By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Cloud Power: Unlimited CPU - Future of Games Claim

vivster said:
It's called cloud gaming because it only works in your dreams.

Bingo.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network

Regardless of whether you like the idea of this or not, it's not the future of gaming. The real future of gaming is systems like PSNow, not systems that still require you to own specific hardware. MS might be trying to position themselves to look like they're going to be the future but Sony have already jumped well ahead of that future.

The PS5 Exists. 

poklane said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Can I ask what the difference is between making it impossible to play singleplayer games without DRM and making it impossible to play singleplayer games without the cloud? Both require you to be online in order to play games. Is it just me that's spotted this? No one wanted DRM but now they're suddenly longer for having to be always online to play games. This is DRM through the backdoor folks.

Not only does Cloud Computing mean Always Online, it also gives publishers the option to shut down games entirely, including Single Player games. Just imagine a Single Player game utilizing the Cloud as a mandatory feature. Servers aren't infinite and cost money, at a certain time they WILL be shut down for the game. Do you know what this means for Single Player games utilizing the Cloud? It means that publishers will have the ability to shut down an entire game much like publishers can shut down Multiplayer components of games these days. Just imagine hundreds of PS2 games being unplayable because all of their components require the Cloud and they are shut down in favor for newer games, with the Cloud this will happen.

It will hurt the preservation of games, and people that want to buy a game and always be able to play it (as long as they have the console and the discs).

Its very anti consumer and I hope this isnt the future of gameing.

JRPGfan said:
poklane said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Can I ask what the difference is between making it impossible to play singleplayer games without DRM and making it impossible to play singleplayer games without the cloud? Both require you to be online in order to play games. Is it just me that's spotted this? No one wanted DRM but now they're suddenly longer for having to be always online to play games. This is DRM through the backdoor folks.

Not only does Cloud Computing mean Always Online, it also gives publishers the option to shut down games entirely, including Single Player games. Just imagine a Single Player game utilizing the Cloud as a mandatory feature. Servers aren't infinite and cost money, at a certain time they WILL be shut down for the game. Do you know what this means for Single Player games utilizing the Cloud? It means that publishers will have the ability to shut down an entire game much like publishers can shut down Multiplayer components of games these days. Just imagine hundreds of PS2 games being unplayable because all of their components require the Cloud and they are shut down in favor for newer games, with the Cloud this will happen.

It will hurt the preservation of games, and people that want to buy a game and always be able to play it (as long as they have the console and the discs).

Tell that to people who buy online only games already. Cloud will just enhance features that was never done before. For example, fable could have a very dynamic world that allows the world to be evolved based on little things. You can cut a tree and if you visit it later it can be a stump or if you mine out a certain area, the people in that area will start getting poorer and become a rougher place to live/visit. Things like this can make games way more fun and more complex/deep. We need things like this because I am tired of seeing the same games with a better coat. 

Snoopy said:
JRPGfan said:
poklane said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Tell that to people who buy online only games already. Cloud will just enhance features that was never done before. For example, fable could have a very dynamic world that allows the world to be evolved based on little things. You can cut a tree and if you visit it later it can be a stump or if you mine out a certain area, the people in that area will start getting poorer and become a rougher place to live/visit. Things like this can make games way more fun and more complex/deep. We need things like this because I am tired of seeing the same games with a better coat. 

You basicly want games to evolve faster while sacrificing our gaming-freedom.

If you are bored of the slow-evolving gaming then just do something else for a while and it will be exciting again when you return to it. :p

Btw cloud will never be the maximal potential,the devs and pubs still decide that.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
GribbleGrunger said:

It is getting to the point that complaining about the internet for console is like complaining you need electricity to power your console. Internet is getting more and more reliable ,available and faster. Besides, most games now do require internet or you will be missing out on a lot (multiplayer, dlc, patches, ect).

When you grow up in an era where consoles and games didn't need updates and where games were shipped 100% complete and working day ONE? It's going to be hard to swallow the shit we see these days.

Heres to hopeing cloud gameing crashes and burns!
I seriously dont want to see this crap in a single player game, and would probably have to vote with my wallet.

Immersiveunreality said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Immersiveunreality said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Cloud computing can do great things. I hate people that try and downplay it. It's like hearing the "PS4 has no gamez" quote over and over again. I don't think many studios will use it other that MS's 1st party studios but we should see some great things.

BTW this isn't exclusive to MS, PC and X1. PS4 is more than capable to also do this. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is looking to do this with their Gaikai company right now.

Im sure most of us agree it can do great things, but its the DRM and what it can lead to that upsets some of us.

Its the fear of getting taken away some of our gaming freedom.

What's the big deal with DRM? If it's the type of DRM that renders you physical copy of a game useless, then yes be upset about it.

How does this upset people? Because internet is required to do it?

I do not want to speak for everyone but a game i pay 60 euros for should make me able to play that game without other paywalls blocking it,even if almost everyone has internet. It doesnt make much sense either to buy a bread for the ability to pay to be able to eat it.(Srry if that is a weak comparison )

That's just a weak argument I feel. What's the difference between cloud computing and a game that is online multiplayer only. You buy a games suited to you, so if you don't have interent, you don't buy a cloud computing game.

Cloud computing pushes games further and the industry shouldn't be held back just because a few people want to bitch that they don't want to pay for interent fees just incase they buy it.

JRPGfan said:
Heres to hopeing cloud gameing crashes and burns!
I seriously dont want to see this crap in a single player game, and would probably have to vote with my wallet.

+1

Its a silly gimmicky propaganda to keep the Xbox users occupied. 

The Cloud (as Microsoft is presenting it) is in no way, shape or form the future.

SWORDF1SH said:
Immersiveunreality said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Immersiveunreality said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Cloud computing can do great things. I hate people that try and downplay it. It's like hearing the "PS4 has no gamez" quote over and over again. I don't think many studios will use it other that MS's 1st party studios but we should see some great things.

BTW this isn't exclusive to MS, PC and X1. PS4 is more than capable to also do this. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is looking to do this with their Gaikai company right now.

Im sure most of us agree it can do great things, but its the DRM and what it can lead to that upsets some of us.

Its the fear of getting taken away some of our gaming freedom.

What's the big deal with DRM? If it's the type of DRM that renders you physical copy of a game useless, then yes be upset about it.

How does this upset people? Because internet is required to do it?

I do not want to speak for everyone but a game i pay 60 euros for should make me able to play that game without other paywalls blocking it,even if almost everyone has internet. It doesnt make much sense either to buy a bread for the ability to pay to be able to eat it.(Srry if that is a weak comparison )

That's just a weak argument I feel. What's the difference between cloud computing and a game that is online multiplayer only. You buy a games suited to you, so if you don't have interent, you don't buy a cloud computing game.

Cloud computing pushes games further and the industry shouldn't be held back just because a few people want to bitch that they don't want to pay for interent fees just incase they buy it.

If lets say it goes through for xbox and it gets cloudpowered games what i highly doubt since that would be marketing insanety,would you really think there will be a high difference in quality between the cloud powered and the non cloud powered versions of a game? These companys want to make money so giving a big part of their OWN consumerbase a game thats a lot less good or blocking games would be very weird if they consider their future financial state.Expect some small graphical enchanchements but no big changes between games.

Xboxone tried to bring in the cloud at the launch of this gen and considering how everyone reacted it strange how its now defended so much.

The difference between cloud computing and  a game that is online multiplayer is very clear,a single player game doesnt need to be always connected to play it .