By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon?

ratchet426 said:

Number one reason:  no time-outs/regular stoppage of play to allow for TV commercials.

No joke.

Every other popular American sport has built-in breaks during regular gameplay so the networks can sell tons of advertising time. Soccer rarely stops (ex. injury on the field -oops pitch, I meant "pitch" ) so no breaks = no advertising $$$$

I don't think low-scoring is that big of an issue. Hockey has some low-scoring games too, and that's still pretty popular in the US (again, lots of commercial breaks)

There is a ton of interest/atcivity at the youth sports level in the US (we even coined the term "Soccer Mom") but it just doesn't have the pro-level audience of the big 4 (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey)

I agree. I do not know why people challenged me so much when I stated this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Lol at soccer scoring as much has the National Hockey League.

"For the fourth straight year, the NHL saw a decline in goal scoring in 2013 with an average of 5.44 goals per game. The league hasn't quite dropped down to the level that it was in the late 1990s and early 2000s, a period in league history that is infamously referred to as "the dead puck era."Apr 29, 2010"

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/22167901/goal-scoring-declines-in-the-nhl-again

Premier league

This has remained remarkably consistent despite the evolution of football tactics over the past 22 years. The lowest average was 2.45 goals per game in 2006/7, and the highest came in 2011/12, when the average was 2.81. However, for the past five seasons the figure has stayed above 2.75. As we’ve seen, this doesn’t necessarily mean that most games will see a hatful of goals, but rather that high-scori

Abun said:
gamingpotato7 said:
KBG29 said:
For me it is the massive lack of entertainment. Whether it was playing it in school, or wtching it on TV, it is just the most boring sport in every aspect. I watch almost every sport out their, pool, bowling, cards, racing, Rugby, Austrailian Football, Golf, Tennis, Swimming, Wrestling, UFC, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, US Football, , etc. including the womens league of many of them, and I enjoy all of them. However, I just can not get Soccer, I try about 3 or 4 times a year, I sit down and watch a whole soccer game, and I just don't see what makes it click.

You are clearly biased towards it. If you don't get it, you don't get it. It is one of the most skillful sports out there, unlike many of the ones you said. Each time a ball enters the goal it is an explosion of enthusiasm and a meaningful one at that since scoring goals is so rare. When a team scores many goals, people don't celebrate so much because they understand the value of a single goal in a 90 minutes match. It is the most popular sport in the world, not because people are poor so they can only play that. It is popular because it is extremely fun to play and a hugely passion driven game. Try to understand it better, and maybe it can be more fun than watching cards or bowling.

For me personally I don't see how positions differ in Soccer except for the goalie.In football each position is different and key to success with plays that actually have to be set in order to score.It is the same for Basket Ball as not all players have the same skill set and the scoring is higher because it is a fast temo sport with a shorter distance to the hoop and you control the ball with your hands.The excitement is huge when a player hits a big time shot or the game is close as is with football.Fans also cheer for great defense in both sports.There is nothing like play off basket ball and football either as far as big games.

If a player is expelled in Soccer, the team crumbles most of the times. Even one position with a not so good player, the other team can exploit that position, like having a fast winger and a slow right back it can lead to fast plays from the wing and crosses for the forwards to finish. A great center midfield in a team can lead to solid play and control in the midfield and just disable the other team from doing anything significative. And did you ever hear about the greatest soccer club competition in the World, the European Champions League? It has the best teams from Europe and its final's audience surpasses the Super Bowl. And the World Cup simply obliterates any other sporting event. The thing I was talking about was that if people don't understand a sport, it does not mean others are better or bigger. Football and Basketball are great, for those who like it, and they are also huge and they are complex sports. But just like Soccer.

Eddie_Raja said:

P.S. I am bored by all sports, but Soccer and baseball really take the cake for me in that department.

You should watch some Athletics, the way it's done coverage switches between events so you never get bored plus the 4xRelays are great.

Hmm, pie.

Abun said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Abun said:
gamingpotato7 said:

You are clearly biased towards it. If you don't get it, you don't get it. It is one of the most skillful sports out there, unlike many of the ones you said. Each time a ball enters the goal it is an explosion of enthusiasm and a meaningful one at that since scoring goals is so rare. When a team scores many goals, people don't celebrate so much because they understand the value of a single goal in a 90 minutes match. It is the most popular sport in the world, not because people are poor so they can only play that. It is popular because it is extremely fun to play and a hugely passion driven game. Try to understand it better, and maybe it can be more fun than watching cards or bowling.

