By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
generic-user-1 said:
StarOcean said:
I doubt it will beat the PS4 in performance, I think even wishing for it to beat the X1 is pushing it. Nintendo is just not interested in hardware power, unfortunately

why should nintendo make a new console if they stay below the power of the X1? yeah guys, this is our new console the NX, it 25% stronger than the wiiu. and its  new.

Think about it.
Nintendo could build a Quad-Core Carizzo+512 GCN units+8Gb Ram and release a console with 90% of the performance of the Xbox One, but at half the price, attractive prospect, no?
You could still potentially make it mobile also with a chip like that. - Provided they were aggressively binned for low volts, especially at 16nm Finfet which is 200% less power usage than 28nm.

Nintendo doesn't need to beat Sony or Microsoft in the performance stakes, they just need to be "Good enough" at the right price with the right features... If people truly cared about performance and graphics, there wouldn't be any console gamers.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Scisca said:

Except that market is shrinking faster than the speed of sound and can no longer be viewed as a viable one long term. There is a reason why Sony has recently said there is no climate for a Vita 2. There is still a market for home consoles though and home consoles need to have some beef on 'em. With handheld market evaporating Nintendo cannot delegate itself into the role of a secondary option, lagging behind competition and begging for any sort of attention.

It is widely accepted that Nintendo made many mistakes with 3DS that helped assist in the decline of dedicated gaming handhelds, it's not outside the realm of possibility that they can make a handheld that doesn't suffer from so many mistakes and adapts to the changing market allowing them to retain or even grow their userbase.

There is still certainly a market for a Nintendo handheld, 3DS will have sold 65 million or so when all is said and done with their 1st party software still selling great numbers, Nintendo would be retarded not to release another handheld.

Cool and all, but after all the 3DS mistakes, they made the Wii U...

And remember, 65 mil for 3DS comes after 150 mil for DS. Same story for PSP into Vita. That's how fast this market is dying. Sony is already out, if Nintendo released another regular handheld, it'd end up somewhere between Vita and 3DS, who knows if not closer to the Vita in sales. That's why they talk about this Fusion idea. That's why they made the partnership with DeNA. There is no saving mass market dedicated handhelds, they will be killed by smart devices any year now. It's a pity, cause I love handhelds and don't play games on my smartphone at all, but what can you do. This behemoth is too much, sadly. A tablet + Dual Shock is already the ultimate portable experience and it will remain this way. There is a huge market for Nintendo games, but not for dedicated portable hardware.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

generic-user-1 said:
StarOcean said:
I doubt it will beat the PS4 in performance, I think even wishing for it to beat the X1 is pushing it. Nintendo is just not interested in hardware power, unfortunately

why should nintendo make a new console if they stay below the power of the X1? yeah guys, this is our new console the NX, it 25% stronger than the wiiu. and its  new.

Like I asked someone earlier, why would Nintendo make a new console that was a tiny bit more powerful than Gamecube when the competitors were making consoles 20x more powerful? Back in 2005/2006 that sounded like an awful idea yet it ended up being hugely successful.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pemalite said:
generic-user-1 said:
StarOcean said:

Think about it.
Nintendo could build a Quad-Core Carizzo+512 GCN units+8Gb Ram and release a console with 90% of the performance of the Xbox One, but at half the price, attractive prospect, no?
You could still potentially make it mobile also with a chip like that. - Provided they were aggressively binned for low volts, especially at 16nm Finfet which is 200% less power usage than 28nm.

Nintendo doesn't need to beat Sony or Microsoft in the performance stakes, they just need to be "Good enough" at the right price with the right features... If people truly cared about performance and graphics, there wouldn't be any console gamers.

Xbone is "good enough" when compared to the PS4.

NX has to be exciting to set off. I can't see the market getting excited for a console inferior to 3 years old consoles, consoles that your friends already have and that already have respectable libraries. Yeah, don't forget that Nintendo has to overcome these two obstacles. They have to do it with something and a message "we're almost as good as the competition" isn't really getting anyone excited. Wii U already gave us this lesson - people won't buy a Nintendo console to play 3rd party games if they aren't better than on the consoles they already own. Neither will they buy a console just for Nintendo exclusives.

Nintendo needs to draw attention somehow. A handheld may work in Japan, but the West won't care one bit. Pick what would you rather people think of NX:

"The most powerful console on the market."

"Wii U on steroids... wait, what's a Wii U?"

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

zorg1000 said:
generic-user-1 said:
StarOcean said:

Like I asked someone earlier, why would Nintendo make a new console that was a tiny bit more powerful than Gamecube when the competitors were making consoles 20x more powerful? Back in 2005/2006 that sounded like an awful idea yet it ended up being hugely successful.

they had realy working motion controlls, something totaly cool and new. and those were different times, hd was not a issue and 480p normal.
nintendo needs power roughly between X1 and ps4 to make all games in real hd and with a good framerate, and alot more power than the ps4 for 3rd party games in 1080/60 

Around the Network
Scisca said:
zorg1000 said:

It is widely accepted that Nintendo made many mistakes with 3DS that helped assist in the decline of dedicated gaming handhelds, it's not outside the realm of possibility that they can make a handheld that doesn't suffer from so many mistakes and adapts to the changing market allowing them to retain or even grow their userbase.

