By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Cloud Power: Unlimited CPU - Future of Games Claim

fatslob-:O said:
Sharpryno said:

This video refers to the CEO of Cloudgine, not Microsoft.  Try again?  

Why so defensive ? 

And it's not like Cloudgine isn't related to Microsoft at all when their doing some work for Crackdown 3 ... 

Defensive? Sorry I did not post ignorantly.  Two companies working together on a project isn't something abnormal.  What is your point? 

Around the Network
Sharpryno said:
Idk why so many people are being trolls when this isn't even about Microsoft, its about the company Cloudgine.
None of you ever seeing this becoming an amazing technology? Or do you guys just bash MS every chance you get. Probably the latter.

When a thread has a title starting with 'Xbox Cloud Power', people are naturally going to assume it relates to MS. I can't even fault people for jumping to that conclusion without watching the video either, given Red Dragon's reputation here.

Regardless, the reason the cloud gets so much flack isn't because MS is its biggest pusher, but because of the huge gap we presently have between what is frequently promised as 'just around the corner', and what we are currently actually getting. We are almost 2 years into the 8th generation and yet we only have a single unreleased game that demonstrates significant use of the 'cloud', and even then only for a specific feature (and one that's still heavily reliant on off-line hardware to render it). It doesn't help that there are plenty of titles coming to both the PS4 and X1 that the majority seem to consider more technically impressive than the current cloud poster child. That will inevitably lead people to question to the use of the cloud, fair or not.

If you promise someone the moon on Monday, don't be surprised if they see a diamond as trivial on Tuesday.

Ruler said:
Sharpryno said:
Ruler said:

I agree Microsoft is always pushing for Online. Without the internet on Xbox One you cant record footage, install your physical 360 games and now downgraded graphics on their exclusives? Its a bad trend

i want power and features from local hardware not servers, thats why i am not font for PSnow either.

We are talking about dirt cheap consoles with hardly any power.  It is simply an extension.  You'd rather record 50+ video clips and store them on your limited hdd? Or access them from many different places and have the option to download to your machine.  Of course you need the internet to check the validity of the 360 game you want to play or everyone would easily pirate it.  Get caught up on tech bruh 

And lol @ downgraded graphics.  It is an extension to make your cheap console suck less.  Amazingly applicable to huge open world games or MMORPGS where the world is stored on the server!  Not your crappy console. 

so if the cloud is so much better in videocapturing why cant it record more than 5 minutes of footage? not to mention you have to have a xbox live gold subscription to get your footage on your computer for editing. 

Well if they want to have certain games having better graphics and physics why not releasing a more powerfull xbox which can support these games?

The Xbox Ones BC feature downloads data to verify youre not a pirate? lol, how is it easy to trick the system if only physical games get aproved?

Do you know how many times servers were shut down for these server based games? including the entire original xbox live network which was paid for by its users? And the servers go often times down or your internet. So yeah the graphics will be downgraded in crackdown in the singleplayer mode

If you really feel the need to record your gameplay, it would be for professional or hobby related reasons.  Why would you want to do that in 72030fps, that is not the point of the record function.  Alternatively you can stream it on Twitch, and download to your PC later.  No one on console is going to watch your 30minute gameplay video after it already happened. 

Release more powerful Xbox?  They are basically PCs, get one of those if you want a tremendous increase in graphical fidelity and power.  See Steam Machines coming out and their price tag of $1000+ for a lot of them. 

Xbox360 and PS3 have already been broken and can easily run your downloaded games to a disc or USB.  The way MS has it set up is via a 360 emulation software.

Yes I know how many times servers go down and have problems.  The graphics will be at the point where they run on XBO best.  The Cloudgine will enable the environements to be pushed further and enhance realism.  How do you not understand this?  They are not downgrading anything, just making things better given the limitations. 

ReimTime said:
SvennoJ said:
ReimTime said:

Ok so I decided to read up on this a little bit. Here is what I have found.

Q: How much bandwidth will it take?

A:It's only essentially sending one set of geometry back to each console per frame.. 3D models are essentially just a set of co-ordinates in space.. even updating hundreds of thousands of these co-ordinates per frame is a relatively small amount of data compared to things like streaming video - which we all do daily.. It's likely less data than streaming the video you're watching.

-When using MS Compute for physics, you are only passing back and forth very small amounts of data, it's the result of MS Compute figuring out how/where physical based items in the game will fall or interact. That info is usually just a few characters that the Xbox One console can use to make it happen in game. The heavy lifting is being done by MS Compute/Cloud.

