By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Cloud Power: Unlimited CPU - Future of Games Claim

pokoko said:
In this thread, I've learned that having internet access is kind of like having household electricity and that cloud computing is kind of like a cure for cancer.

We've come a long way.

On topic, Crackdown 3 multiplayer looks interesting. Not my cup of Wendigo's Summer Blend but the destructibility is intriguing. Still, it's a long jump from that to realistic destruction in realistic environments. 99% of the games I play, I don't want them to look like what I see in Crackdown 3. There is still a lot to prove with the technology before we can be sure that it's "the future". I mean, I'm still waiting for our gaming future with Kinect to kick in.

Also, keep that crub in online multi-player modes. The internet in much of the world is not reliable enough for single-player modes to depend on it.

acces to internet is basic needs in alot of countrys,(you have the right to a internet acces in germany, and i think one of the baltic states has free internet for everyone)so yes its like electricity or water.

Around the Network
Sharpryno said:
Aeolus451 said:
Cloud gaming is basically always online and has more restrictive DRM. Both the xbox one and ps4's networks go down way too much for this to be practical for everyday gaming. The future, my ass.

yeah, it never worked out with the three current biggest games in the world, WoW, Dota2, League of Legends.  Those games were so unsuccesful for being always online. 

Always online is not bad by itself but console gamers are used to be able to play offline for the majority of their games at their whim. If cloud gaming became the next standard in console gaming, that's when always online is a huge negative. It takes the choice from gamers of how they want to play their games. What happens when a game is no longer supported by the cloud? Could I still play it all?  I want to be able to play what I want when I want.  

The console networks go down way too often for it.

WoW, Dota2, League of Legends and other games like those are multiplayer games which are designed to be played online only. Apples and oranges.

generic-user-1 said:
pokoko said:
In this thread, I've learned that having internet access is kind of like having household electricity and that cloud computing is kind of like a cure for cancer.

We've come a long way.

On topic, Crackdown 3 multiplayer looks interesting. Not my cup of Wendigo's Summer Blend but the destructibility is intriguing. Still, it's a long jump from that to realistic destruction in realistic environments. 99% of the games I play, I don't want them to look like what I see in Crackdown 3. There is still a lot to prove with the technology before we can be sure that it's "the future". I mean, I'm still waiting for our gaming future with Kinect to kick in.

Also, keep that crub in online multi-player modes. The internet in much of the world is not reliable enough for single-player modes to depend on it.

acces to internet is basic needs in alot of countrys,(you have the right to a internet acces in germany, and i think one of the baltic states has free internet for everyone)so yes its like electricity or water.

If my electricity would run like my internet, the lights would be dimming all the time and I would be resetting all my clocks daily. There is a vast diffference between internet access, and reliable always on high speed unlimited bandwidth internet that is required for cloud gaming.

It was thanksgiving just last weekend in Canada. Surprise, internet barely worked during the day. My kids complaining their videos wouldn't run, still waiting for that reliable internet. We had a blast playing MK8 though.

SvennoJ said:
generic-user-1 said:
pokoko said:

We've come a long way.

If my electricity would run like my internet, the lights would be dimming all the time and I would be resetting all my clocks daily. There is a vast diffference between internet access, and reliable always on high speed unlimited bandwidth internet that is required for cloud gaming.

It was thanksgiving just last weekend in Canada. Surprise, internet barely worked during the day. My kids complaining their videos wouldn't run, still waiting for that reliable internet. We had a blast playing MK8 though.

dont people in canada have better things to do? liek thinking about cutting all ties to the english with their pigfucking PM? or wrestling bears?

-User moderated for this and many other posts - Tachikoma

Sharpryno said:
Aeolus451 said:
Cloud gaming is basically always online and has more restrictive DRM. Both the xbox one and ps4's networks go down way too much for this to be practical for everyday gaming. The future, my ass.

yeah, it never worked out with the three current biggest games in the world, WoW, Dota2, League of Legends.  Those games were so unsuccesful for being always online. 

Very different requirements. I've played Everquest and WoW for years on a spotty internet connection. The lag meters looked pretty terryfying yet those games are designed around low bandwidth and high lag. You can lose connection for upto 30 seconds and it still keeps going. (Still had plenty of link deaths, ugh the memories) Totally different from real time physics simulation.

Anyway in the case of Crackdown 3 it was already confirmed for multiplayer only afaik. So if the connection acts up you can still play single player.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Sharpryno said:
Aeolus451 said:

Always online is not bad by itself but console gamers are used to be able to play offline for the majority of their games at their whim. If cloud gaming became the next standard in console gaming, that's when always online is a huge negative. It takes the choice from gamers of how they want to play their games. What happens when a game is no longer supported by the cloud? Could I still play it all?  I want to be able to play what I want when I want.  

WoW, Dota2, League of Legends and other games like those are multiplayer games which are designed to be played online only. Apples and oranges.

So a game comes out that requires an internet connection is bad?  Just don't buy it.  I don't see people whining about PC games only being available to download and buy via online.  I am sure some of them even have the potential for offline play without cloud computing, does not mean the graphics are "downgraded" like some people claim.  

generic-user-1 said:

Dont believe the minority part

Sharpryno said:
Aeolus451 said:
Sharpryno said:
Aeolus451 said:

So a game comes out that requires an internet connection is bad?  Just don't buy it.  I don't see people whining about PC games only being available to download and buy via online.  I am sure some of them even have the potential for offline play without cloud computing, does not mean the graphics are "downgraded" like some people claim.  

I never said anything of the sort. Did you not read what I wrote? Why are you talking about people whining about digital games when I didn't bring it up?

Miguel_Zorro said:
generic-user-1 said:
SvennoJ said:
generic-user-1 said:
pokoko said:

We've come a long way.

dont people in canada have better things to do? liek thinking about cutting all ties to the english with their pigfucking PM? or wrestling bears?

Excuse me?  What is that supposed to mean?

england is ruled by a men who was blown by a pig