For me personally I don't see how positions differ in Soccer except for the goalie.In football each position is different and key to success with plays that actually have to be set in order to score.It is the same for Basket Ball as not all players have the same skill set and the scoring is higher because it is a fast temo sport with a shorter distance to the hoop and you control the ball with your hands.The excitement is huge when a player hits a big time shot or the game is close as is with football.Fans also cheer for great defense in both sports.There is nothing like play off basket ball and football either as far as big games.

Isn't that kind of a good thing though? There are clearly defined positions, but some systems allow much more freedom than others allowing players to roam around and take part in multiple phases of play. Players aren't locked in to doing just one job, they can do a whole lot more than that in both attack and defence and players changing positions is a commonly used tactic.

Plus it means any player on the pitch can be the one scoring the goals, teams don't have to be reliant on one player to score for them since anyone can do it, even goalies on occasion.

Having specific positions helps the 3 sports.A player is usally better at one thing than trying to do all things.In basket ball you get a rare player like JeBron James who is good overrall so he gets more freedom and decides where the ball goes.Some players are limited due to their weiht or height.Football uses different body types,which only certain players can succeed at.Football is like chess with the QB being the queen and everyone else protecting the QB.Everyone can score in basket ball theretically,but not all players are good at scoring or good shooters.In football only eligble recievers can score including the QB and the defense can get a turn over and score.It works well for strategy and allows for players with different skill sets to contribute.

The different positions exist for soccer, they only aren't set by the rules. At least you have players specialized in defense, middle field (important thing to create good situations) and attack. But in detail you have in modern professional soccer even more specialization in detail. There are even players that work mostly on the right or left side of the field. That the rules don't fix positions isn't meaning they aren't existant. You have to watch TV-broadcasts about soccer here, before the play starts there is a lot of discussion about the current positioning of the players. And again at half-time. But trainers have the freedom to choose their positional system, it gets names like 4-4-2. Look at this graph:

As you can see each position is named differently. That is one possible tactics to set positions. But trainers can decide a different tactics here. So there is even more freedom to change the tactics based on specific attributes of the players.

But be assured, a trainer who says all 10 field-players have the same assignment will fail in professional soccer.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Mnementh said:
outlawauron said:
Mnementh said:

What else should you use, it's the official organization for the sport. The ranking is based on results in international games and everyone can recalculate it himself if he wants to. What do you base your ranking on, coinflip?

Using those rankings as a basis of fact is absolutely crazy to anyone who actually watches the games. The system is rigged to benefit certain countries and doesn't properly affect current form, head to head results, or predicted outcomes if the teams play (you know, the real reason you rank teams).

Rigged? Inhowfar? To benefit which countries?

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/procedure/men.html

It makes it very difficult for teams in Europe to drop to appropriate places, while teams in Asia have very difficult times moving up the rankings. Japan and South Korea being outside the top 50 is a joke.

No explanation at all why Mexico is better ranked than the US.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
Abun said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Abun said:
gamingpotato7 said:

Isn't that kind of a good thing though? There are clearly defined positions, but some systems allow much more freedom than others allowing players to roam around and take part in multiple phases of play. Players aren't locked in to doing just one job, they can do a whole lot more than that in both attack and defence and players changing positions is a commonly used tactic.

Plus it means any player on the pitch can be the one scoring the goals, teams don't have to be reliant on one player to score for them since anyone can do it, even goalies on occasion.

Having specific positions helps the 3 sports.A player is usally better at one thing than trying to do all things.In basket ball you get a rare player like JeBron James who is good overrall so he gets more freedom and decides where the ball goes.Some players are limited due to their weiht or height.Football uses different body types,which only certain players can succeed at.Football is like chess with the QB being the queen and everyone else protecting the QB.Everyone can score in basket ball theretically,but not all players are good at scoring or good shooters.In football only eligble recievers can score including the QB and the defense can get a turn over and score.It works well for strategy and allows for players with different skill sets to contribute.

