By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video games ARE sexist, claims Uncharted 4 star Nolan 'Nathan Drake' North

Do you think videogames are sexist?

Yes 17 8.81%

Yes and thank god for that! 22 11.40%

No 45 23.32%

Some of them 39 20.21%

Everything is sexist nowadays 70 36.27%

Total:193

He has a point, video games are sexist against males, they are marketed like young males are all retarded idiots that like big muscles and boobs.
is main role, nathan drake is all that, a not realy clever male power fantasy.
there is nothing clever about having a more stupid indiana jones with less charisma and less uberhot nazi women affairs.

Around the Network

I like my games sexist simply because it's funny in most cases. Imagine a non sexist God of war, bayonetta, wolfenstein, Gears of War and no more princess saving.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

AbbathTheGrim said:

- But he thinks that videogames will get better with time as he said:

"Gamers used to be kids, stoned in the basement with their earbuds in, jamming out to rock music and playing video games,"

What does he mean used to be?!?  I don't remember many stoner kids with earbuds back in the 80s and early 90s playing videogames... in fact I don't remember kids with earbuds back then at all.  That's the millenial generation's thing.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

generic-user-1 said:
He has a point, video games are sexist against males, they are marketed like young males are all retarded idiots that like big muscles and boobs.
is main role, nathan drake is all that, a not realy clever male power fantasy.
there is nothing clever about having a more stupid indiana jones with less charisma and less uberhot nazi women affairs.

Pretty much this.  I enjoy a good story, I always have.  I've always watched cutscenes, I've always followed story lines.  The cognitive dissonance he exhibits in his statements, are truly astounding.  Men are all unrealistically portrayed, right along with women...but they're sexist against women?  Nobody else is picking up on this?  

Here's the thing, as with books, movies, music and other forms of media, there's a desire for realism, a desire for more grounded characters, and a desire for story.  There's ALSO a desire for fantasy, to be a hero (or heroine), to engage in an unrepentant bloodbath the likes of which you'll only see in 80's action flicks, and everything in between.  Nobody's saying you can't create any game you want (except those who want to wail and scream everytime GTA launches).  All people are saying is, let developers/writers develop games.  Let the people decide what they want.  Period.  And anyone who wants to try and step in the way of that freedom of expression, deserves to be ground under the proverbial bootheel, and forgotten as a footnote in history.

Danman27 said:
I mean, yeah, a lot are. Women in video games are never shown wearing armor comparable to their male counterparts. They are almost always wearing less. Other than that, I wouldn't say most games are overtly sexist, but it's definitely still there.

And you like it that way don't deny it, or would you rather play with a chubby Tomb Raider or a thin Marcus fenix or imagine God of war have less female formed women with kratos who skipped the gym as much as me. It would look dumb since sexism is part of games and bare naked women and overly muscled man belong in that picture.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Can we just not generalize an entire market? You can say some piece or some individual product is sexist, it's your opinion. But an entire form of media? That's really dumb.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Dude's got a point. Things are changing for the better for many of us (while for the worse for others). Thankfully there are plenty of games with terrible plot, full of fanservice for people who are into that as well as good storylines for people who care more about that.

I'm starting to get really tired of the word sexism

Whatever. I'm sick of this society being as PC as it is and always pushing some stupid fucking agenda.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

(facepalm) here we go again.