By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Cloud Power: Unlimited CPU - Future of Games Claim

so people who spent few $k upgrading their PC hardware which still have limited power were so stupid huh...??

Around the Network

Cloud computing can do great things. I hate people that try and downplay it. It's like hearing the "PS4 has no gamez" quote over and over again. I don't think many studios will use it other that MS's 1st party studios but we should see some great things.

BTW this isn't exclusive to MS, PC and X1. PS4 is more than capable to also do this. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is looking to do this with their Gaikai company right now.

SWORDF1SH said:
Cloud computing can do great things. I hate people that try and downplay it. It's like hearing the "PS4 has no gamez" quote over and over again. I don't think many studios will use it other that MS's 1st party studios but we should see some great things.

BTW this isn't exclusive to MS, PC and X1. PS4 is more than capable to also do this. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is looking to do this with their Gaikai company right now.

Im sure most of us agree it can do great things, but its the DRM and what it can lead to that upsets some of us.

Its the fear of getting taken away some of our gaming freedom.

When cloud (Internet) data throughput and latency is equal to the connection between GDDR5 RAM and GPU then we can talk about how cloud compute will improve console performance. Over here in that land I like to call "Reality", the fastest and most bad-ass Internet connection is still orders of magnitude slower at feeding a GPU/CPU than local RAM.

Immersiveunreality said:
Snoopy said:

It is getting to the point that complaining about the internet for console is like complaining you need electricity to power your console. Internet is getting more and more reliable ,available and faster. Besides, most games now do require internet or you will be missing out on a lot (multiplayer, dlc, patches, ect).

You cant compare those two.

Its like saying that you would also agree to not being able to call someone if a phone isnt connected to the internet.

Having an internetconnection on a device that doesnt need one to do what is it bought for should never be forced upon us,let us just keep enjoying the freedom of options and not having to pay full price for a game that depends on a service that has an end somewhere.

No, it is going to be a big part of the future. Not all games would use this obviously, but it is neccessary for progress. We are already conditioned to accept games that are multiplayer only or needs online in some way or form. It will be accepted by the people over time.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Snoopy said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Can I ask what the difference is between making it impossible to play singleplayer games without DRM and making it impossible to play singleplayer games without the cloud? Both require you to be online in order to play games. Is it just me that's spotted this? No one wanted DRM but now they're suddenly longer for having to be always online to play games. This is DRM through the backdoor folks.

It is getting to the point that complaining about the internet for console is like complaining you need electricity to power your console. Internet is getting more and more reliable ,available and faster. Besides, most games now do require internet or you will be missing out on a lot (multiplayer, dlc, patches, ect).

Internet is nowhere near as reliable as electricity. Nor is that a good comparison. Electric devices need electricity in order to function at all. But there are many games that don't need a constant uninterrupted internet connection.

The people working on cloud technology have not been able to solve its two biggest problems yet. Latency and bandwith.
A time where this becomes standard seems very far off.

You ignored the second part. I said it is GETTTING to that point. My isp went down only once in the last 6 months and the speed is amazing. Not everyone has this, but services such as google fiber is coming up with a service to help us progress. I still remember 10 years using dsl and now I look back and laugh. People will get better oppurtunties in the future and it is getting more and more reliable nonetheless. Also, it is said by Microsoft and the developers that you need don't very high speed internet to use the power of the cloud. 

Immersiveunreality said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Im sure most of us agree it can do great things, but its the DRM and what it can lead to that upsets some of us.

What's the big deal with DRM? If it's the type of DRM that renders you physical copy of a game useless, then yes be upset about it.

How does this upset people? Because internet is required to do it?

Snoopy said:
Immersiveunreality said:

You cant compare those two.

Its like saying that you would also agree to not being able to call someone if a phone isnt connected to the internet.

Having an internetconnection on a device that doesnt need one to do what is it bought for should never be forced upon us,let us just keep enjoying the freedom of options and not having to pay full price for a game that depends on a service that has an end somewhere.

No, it is going to be a big part of the future. Not all games would use this obviously, but it is neccessary for progress. We are already conditioned to accept games that are multiplayer only or needs online in some way or form. It will be accepted by the people over time.

The future is what we ourselves vote for with our wallets,it will have as many paywalls as the consumers want it to have. Saying that i must also say we can spoil things for ourselves as luxury makes us lazy critics when we spend our money.

Tell me why you want us to have another paywall blocking our entertainment instead of predicting the future, or you just think its heading that way without the consumers being able to stop it?

SWORDF1SH said:
Immersiveunreality said:
SWORDF1SH said:

What's the big deal with DRM? If it's the type of DRM that renders you physical copy of a game useless, then yes be upset about it.

How does this upset people? Because internet is required to do it?

I do not want to speak for everyone but a game i pay 60 euros for should make me able to play that game without other paywalls blocking it,even if almost everyone has internet. It doesnt make much sense either to buy a bread for the ability to pay to be able to eat it.(Srry if that is a weak comparison )

GribbleGrunger said:

Can I ask what the difference is between making it impossible to play singleplayer games without DRM and making it impossible to play singleplayer games without the cloud? Both require you to be online in order to play games. Is it just me that's spotted this? No one wanted DRM but now they're suddenly longer for having to be always online to play games. This is DRM through the backdoor folks.

It's also going to be interesting to see how sites review games like Crackdown. Are they going to review it based on the core game that's working on the XB1 or are they going to review it with the assistance of cloud computing. If they go for the latter, will they mention you'll need to be online to benefit?

There isnt one. I dont like this trend, and it ll end up subpar to non cloud games when it comes to laginput ect.