Reim's notes: So basically the cloud will help with computations, meaning your worlds can be fully physical. Instead of a building being an inaccessible image that will not obey the laws of physics, the cloud can be used to compute all the equations needed to render it a physical object. This does not take up as much bandwidth as we think it may, seeing as it is passing computations back and forth and not streaming or rendering any data.

That's really all I wanted to know to be honest. If it doesn't use much bandwidth than I suppose it is only a matter of cost and how early they can start using it. It looks to me like it may work fairly well.

I will reserve judgement on it until more coverage comes out but as of this moment it looks really cool! As for being always online, Crackdown 3 will have an online and offline mode (where the offline does not have access to physical environments cos no internet = no cloud) so there is evidence that you will have a choice.

Depends on the video quality and responsiveness you need. That simply glosses over the fact that the video you are watching is buffered ahead to compensate for the variable bitrate at which it arrives at your home. When I do a speed test I average out at 20mbps, however it's full of dips when analyzed further.

even updating hundreds of thousands of these co-ordinates per frame is a relatively small amount of data compared to things like streaming video

Again comparing to what kind of video?
A hundred thousand coordinates per frame is 549 mbps for 60fps in raw data....  Sure you can compress that a lot, yet you can't use lossy compression as used for video. I would take the hundreds of thousands coordinates with a huge grain of salt.

Anyway I guess what they mean is they'll only update collisions while the console will track everything in free fall to keep the data flow under control. Yet can they smooth out the spikes that will generate. It's nice to say you only need 3-5mbps on average, yet if a big explosion needs the equivalent of 50mbps or more for a second things might not look that great. So basically the server will have to work ahead to get the collision data to you ahead of time.

Unlimited CPU is great, depending on unreliable 5mbps for communicating with that unlimited CPU is a huge challenge. I'm curious to see how it will perform in a real world setting with wifi routers serving a bunch of other devices around the house at the same time.

From what I read - and again these aren't my words - apparently the maximum bandwidth required is 1.5 mbps to communicate the computations back and forth - so there is no video streaming involved, just communicating computations back and forth. Whether or not that is bs I have no idea; at this early stage I haven't seen any evidence to sway me one way or the other. I am also curious to see how it performs in a real world environment.

Along with general reliability, I'm curious as to how hiccups in the server/connection would manifest. I mean, nothing is going to run 100% flawlessly all the time, hiccups can and probably inevitably will happen, so I'm wondering what happens if a few seconds' worth of of calculations doesn't arrive, or it's delayed, etc, how such things would appear to the player. Would it look like stuttering, whatever assets moving as if the framerate took a giant hit? Would it get all wonky and crazy? Would the game crash? Folks are going to generally be fine with the occasional framerate/visual hitch here and there, so minor performance hiccups probably wouldn't hurt the appeal, so long as they remain minor and fairly sporadic.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Zekkyou said:
Sharpryno said:
Idk why so many people are being trolls when this isn't even about Microsoft, its about the company Cloudgine.
None of you ever seeing this becoming an amazing technology? Or do you guys just bash MS every chance you get. Probably the latter.

When a thread has a title starting with 'Xbox Cloud Power', people are naturally going to assume it relates to MS. I can't even fault people for jumping to that conclusion without watching the video either, given Red Dragon's fairly well established reputation.

Regardless, the reason the cloud gets so much flack isn't because MS is its biggest pusher, but because of the huge gap we presently have between what is frequently promised as 'just around the corner', and what we are currently actually getting. We are almost 2 years into the 8th generation and yet we only have a single unreleased game that demonstrates significant use of the 'cloud', and even then only for a specific feature (and one that's still heavily reliant on off-line hardware to render it). It doesn't help that there are plenty of titles coming to both the PS4 and X1 that the majority seem to consider more technically impressive than the current cloud poster child. That will inevitably lead people to question to the use of the cloud, fair or not.

If you promise someone the moon on Monday, don't be surprised if they see a diamond a trivial on Tuesday.

I mean, I know, but I at least listened to the first 20 seconds of the video o.O.  Idk why that is the title.   

Say the tech is perfect in three years and it enhances games 10fold to push them past limitations, what is so wron with trying to achieve that  initially.

Its like bashing someone for trying to cure cancer with statements like, "it will never work, why bother." 

But I agree, MS should have never hyped it in the ways that did a year or so ago.  Literally no point to continue to critize.  They are at least trying and making an effort. 

