By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Cloud Power: Unlimited CPU - Future of Games Claim

Bold claim... hope they do deliver.

I live in Canada and yeah we are like the poor child of internet connections and we are also getting raped for that poor service. But that doesn't mean new technology shouldn't be explored and/or talked about.

People act like online only games are really bad and MS only wants to force DRM on everything and everyone but games like Titanfall did pretty well and they will buy SWBF in droves...

Around the Network

I think cloud gaming is undeniably the future. I don't think that means always online or you can't play, though, and I do think it will happen this generation.

Great, so they can improve CPU calculations.

What about the GPU?

Sharpryno said:
Idk why so many people are being trolls when this isn't even about Microsoft, its about the company Cloudgine.
None of you ever seeing this becoming an amazing technology? Or do you guys just bash MS every chance you get. Probably the latter.

As a network engineer I will never trust realtime applications that rely on low latency to work properly over the internet. It's not about MS, it's about playing people for chumps who think the cloud is a magical place.

So far I haven't seen a scenario in video games that couldn't be properly addressed by the local CPU. Usually when running into the CPU bottleneck in a game it's because it's poorly optimized or you're doing something with it that's not practical and not what it was intended for. So far there is absolutely no need for highly accurate particle physics in games. In the end it's all marketing used to sell more copies.

And before you ask, offloading graphical computation to the cloud is an even worse idea.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

This future is what I'm hoping for, where cloud gaming, local gaming and cloud computing more or less merge together. I don't care if I always need to be online and if it can give gamers even greater world and games, I'm all for it.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
This future is what I'm hoping for, where cloud gaming, local gaming and cloud computing more or less merge together. I don't care if I always need to be online and if it can give gamers even greater world and games, I'm all for it.

What's not big enough in current offline singleplayer games?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Lolll here we go again...

vivster said:
Puppyroach said:

That's kind of the point. I want developers to surprise me, give me things that has either not been possible before or that can be made to a larger degree. No matter how you try to twist it, this gives developers more possibilities, and that is never a bad thing.

Teeqoz said:
This reminds me of another The Red Dragon video talking about how "Gamers are easily influenced by propaganda".....

Reminds me of the time TRD isn't entirely correct in what he goes on with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1WDSb6H5hA

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Puppyroach said:
vivster said:

That's kind of the point. I want developers to surprise me, give me things that has either not been possible before or that can be made to a larger degree. No matter how you try to twist it, this gives developers more possibilities, and that is never a bad thing.

I think it would give developers a false sense of more capabilities. It might even be detrimental to the development of the game if they run into issues they didn't expect and might not even be able to solve due to the limitations of this technology.

In the end all this does is offloading computing power, nothing more, nothing less. However I have yet to hear a developer complain about not sufficient enough CPU resources. In fact I believe the trend is going towards offloading the CPU to the GPU instead of the cloud.

We don't know how this will end because there is no proper field study for this technology in games yet. Best case scenario it will make a handful of games make some more physics calculations that make the game slightly prettier. Worst case scenario is that it will result in a bunch of broken games, wasted development money and focus being pulled away from advancing CPU to GPU offloading.

My guess is somewhere in the middle where it will be used for one or two games, works almost properly and be then forgotten to concentrate on more promising technologies pertaining to gaming.