There is still certainly a market for a Nintendo handheld, 3DS will have sold 65 million or so when all is said and done with their 1st party software still selling great numbers, Nintendo would be retarded not to release another handheld.

And remember, 65 mil for 3DS comes after 150 mil for DS. Same story for PSP into Vita. That's how fast this market is dying. Sony is already out, if Nintendo released another regular handheld, it'd end up somewhere between Vita and 3DS, who knows if not closer to the Vita in sales. That's why they talk about this Fusion idea. That's why they made the partnership with DeNA. There is no saving mass market dedicated handhelds, they will be killed by smart devices any year now. It's a pity, cause I love handhelds and don't play games on my smartphone at all, but what can you do. This behemoth is too much, sadly. A tablet + Dual Shock is already the ultimate portable experience and it will remain this way. There is a huge market for Nintendo games, but not for dedicated portable hardware.

Wii U was already far, far into development when 3DS released, actually being formally revealed about 3 months later so it's not like they could just scrap Wii U at that point and start over.

Yep and the 230+ million for DS/PSP came after the ~80 million for GBA/competitors which came after the ~80 million for GBC/competitors which came after the ~80 million for GB/competitors so maybe, just maybe the DS/PSP generation was an anomaly and this regression is the mobile market causing the handheld market to return to its previous baseline. Of course it's possible the decline will continue but I'm not going to blindly jump on the "handhelds are dying!!!!" bandwagon that so many others are.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Scisca said:

Wii U was already far, far into development when 3DS released, actually being formally revealed about 3 months later so it's not like they could just scrap Wii U at that point and start over.

Yep and the 230+ million for DS/PSP came after the ~80 million for GBA/competitors which came after the ~80 million for GBC/competitors which came after the ~80 million for GB/competitors so maybe, just maybe the DS/PSP generation was an anomaly and this regression is the mobile market causing the handheld market to return to its previous baseline. Of course it's possible the decline will continue but I'm not going to blindly jump on the "handhelds are dying!!!!" bandwagon that so many others are.

We'll see what they've learned. Zelda U being an NX launch title is a good sign.

That's your choice. I'm just gonna add that PSP was the best portable media device of its time - no handheld will ever come close to being that again. Remember about the constantly growing budgets and development time. The market is changing and this one is dying - whether you accept it or not. Handhelds either need to evolve big time, or fade away.

generic-user-1 said:
zorg1000 said:
generic-user-1 said:
StarOcean said:

they had realy working motion controlls, something totaly cool and new. and those were different times, hd was not a issue and 480p normal.
nintendo needs power roughly between X1 and ps4 to make all games in real hd and with a good framerate, and alot more power than the ps4 for 3rd party games in 1080/60 

That's completely pointless tho, the audience for these games will already be on XB1/PS4 with their combined install base of something like 80 million by the end of 2016.

Will the people who bought these consoles in 2013-2016 to play games like COD/GTA/Ass Creed/Madden/FIFA/Fallout/Watch Dogs/Destiny/etc switch over to NX because it now gets ports that are comparable to the others? That would be a huge no.

Are prospective buyers from 2017-2019 going to choose NX over XB1/PS4 when those consoles already have 100s of games that have strong online communities and are where all their friends are playing?

What happens 2-3 years later when Microsoft/Sony release new consoles that blow NX out of the water in terms of power?

Basically what ur asking for is Nintendo to release another Wii U, a device that tries and fails to attract the audience that plays the big mainstream western titles like Shooters/Sports/Racing/Open-World games. What incentive will people have for making the switch to Nintendo? There is none and they will remain of PS/XB/PC to play such games.

Scisca said:

Handhelds either need to evolve big time, or fade away.

Obviously, never did I say or imply that Nintendo can release a turd and expect 50+ million sales, I've been saying for a long time that they need to adapt and not make a bunch of mistakes in the process.

Better launch price, better launch lineup, better post-launch release schedule, less confusing marketing, more online/social/multimedia features, better account system, more affordable software, no strange design choices, etc are some ways Nintendo can make their devices more attractive to consumers. Many statements from Iwata and company along with recent actions show that they are dedicated to evolving and not simply laying down and letting their consumer base die.

Whether or not they succeed remains to be seen but it's still a bit early to say handhelds are dead/dying, we have only seen one single generation worth of decline and the DS/PSP generation was 3x the size of any previous generation so it's kinda hard to determine if it's a trend or a single isolated incident.

It would be pretty easy for Nintendo to release the NX with slightly better specs than the PS4 and make a profit on it. The NX, if released in 2016 will be 3 years newer than the PS4 and the cost to make a console with equal or a little more power than that console in 2013 would not be difficult for Nintendo.

Nintendo has a lot to prove, I think they will come out swinging honestly. This idea that Nintendo is weak or could never be #1 again is pretty funny, they have billions and billions of dollars in the bank (cash on hand) with no debt and two separte stocks, one in Japan and one in the United States with both having a market cap net worth of over 21 billion dollars each.

The fact that Square-Enix is already wanting to port the Unreal Engine 4 based Dragon Quest XI to the NX, not to mention Final Fantasy XIV to the console is pretty telling already that the system is capable of good things graphically. Besides the graphics though, I am even more interested in the forward thinking modern video game gameplay designs Nintendo is going to come up with for the new NX controller with the possible rotating mouse wheels as shoulder buttons.

I would say Nintendo is in a very good posistion to make a come back with this console/handeld combo next year.