Around the Network
ReimTime said:
SvennoJ said:

Depends on the video quality and responsiveness you need. That simply glosses over the fact that the video you are watching is buffered ahead to compensate for the variable bitrate at which it arrives at your home. When I do a speed test I average out at 20mbps, however it's full of dips when analyzed further.

even updating hundreds of thousands of these co-ordinates per frame is a relatively small amount of data compared to things like streaming video

Again comparing to what kind of video?
A hundred thousand coordinates per frame is 549 mbps for 60fps in raw data....  Sure you can compress that a lot, yet you can't use lossy compression as used for video. I would take the hundreds of thousands coordinates with a huge grain of salt.

Anyway I guess what they mean is they'll only update collisions while the console will track everything in free fall to keep the data flow under control. Yet can they smooth out the spikes that will generate. It's nice to say you only need 3-5mbps on average, yet if a big explosion needs the equivalent of 50mbps or more for a second things might not look that great. So basically the server will have to work ahead to get the collision data to you ahead of time.

Unlimited CPU is great, depending on unreliable 5mbps for communicating with that unlimited CPU is a huge challenge. I'm curious to see how it will perform in a real world setting with wifi routers serving a bunch of other devices around the house at the same time.

From what I read - and again these aren't my words - apparently the maximum bandwidth required is 1.5 mbps to communicate the computations back and forth - so there is no video streaming involved, just communicating computations back and forth. Whether or not that is bs I have no idea; at this early stage I haven't seen any evidence to sway me one way or the other. I am also curious to see how it performs in a real world environment.

Ah, that's different from the earlier Crackdown estimates. They were talking about 3 to 5 mbps, which I already thought pretty low.
We'll see, yet 1.5 mbps is only 6.4 KB per frame at 30fps. Or just over 1600 longs (4 byte numbers) about 540 coordinates per frame. It's very little when it comes to usuable data.

Very curious to see the end result. How big the difference is going to be between cloud on and cloud off.

BraLoD said:
Sharpryno said:

I informed myself before posting, most people hating did not.  I was simply correcting them so they could stop? Or actually watch the video.  It is not related to MS in anyway.

Seems like I can't quote the actual part I want that was aimed to me, with my phone, but anyway.

Don't point the subject to another way, so the first part about (watch the video) had nothing to do with the "dirty cheap consoles".

Now, which games is far more impressive than Uncharted 4? There is no game even close to be as realistic as it, and I'm not refering to the graphical quality only, as yes, there is better definition games, but there isn't anything as expressive at showing the world as it, and it has to do with the animations, graphical polishness and physics computation.

The dirty cheap PS4 has been showing with it that is more than capable than handing things on it's own, that are still to be seem in any other game yet.

You're trying to convince me the environement in Uncharted 4 is impressive?  Looks nice, but I've seen way better.  The character models though, are very impressive.  Not something cloudgine is kind of aiming at. 

Sharpryno said:

I mean, I know, but I at least listened to the first 20 seconds of the video o.O.  Idk why that is the title.   

Say the tech is perfect in three years and it enhances games 10fold to push them past limitations, what is so wron with trying to achieve that  initially.

Its like bashing someone for trying to cure cancer with statements like, "it will never work, why bother."  

It might not be entirely fair, but it's a good example of why it's so important to find a balance between getting people interested, and not setting their expectations so high that the road to that end goal is nothing but disappointment.

Again, it might not be entirely fair, but it's very much a hole they dug for themselves. Until they can deliver on what people initially expected (or at least something a step above everything else presently on the market), people will likely continue to belittle it.

ehm nvidia is allready streaming pc games. and their box is still a bit cheaper than the xbone.(but not for long if trends hold.. and they are only 9,99€/month. oh and you can buy a realy strong but cheap tab if you dont want the box

In this thread, I've learned that having internet access is kind of like having household electricity and that cloud computing is kind of like a cure for cancer.

We've come a long way.

On topic, Crackdown 3 multiplayer looks interesting. Not my cup of Wendigo's Summer Blend but the destructibility is intriguing. Still, it's a long jump from that to realistic destruction in realistic environments. 99% of the games I play, I don't want them to look like what I see in Crackdown 3. There is still a lot to prove with the technology before we can be sure that it's "the future". I mean, I'm still waiting for our gaming future with Kinect to kick in.

Also, keep that crub in online multi-player modes. The internet in much of the world is not reliable enough for single-player modes to depend on it.