By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Hiku said:
Aquietguy said:
Hiku said:

He said Remote Play, not Dual Screen.

The Wii U doesn't have remote play. How have they copied it if the U doesn't have it.?

It does.

"It can display an entirely different image, or duplicate the television screen into the Wii U GamePad. Off-TV Play is the term used for when an entire game is played strictly on the controller, without the use of a television."

Distance is limited, but you can use it to play the game from another room, or free up the TV to allow someone to do something else with it while you play your WiiU game.

Off screen play is a byproduct of having a second screen.However,  the main point of the pad is dual screen interaction. Something that was done with the Gameboy Advanced. So they didn't copy PSP remote pkay. Sony copied them.

Around the Network
Scisca said:

Xbone is "good enough" when compared to the PS4.

NX has to be exciting to set off. I can't see the market getting excited for a console inferior to 3 years old consoles, consoles that your friends already have and that already have respectable libraries.

It would be exciting if it was not only stationary... But also portable. ;)
A device with 90% of the Xbox One's graphics in the palm of your hand. THAT is exciting and completely possible, today.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Is there really even a point in Nintendo trying to compete with Sony/MS? If there was just one of them, maybe, but two of them makes it virtually impossible and Nintendo really hasn't been able to compete for that market for a long time.

Even with the Wii, the increase came from the pre-smartphone casual gaming boom, not from taking away the types of people who like to play shooters, sports, driving, action adventure games, etc. from the PS/XBox audience, because the PS3/360 sold 170+ million combined, which is the same as the PS2-XBox more or less. So there was no decline to Sony or MS' audience even despite the Wii.

Nintendo is too associated with family gaming to compete with Sony/MS. And they can't disassociate from that because it's their main pillar ... Disney-style syrupy sweet mascot character games, which will always get Nintendo labelled as the "kids console" by comparison to Sony/MS who market/target almost exclusively teenagers and college-aged men. 

And on top of that it'll be 3-4 years late meaning it has really no chance of being anything but a (distant) third place console for the duration of the remaining generation before its thunder is stolen by the XB2/PS5. Third parties will treat it in the same way as the Wii U, where they make the PS4/XB1 multiplats a priority because of the sheer install base/proven buyer base, and some like Rockstar (GTA VI) probably won't even bother with the NX. 

I mean if they're going to really go balls to the wall with the Apple philosophy of having many different levels of hardware, then sure OK, maybe one of them can be a 1.2-2 TFLOP megaconsole with a HDD and all that then it doesn't matter so much if it doesn't do so great because it's just one of many hardware components. But if that isn't going to be the approach and the console is tasked with carrying half the water of the NX equation, that's going to be very, very difficult. 

Am I having high expectations by saying that I want the NX to be stronger than the XB1? I hope not.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

Am I having high expectations by saying that I want the NX to be stronger than the XB1? I hope not.

Always assume the worst spec-wise with Nintendo. There's less chance of dissapointment that way. 

Around the Network
AZWification said:

Only certain thing is that NX will be stronger than Wii U. :)

I've seen so many poor choices by Nintendo over recent years which has caused an erosion of their market share especially for home consoles. However I'm hopefully with AMD stating they are working on a home console for someone and the fact 2016 they are releasing some amazing chips which puts them in a much more competitive position against Intel that Nintendo has the chance to bring out an amazing console using this hardware.

Despite all the fanboy nonsense on this site the wii u clearly is weaker than 360 and PS3 in many important parts of its specification, we know that for a fact beyond question with regard the cpu and memory bandwidth and you only have to look at the games to confirm this. If you believe otherwise then make an argument around the exact specification not just stupid throwaway comments that are meaningless.

However I feel there is a chance Nintendo will produce an NX console of reasonable power. I think it will be easy for the NX to outperform xbone and ps4 for cpu performance. The rest I don't know its really based on how much Nintendo are willing to spend. Nintendo won't have to spend that much though to easily beat ps4 using the new AMD technology so I'm hopeful they will do it. The point is the technology allows them to go slightly past ps4 or past ps4 by a huge margin and I suspect Nintendo will go only slightly past at best but we shall see.

