By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metal Gear 4 vs Metal Gear 5 (NPD debut month figures)

Airaku said:
JOKA_ said:

Yeah MGS3 was my first MGS game so Big Boss has been more of 'the hero' to me, I played the games totally out of order.  Before I buy MGS5 Ive decided to play all the games again, I'm about halfway through MGS1 right now.  Just need to finish 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes first.  Probably get to MGS5 in a few decades ha.

I'm guessing you haven't played the original Metal Gear games? Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake? Just curious. You definately do want to play them in chronological order. I would actually recommend just doing that. Start with MGS 3 and work your way to MGS4. That includes playing Phantom Pain before MGS1 :P

"Big Boss has been more of 'the hero' to me"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OH FUCK! That was a good one xD

You might be more of a Big Boss guy and love the character to death. Though how the hell is he more "heroic" than Solid Snake?

I had MGS3 Subsistence, which I believe came with the MG1/2.  I was playing through 1 and got stuck somewhere and didn't have the urge to finish, I was way more interested in the 3D games.

I would say the things that BB did during MGS3 were pretty heroic.  When I played it I knew that he would eventually turn bad (in the series) but that entire game he stayed a 'good guy'.  He seems like a tragic protagonist.

Anakin/Vader is more interesting than Luke to me, *shrug*.  Watching a good guy go bad is fascinating.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network
Mad55 said:
Lol how can people think it would have sold better only being a ps4 exclusive. lol ridiculous.

Well it definitely would have sold more on playstation 4 if it was exclusive (like it is selling right now) and you have to remember if sony and konami had a exclusive contract which would imply that the cost for producing MGV would shrink by quite a bit.

- No Xbox or Pc port

- No marketing (or way less marketing in the end)

- More marketing for the game just for being exclusive (look at bloodborne)

- Sony would have fund the game a bit (so no develpoement cost of $80 millioin)

so yeah thinking it would have sold more is a bit extreme, but I think would it be a ps4 exclusive (and 3) it would have benefit konami a bit more in  the end.

Sprash said:
Mad55 said:
Lol how can people think it would have sold better only being a ps4 exclusive. lol ridiculous.

Well it definitely would have sold more on playstation 4 if it was exclusive (like it is selling right now) and you have to remember if sony and konami had a exclusive contract which would imply that the cost for producing MGV would shrink by quite a bit.

- No Xbox or Pc port

so yeah thinking it would have sold more is a bit extreme, but I think would it be a ps4 exclusive (and 3) it would have benefit konami a bit more in  the end.

-I guarantee the xbox one sales will more than cover the cost of the port as well as the PC version. 

- Way less or no marketing makes no sense to me, Konami still would have went hard with promoting a main metal gear entry 

- We don't know if Sony would have helped fund it. 

Bloodborne in the end wont touch the sales of dark souls 1 or 2 which released on multiple platforms and is a pretty good comparison in general given the similarity of fan bases between the games. 

JOKA_ said:

I had MGS3 Subsistence, which I believe came with the MG1/2.  I was playing through 1 and got stuck somewhere and didn't have the urge to finish, I was way more interested in the 3D games.

I would say the things that BB did during MGS3 were pretty heroic.  When I played it I knew that he would eventually turn bad (in the series) but that entire game he stayed a 'good guy'.  He seems like a tragic protagonist.

Anakin/Vader is more interesting than Luke to me, *shrug*.  Watching a good guy go bad is fascinating.

I can definitely agree with you on that. Snake Eater truly depicted BB as a hero. It made it so hard to see that this heroic man could fall so hard. Much like Anakin was in episode I and II. I just wished that "The Phantom Pain" showed his downfall (I'm only mentioning this to avoid disappointment. The game is still GOOD!). It's a shame that this all happened off screen. BB is an amazing villain and it's something that needs to be brought up to the modern day fans. I would do anything for a straight up remake of MG and MG2: Solid Snake. I also wished we would see how Big Boss took in Gray Fox and Sniper Wolf. I also wanted to see them go after Dr. Clark. Hmmm Everyone wants a game where we play as Liquid... but I think at this rate.... Gray Fox might just be the MOST important character that we need to explore. He alone may just fill in all the mission blanks that  the hardcore fans demand and expected Phantom Pain to address. Let's also not mention the hole with Solidus (not even mentioned in the game).

I agree that BB is a very tragic character. I would debate that Solid Snake is far more tragic, for many reasons that would require an essay to discuss xD For one... In the end he did what his father could not, he took the path that few would even considered. A self-sacrificing hero just for tomorrows children.

Solid Snake is "The Man Who Saved The World" :3

Sprash said:
Mad55 said:

- No Xbox or Pc port

Even if Sony had exclusivity I bet Konami would have wanted a PC port. Look at SFV.

Sony cant buy every exclusive. If they had more money, they might invest in some Vita software.

Also, if Konami really wants to continue the MGS series, it must be important to them to have it available to a larger western audience than Sony alone has.

The SFV deal is great for Sony, but it was a bad move for the IP. I feel the same way about Titanfall.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

By some people's logic, Street Fighter V should sell more than or at least equal to SFIV on PS3, Xbox360, and PC combined.

Bloodborne did it already.

ethomaz said:
d21lewis said:

By some people's logic, Street Fighter V should sell more than or at least equal to SFIV on PS3, Xbox360, and PC combined.

Bloodborne did it already.

No, Bloodborne hasn't done that. In physical numbers Its not even close. We don't know the digital numbers of Dark Souls either.

SFIV was a popular Xbox title, significantly more so than Dark Souls.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

No, Bloodborne hasn't done that. In physical numbers Its not even close. We don't know the digital numbers of Dark Souls either.

It did.

Bloodborne is the fastest selling From Software game even if you combine all version of previous Dark Souls... it is the record.

Bloodborne > any Dark Souls in all plataforms in the same timeframe of sales.

BTW it needs about 600k sales to be the best selling From Software game counting lifetime sales.

ethomaz said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It did.

Bloodborne is the fastest selling From Software game even if you combine all version of previous Dark Souls... it is the record.

Bloodborne > any Dark Souls in all plataforms in the same timeframe of sales.

BTW it needs about 600k sales to be the best selling From Software game counting lifetime sales.

It might become the best selling game from From Software, but its currently not. You implied it already was.

While an impressive feat for that IP, SFIV was significantly more successful between Xbox and Playstation.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:

While an impressive feat for that IP, SFIV was significantly more successful between Xbox and Playstation.

I believe SFV on PS4 will sell more than SFIV across all platforms... maybe not them all re releases togheter but counting only the single game it will sell more.