By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video games ARE sexist, claims Uncharted 4 star Nolan 'Nathan Drake' North

Do you think videogames are sexist?

Yes 17 8.81%

Yes and thank god for that! 22 11.40%

No 45 23.32%

Some of them 39 20.21%

Everything is sexist nowadays 70 36.27%

Total:193
Angelus said:
I'm starting to get really tired of the word sexism

OI! That's sexist, get on your knees and bow to femenists, now! You lowly male you! jk

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Angelus said:

OI! That's sexist, get on your knees and bow to femenists, now! You lowly male you! jk

Ya, Slade would love that lol

NobleTeam360 said:
Angelus said:

You forgot to tell him to check his privilege XD

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

It's seriously fascinating to see how many people are instantly offended when somebody points out that the visual design philosophies in a lot of games over time and even up to today have been driven by overly sexualizing a lot of characters (yes, both genders). Just look to Japan and try to deny that trend.

Did he lie?

Some of you guys are just at constant battle with a word. Let it go. Try comprehending the persons statement and actually responding to that as opposed to "blah, blah blah...SJW" because you read the word "sexist", "sexism" etc

God forbid the industry evolves and more commonly incorporates taste other then your own. I really don't know anyone who prefers the Lara of old over the newer more grounded Lara. Equally I know a lot of gamers who want to see more then just hyper masculin males and oversexualised women. No one is saying you can't have those characters and type of games but having a diverse, interesting palette as far as human characters go is obviously ideal considering the amount gamers out there and the fact that most are over the age of 20 -_-

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
generic-user-1 said:
He has a point, video games are sexist against males, they are marketed like young males are all retarded idiots that like big muscles and boobs.
is main role, nathan drake is all that, a not realy clever male power fantasy.
there is nothing clever about having a more stupid indiana jones with less charisma and less uberhot nazi women affairs.

Pretty much this.  I enjoy a good story, I always have.  I've always watched cutscenes, I've always followed story lines.  The cognitive dissonance he exhibits in his statements, are truly astounding.  Men are all unrealistically portrayed, right along with women...but they're sexist against women?  Nobody else is picking up on this?  

Here's the thing, as with books, movies, music and other forms of media, there's a desire for realism, a desire for more grounded characters, and a desire for story.  There's ALSO a desire for fantasy, to be a hero (or heroine), to engage in an unrepentant bloodbath the likes of which you'll only see in 80's action flicks, and everything in between.  Nobody's saying you can't create any game you want (except those who want to wail and scream everytime GTA launches).  All people are saying is, let developers/writers develop games.  Let the people decide what they want.  Period.  And anyone who wants to try and step in the way of that freedom of expression, deserves to be ground under the proverbial bootheel, and forgotten as a footnote in history.

you cant make 80s style action movies anymore, they are just to bloddy for the cinema nowadays, people would go batshit crazy over the violence in robcop.

DerNebel said:
It's seriously fascinating to see how many people are instantly offended when somebody points out that the visual design philosophies in a lot of games over time and even up to today have been driven by overly sexualizing a lot of characters (yes, both genders). Just look to Japan and try to deny that trend.

Part of the problem is the disconnect between the message we're being bombarded with, and the bolded.  The message is in no way equal, even though we know for a fact there's just as much unrealistic representation of men in games (or more), and more objectification of men (as objects to be slaughtered + gazed at) in games.  Likewise, we also know men suffer harassment more, online, than women.  However, because slightly more women experience sexual harassment, that's all anyone has focused on.  See the disconnect here?  It's identity politics be pushed as some kind of social agenda.  It does nothing but harm their own movement as their own demonization of the industry leads to less women wanting to actually enter into an industry they're being told by everyone that it's a hostile, mysoginistic, and woman hating environment.

Yeah, I look at Japan, and I also notice Japan has one of the lowest sexual crime rates in the world, even though they have some really really far out there content.  Figure that one out.  Deny that.  Tell me there's a connection between it.  Go for it.  I'm listening.  That's the problem.  This thing is being asserted, and yet your own evidence, is countered by the real world statistics.  Is it not?

Nobody is saying we don't want more games with better stories, and more realistic characters.  For me, as I cannot speak for everyone, I want as much variety as possible.  I choose what games I want to play, I don't just buy every game and then bitch piss and moan about omg, this game didn't cater to my tastes.  What the fuck?  Not every game will cater to every individual.  We do not place this requirement on books, music, comics, or movies.  And we certainly, will not be allowing it, to be placed on games.  If a developer, director, musical artist, author, etc... want to take their project in a certain direction, that's their project.  If people think they can do it better, stop bitching, enter the fucking industry, and make the fucking thing.  Stop putting the onus on other people.

generic-user-1 said:
mornelithe said:

Pretty much this.  I enjoy a good story, I always have.  I've always watched cutscenes, I've always followed story lines.  The cognitive dissonance he exhibits in his statements, are truly astounding.  Men are all unrealistically portrayed, right along with women...but they're sexist against women?  Nobody else is picking up on this?  

Here's the thing, as with books, movies, music and other forms of media, there's a desire for realism, a desire for more grounded characters, and a desire for story.  There's ALSO a desire for fantasy, to be a hero (or heroine), to engage in an unrepentant bloodbath the likes of which you'll only see in 80's action flicks, and everything in between.  Nobody's saying you can't create any game you want (except those who want to wail and scream everytime GTA launches).  All people are saying is, let developers/writers develop games.  Let the people decide what they want.  Period.  And anyone who wants to try and step in the way of that freedom of expression, deserves to be ground under the proverbial bootheel, and forgotten as a footnote in history.

you cant make 80s style action movies anymore, they are just to bloddy for the cinema nowadays, people would go batshit crazy over the violence in robcop.

Sure you can, Stallone did it.  Like it or not, the new Rambo was actually pretty warmly received and there's certainly some evidence to suggest that one of Stallone's lines in the movie became a rallying cry for some in Myanmar, to effect change.  Like them or not, the Expendables movies entertained some.  Did they set the charts on fire?  No.  But, that's Stallone and the studios problem.  He wanted to make them, and he did.  The system works.

mornelithe said:
generic-user-1 said:
mornelithe said:

Sure you can, Stallone did it.  Like it or not, the new Rambo was actually pretty warmly received and there's certainly some evidence to suggest that one of Stallone's lines in the movie became a rallying cry for some in Myanmar, to effect change.  Like them or not, the Expendables movies entertained some.  Did they set the charts on fire?  No.  But, that's Stallone and the studios problem.  He wanted to make them, and he did.  The system works.

the new rambo was good, but he had alot less direct violence than the others. (the violence is used  way better, its more like a real war movie in alot of parts and not like a 80s action movie, and i like it) and the expendables were modern action movies.

do you realy think they could get away with something like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9l9wxGFl4k

today?

Video games are racist. Why do 99.9% of everyone in video games look like whitey?

Everything is sexist nowdays, just like everything is racist.  Watch a movie or tv show, read a book, etc.  You're going to see racism and sexism on a daily basis.  Deal with it.