consoles and then it also went to PC and Nintendo platforms.

That doesn't matter. The fanbase is on PS systems. The majority of sales are on PS. Those other MGS games came to other platforms too late to grow the fanbase on them.

Pionner said:

That doesn't matter. The fanbase is on PS systems. The majority of sales are on PS. Those other MGS games came to other platforms too late to grow the fanbase on them.

I agree it doesn't matter, just like the game being exclusive wouldn't have mattered.

Wright said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Thing is, the only exclusive game of this franchise is MGS4. Metal Gear started on a Microsoft system, followed by Sony consoles and then it also went to PC and Nintendo platforms.

As far as the console industry goes, MGS franchise was either totally exclusive or timed exclusive until Ground Zeros. 

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

As far as the console industry goes, MGS franchise was either totally exclusive or timed exclusive until Ground Zeros. 

As far as the console industry goes, timed exclusivity doesn't void the fact that the only PS3 exclusive game of the franchise is MGS4. There's also Portable Ops and Ac!d games being exclusive for PSP, but then we would also have to count Nintendo having an exclusive Metal Gear game on their platform, which also means the franchise isn't (and never was) totally exclusive.

The fact that Konami saw fit to repeatedly release Xbox and PC versions (Metal Gear Solid Integral, MGS2 Substance, the HD version, now GZ and TPP), and venture into Nintendo at times (Twin Snakes, MGS3 3D) means that they had a fanbase - no matter how small - in such places. It would have made zero sense making TPP PS4 exclusive, and Konami knows that. And we're still disregarding digital sales and the game's legs in the long run.

Guitarguy said:
Wright said:

Franchise fatigue, unnecesary entry on the saga, waiting for Christmas, boycotting Konami, boycotting Kojima, too expensive for its value, piracy, used games.

Pick the reasons you prefer!

Used games... Have been around since the dawn of time. Brand new AAA games are actually cheaper now than back in the SNES/Genesis/PS1 era. Very little has changed.

Nice you mention this. I'm 35 and work with FInance so the concept of money value on different decades is very interesting to me.

50 dollars for a brand new game on 1992 was probably a LOT of money back then. It always amazes me that we still can keep new releases prices around 60 dollars. I expected that this generation would raise the bar for 70 dollars but it didnt happen.

Back on topic, MGS is my favorite franchise ever, will be picking V in a few weeks.

BraLoD said:
Was obvious multiplat wouldn't do wonders to MGSV.
Should have been PS4 exclusive and way more money going to marketing.

The same goes for FFXV.

Exactly and both are held back technically.

How can you say it doesn't matter how small the fanbase is on other platforms? Of course it does. That's potentially wasted money doing ports that could of been used focused on making the version better on the one platform where most of the profits will come from. Konami releasing MGS games on Nintendo and MS consoles shows that they tried to grow the base, but obviously that didn't really work. Look at their earnings report. Their games are basically PS exclusive. Much less MGS.

The XB1 version managed below 200K in September. Even counting 10% digital sales that's not much. Same result overseas. Where is the fanbase on other platforms? There are none. It would of made PERFECT sense making it PS4 exclusive. That's your main base. Plus getting more attention trough marketing and bundles. The same can be said about FFXV and KH3. I can't wait to see the sales results of those.

Lol, PS3 sold better than PS4 at the time given to MGS exclusivity. Interesting.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won