By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear 4 vs Metal Gear 5 (NPD debut month figures)

Airaku said:
Honestly... I've been a hardcore MGS fan for a long time. I really don't understand the hate for MGS 4: Guns of the Patriots. Hell many people consider it to this day to still be on of the best video games of all times. It is vastly superior to MGS V in every way. The story is one of the best stories I've seen in a game and so is the game play. Even will all the epic moments in MGS V, there's no boss fights on the scale of what we see in MGS 4. We also don't see your own soldiers fighting along side you on the battlefield. In MGS 4 we have this 3 way battle going on and the resistance faction will push with you or fight you depending on your actions. I fail to see any comparison between the two games.

As for sales. Phantom Pain is going to have way more sales in the end. I don't think the game is going to slow down in its sales anytime soon.

Oh god, that doesn't bode well for me because I thought 4 was kind of meh.  MGS3 for life.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network
JOKA_ said:
Airaku said:
Honestly... I've been a hardcore MGS fan for a long time. I really don't understand the hate for MGS 4: Guns of the Patriots. Hell many people consider it to this day to still be on of the best video games of all times. It is vastly superior to MGS V in every way. The story is one of the best stories I've seen in a game and so is the game play. Even will all the epic moments in MGS V, there's no boss fights on the scale of what we see in MGS 4. We also don't see your own soldiers fighting along side you on the battlefield. In MGS 4 we have this 3 way battle going on and the resistance faction will push with you or fight you depending on your actions. I fail to see any comparison between the two games.

As for sales. Phantom Pain is going to have way more sales in the end. I don't think the game is going to slow down in its sales anytime soon.

Oh god, that doesn't bode well for me because I thought 4 was kind of meh.  MGS3 for life.

Well it is subjective of a opinion. Solid Snake my hero, not Big Boss xD I think he's honestly one of the most noble and selfless heroes ever, and yes I'm also the odd dude who thinks "The Twin Snakes" is a massive upgrade from the original.

TTS + MGS4 = Solid Snake fanboy :3
Plus I loved the game play, story, and boss fights. So there's that too.

As far as for YOU! If your more into MGS 3 and more of a Big Boss fan. Maybe this game will be for you. Did you try and like Ground Zeroes? It's much like that... only better. Unfortunely the rumors about the game not having many cutscenes or "Snake" (Sorry Solid (and Liquid) is Snake to me) not talking much are true. However the gameplay is phenomenal as expected from an MGS game. The story is alright, but has great high points. The twist at the end sucked at first glance but.... damnit it was amazing and well played! Just make sure you play Groud Zeroes first, the connection to the game is MASSIVE! I cannot stress this enough without spoiling anything. Just be sure that you pick up BOTH games.

Airaku said:

No mention of MGS2? That's the game where Snake truly shines.

Wright said:
Airaku said:

No mention of MGS2? That's the game where Snake truly shines.

It's been a long time since I played MGS2 and I need to replay it. I didn't care for it in the way I did with the other games. Snake is still amazing and he's more wise and intellegent here. Nobel as always but I want to play as him. Not a naked fairy boy running around covering his crotch :3

Jk about that last part. I actually didn't mind Raiden, I wasnt a fan of the Big Shell level design to be honest, but I really want to give it another shot. I loved the game but the magic from TTS, MGS4, and MGS3 just wasn't there for me.

For me, i have buy MSG4, and don't have buy MSG5, just because i won't buy anymore konami product at release but only used.

Around the Network
Airaku said:
JOKA_ said:

Well it is subjective of a opinion. Solid Snake my hero, not Big Boss xD I think he's honestly one of the most noble and selfless heroes ever, and yes I'm also the odd dude who thinks "The Twin Snakes" is a massive upgrade from the original.

Plus I loved the game play, story, and boss fights. So there's that too.

As far as for YOU! If your more into MGS 3 and more of a Big Boss fan. Maybe this game will be for you. Did you try and like Ground Zeroes? It's much like that... only better. Unfortunely the rumors about the game not having many cutscenes or "Snake" (Sorry Solid (and Liquid) is Snake to me) not talking much are true. However the gameplay is phenomenal as expected from an MGS game. The story is alright, but has great high points. The twist at the end sucked at first glance but.... damnit it was amazing and well played! Just make sure you play Groud Zeroes first, the connection to the game is MASSIVE! I cannot stress this enough without spoiling anything. Just be sure that you pick up BOTH games.

Yeah MGS3 was my first MGS game so Big Boss has been more of 'the hero' to me, I played the games totally out of order.  Before I buy MGS5 Ive decided to play all the games again, I'm about halfway through MGS1 right now.  Just need to finish 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes first.  Probably get to MGS5 in a few decades ha.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Wright said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Sometimes being exclusive is better for a franchise.

Thing is, the only exclusive game of this franchise is MGS4. Metal Gear started on a Microsoft system, followed by Sony consoles and then it also went to PC and Nintendo platforms.

Well this is partially true.

Metal Gear Solid was released exclusively on PS1 in September on 1998. PC in September of 2000. At worst, MGS1 was a console exclusive(PS1).
MGS2 was a timed exclusive with the Xbox and PC version coming out a year later. I would agree that MGS2 was not full console exclusive.
MGS3 was only released on PS2 in the generation. Sony exclusive.
MGS4 was we all know is a full PS3 exclusive.

Twin Snakes was a full remake on a console in the next generation. It does not negate that MGS1 was a console exclusive during it's commercial lifespan. That would be like saying Resident Evil Remake retro-actively voids the GCN version being an exclusive.

ethomaz said:
Puppyroach said:
ethomaz said:
Yeap... multiplatform didn't do nothing to MGS franchise.

Well, that's one, highly subjective way of looking at it. The other is that going multi platform prevented it from tanking all together.

Yeap... subjective but I believe it could be sold more being PS4 only.

So we're blaming mgs v sales on the fact it had all platforms to sell on? So more consumers = less sales? What? So you're blaming it on not being exclusive to PlayStation? It would have sold better just on PlayStation than on all of them? It was still on PlayStation, so the option was still there, how would the game have sold more by excluding the other consoles? So to you, less = more. Got it. So, it's the xbox fault that mgs v didn't sell more... even though it sold a million or two that may not have bought it otherwise? That must be a common core mathematical equation right there.

Lol how can people think it would have sold better only being a ps4 exclusive. lol ridiculous.

JOKA_ said:

Yeah MGS3 was my first MGS game so Big Boss has been more of 'the hero' to me, I played the games totally out of order.  Before I buy MGS5 Ive decided to play all the games again, I'm about halfway through MGS1 right now.  Just need to finish 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes first.  Probably get to MGS5 in a few decades ha.

I'm guessing you haven't played the original Metal Gear games? Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake? Just curious. You definately do want to play them in chronological order. I would actually recommend just doing that. Start with MGS 3 and work your way to MGS4. That includes playing Phantom Pain before MGS1 :P

"Big Boss has been more of 'the hero' to me"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OH FUCK! That was a good one xD

You might be more of a Big Boss guy and love the character to death. Though how the hell is he more "heroic" than Solid Snake?