By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Scisca said:
Xenostar said:
Nope doesnt need power, no one buys Nintendo for multiplat games, they buy them for Nintendo games, the graphics just dont matter, price is the most important thing, they need to be so affordable they can be everyones second console.

Yup, it does need power, cause right now no one buy Nintendo - period.

Aiming right of the bat to be an afterthought, used a couple times a year isn't the best strategy.

Except for the 50+ million 3DS that have been sold thus far.......we need to stop thinking of handheld & console as being completely separate devices since Nintendo has made it painfully clear they plan to integrate them into a single ecosystem.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I don't expect anything major. What I would do would be something different but what I expect Nintendo to do is a 300 GFLOP-ish portable device that is something new and different. Perhaps it can also stream to the TV itself for people who don't really care that much about graphics. 

Then it will maybe have a higher end console version of that that's maybe 700 GFLOPS (2x+) or something for people who want slightly better graphics. Hardware split will be 4:1 in favor of the portable wunder-machine.  

Third party support will largely be current 3DS and Vita support mixed into one, with some PS4/XB1 ports, the less graphically heavy games that are possible. And it will run Android apps on a custom Nintendo OS, like Blackberry does. And Nintendo will take a small cut/fee for these Android games. 

Keep in mind most Nintendo teams have just only made 1 HD game using the Wii U thus far, Sony/MS had 6-7 years with the PS3/360, I don't think Nintendo is really all that interested in jumping up a full hardware leap from Wii U when they've just only started with HD development.

zorg1000 said:
Scisca said:

Yup, it does need power, cause right now no one buy Nintendo - period.

Aiming right of the bat to be an afterthought, used a couple times a year isn't the best strategy.

Except for the 50+ million 3DS that have been sold thus far.......we need to stop thinking of handheld & console as being completely separate devices since Nintendo has made it painfully clear they plan to integrate them into a single ecosystem.

Except that market is shrinking faster than the speed of sound and can no longer be viewed as a viable one long term. There is a reason why Sony has recently said there is no climate for a Vita 2. There is still a market for home consoles though and home consoles need to have some beef on 'em. With handheld market evaporating Nintendo cannot delegate itself into the role of a secondary option, lagging behind competition and begging for any sort of attention.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

DakonBlackblade said:
zorg1000 said:

Not really, if it's a type of unified ecosystem where all or most games are available on both the handheld and console than the console will have all the support of the handheld and vice versa. If u combine 3DS and Wii U 3rd party support, it's really not that bad. 3DS gets solid Japanese 3rd party, both get solid indie support that will likely continue to grow, and both also get solid support from child/family friendly western 3rd parties.

Nintendo+Japanese 3rd parties+indies+family western titles gives Nintendo a steady stream of new releases. Any AAA western support is just icing on the cake.

Youre thinking a videogame thats a fusion of 3DS and WiiU, not a new videogame that does WiiU and 3DS at the same time. Cause lets face it if Nint wants this to work, a game will be required to run both as a handheld version and as a console version, if they let devs just pick one it makes no sense. And if a game needs to be both a handheld game and a console game ppl will have to develop exclusively for the NX or make a game they had no plan of having a handheld version work as a handheld. Most likelly 3rd parties will just not care if this is how NX turns out to be imo.

Yep exactly, I think Nintendo will release a handheld that is around the power of Wii U and the console will be a slightly souped up version of that. Similar to the difference between GC to Wii or 3DS to New 3DS.

Another example could be something like the newest iPod Touch/Apple TV. They both have the same SoC, the Apple A8, but the CPU in the Apple TV is at a higher clock rate along with having more RAM. We could see something like that with NX Portable/NX Console where they can play all/most of the same games as one another with some slight differences like resolution.

Like I said, it would simply have the type of 3rd party support that 3DS+Wii U have, Japanese games+indies+family friendly western titles.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Scisca said:
zorg1000 said:

Except that market is shrinking faster than the speed of sound and can no longer be viewed as a viable one long term. There is a reason why Sony has recently said there is no climate for a Vita 2. There is still a market for home consoles though and home consoles need to have some beef on 'em. With handheld market evaporating Nintendo cannot delegate itself into the role of a secondary option, lagging behind competition and begging for any sort of attention.

It is widely accepted that Nintendo made many mistakes with 3DS that helped assist in the decline of dedicated gaming handhelds, it's not outside the realm of possibility that they can make a handheld that doesn't suffer from so many mistakes and adapts to the changing market allowing them to retain or even grow their userbase.

There is still certainly a market for a Nintendo handheld, 3DS will have sold 65 million or so when all is said and done with their 1st party software still selling great numbers, Nintendo would be retarded not to release another handheld.

Around the Network

I mean if you want to pay $500 for graphics alone, be your own guest.

I don't care about power tbh. I still get impressed by GameCube graphics lol.

illdill1987 said:

If the NX is indeed Nintendos next home console will you buy it if it is not substantially more powerful than the ps4?... I don't think I will I think I will be done with gaming.

Haha "Done with Gaming", maybe I am wrong in saying this - but don't let your biases get the better of you.  If playstation and Windows PC gaming went extinct I would switch to something else, possibly something better that replaced whatever disapeared.

But to answer your question:  "There is no such thing as a bad product, just a bad price."

Let's say the NX is in current gen territory and isn't much stronger than the PS4 (Or likely much weaker).  Then perhaps it should cost $150 and come with a ton of games.  I might get one in that case, and I haven't owned a Nintendo console close to launch since the N64.  (I owned a Gamecube but it cost me $50 a few years after it came out).

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Scisca said:
zorg1000 said:

Yep.  That's why Nintendo has quite the journey ahead of them.  They need to figure out how to make one console that caters to their entire fanbase (Mobile and console) while still not being pushed out of both markets.  Not an easy task...

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

StarOcean said:
I doubt it will beat the PS4 in performance, I think even wishing for it to beat the X1 is pushing it. Nintendo is just not interested in hardware power, unfortunately

why should nintendo make a new console if they stay below the power of the X1? yeah guys, this is our new console the NX, it 25% stronger than the wiiu. and its  new.

I don't care, as long as it's cheap.

A Wii U costs $349, and that's really pushing the limits of my wallet.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3