Of course there is the other direction where Nintendo use one of AMD's new arm based APU's and create something along the lines of an android box where they produce a lightweight home console. I see this as a disaster as the market is saturated and Nintendo won't be able to charge much for their software or hardware and for me this would lead to Nintendo leaving the hardware market shortly afterwards. Even the outgoing ps3 and 360 would be far better gaming options.

Scisca said:
I think Nintendo fans saying "I don't need power", "Nintendo games don't need power, cause they are cartoony" ignore the fact, that without quality 3rd party support, NX will bomb. 3rd party games are more important than 1st party games, period. If the console is weaker than PS4. people won't feel the need to get it, cause it's no upgrade over the "market standard". The Nintendo console will be yet again relegated to struggle in a fight to justify itself as a secondary console for exclusives only. Not the best place to be.

I'd be very happy with NX being my primary console this gen, but it has to be at least somewhat more powerful than the PS4. Taking advantage of 3 extra years and the advancement in technology, being powerful enough to play 3rd party games in 1080p/60fps with the same graphics would be the sweet spot that would sway many people away from PS4/Xbone. Obviously, the online service would have to be top notch with account system in the eShop and trophy/achievements, but how hard is that? Do that and the market is yours for the taking, Nintendo!

No, that would not sway anybody. The fanbase for major 3rd party games are already on PS4/XB1, simply releasing a console that gets ports of these consoles will not cause the fans of such games to move over even if slightly superior on Nintendo's console.

Will the 15+ million GTAV owners on PS4/XB1 switch over to NX for GTAVI? How about the 15+ million Black Ops 3 owners, will they switch to NX for next COD? How about the 10 million Destiny or Watch Dogs owners, will they choose NX for their sequels? Same goes for Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Witcher, Arkham, Mortal Kombat, Dragon Age, Dying Light, Battlefield, Metal Gear Solid, Madden, FIFA, Need for Speed, etc. The fanbase for all these games are already on PS4/XB1, with other major 3rd party franchises like Battlefront, Deus Ex, Fallout, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Doom and others getting installments on these devices before NX releases.

What incentive will the 80+ million people who bought PS4/XB1 from 2013-2016 have for upgrading to NX? What about people looking to buy a console in 2017-2019? Will they choose NX or the consoles with large established libraries and online communities where all their friends are playing? What happens 2-3 years later when Sony/Microsoft release vastly more powerful devices than NX?

Anyway u slice it, Nintendo is in a losing situation if they make a console with the objective of getting ports, it will be a Wii U situation all over again. 3rd parties might give decent support at first but once they realize that the audience isn't there, they will stop releasing games for it and the cycle continues.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Scisca said:
Xenostar said:
Nope doesnt need power, no one buys Nintendo for multiplat games, they buy them for Nintendo games, the graphics just dont matter, price is the most important thing, they need to be so affordable they can be everyones second console.

Yup, it does need power, cause right now no one buy Nintendo - period.

Aiming right of the bat to be an afterthought, used a couple times a year isn't the best strategy.

Disagree.

The reason no one is buying Nintendo right now Console wise. is because its around the same price as the competition but cant be a primary console (for most) becuase of the lack of third parties. If the Wii U was price similarly to the Wii, it would be doing alot better i feel. The cost of that pad is what holds the system back so much. For the right price im more than happy to buy Nintnedo just to play Nintendo game. 

If they release a $400 console thats more powerfull than ps4, that still only plays Nintendo games, then it will be another generation i pass there home console offering by. 

Nintendo make games with cartoony graphics they dont need high end power, unless they plan on winning all the 3rd parties back and good luck with that.

If you like Nintendo games, but want the power so that you can play PS4 games, why not just pay the extra amount and get a PS4 as well? If you don't want to play PS4 games, then why does Nintendo's hardware have to be just like PS4?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.