The different positions exist for soccer, they only aren't set by the rules. At least you have players specialized in defense, middle field (important thing to create good situations) and attack. But in detail you have in modern professional soccer even more specialization in detail. There are even players that work mostly on the right or left side of the field. That the rules don't fix positions isn't meaning they aren't existant. You have to watch TV-broadcasts about soccer here, before the play starts there is a lot of discussion about the current positioning of the players. And again at half-time. But trainers have the freedom to choose their positional system, it gets names like 4-4-2. Look at this graph:

As you can see each position is named differently. That is one possible tactics to set positions. But trainers can decide a different tactics here. So there is even more freedom to change the tactics based on specific attributes of the players.

But be assured, a trainer who says all 10 field-players have the same assignment will fail in professional soccer.

Interesting. I played as a child/adolescent in the US and all the teams had 1 Goalie, 2 Fullbacks (about where the Innen-verteidigers are), 3 half-backs (about where the Zentral Defensiver Mittelfeldspieler is but spread across the field) and 5 Forwards that almost exclusively stayed on the opposing side of the field.

Did that used to be a popular way to position or was it just a quirk of the youth league I played in?

ohmylanta1003 said:
Psychotic said:

Historically, the United States were always very nationalist, they resist conforming to what others do unless completely necessary, even if the way the rest of the world does things is demonstrably superior.

It is understandable that they would keep to their national sports instead of the world-wide ones.

However, it's changing now. The Latino population in the USA rises, soccer is the 2nd most popular sport for people under 24 and the MLS is getting better and better. i believe that in 20 years, soccer will be the 3rd most popular American sport behind baseball and gridiron.

Not a chance that it will pass basketball anytime soon. It will have a difficult time even passing the popularity of sports like hockey, tennis, and golf. The best case scenario is that it might be the 4th largest sport in 20 years.

I didn't read all the pages in this thread, so maybe someone already mentioned it, but: If you talk about the US and not the US + Canada soccer may already have reached or passed hockey according to various metrics:

1. Studies asking people about their favorite sports. Afair about 4-6% say that hockey is their favorite sport, while about 3-6% say it's (men's) soccer. The numbers for the latter depend on whether women's and men's soccer are grouped together and whether it's a World Cup year or not. The number of people saying they like/watch the sport is also very similar (I think about ~60% for both, but I really don't remember). But there's one similar metric where soccer is still far behind. About ~10% say that they are avid fans of soccer - meaning that they really follow the sport but it may still not be their favorite sport - and I think that number is about twice as high for hockey.

2. TV revenues: According to Wikipedia the TV revenue for the NHL in the US is around 200 million dollars per year (in the US+Canada it's 600 million dollars). For soccer we have to add the revenues of various leagues and events to get an accurate number, while that's not really important for hockey: The English Premier League TV revenues in the US are estimated to be ~100 million dollar per year. The MLS rights are ~90 million per year (the package also includes the rights to air some USMNT games). The TV rights for the next 2 men's World Cups are estimated to have sold for ~425 million dollars, making it ~50 million per year. I don't know how much revenue the women's World Cup and Mexican Liga MX TV rights add to this, but it's probably somewhere in the lower 8 digit numbers. So in total we are looking at national TV revenues of ~200 million dollars for hockey and about ~250 million dollars for soccer.

3. Attendance: The average attendance at MLS games this season currently stands at ~21.500, while the number is at only ~17.500 for the NHL. But of course NHL stadia are way more limited by their size. And due to the larger number of teams and games per team the total attendance in the NHL is way higher than the one of the MLS: About 22 million vs about 7.5 million. The difference gets smaller when you exclude the Canadian teams in both leagues, but is still very noticeable. Also a lot of US based soccer fans actually follow the English Premier League or the Mexican Liga MX and do not actually attend any games in person. The TV ratings for the EPL are about twice as high as the ones for MLS, and the Liga MX is also slighlty ahead afaik. This last point brings me to:

4. TV ratings: It's getting late here and I have to go to bed so I won't double check the numbers. But afaik the average NHL game is watched by ~350.000 on national TV. EPL draws ~400.000, MLS about ~200.000 and Liga MX somewhere in between. The NHL playoff ratings are way higher but so are the World Cup ratings. Both should cancel out somewhat.

Note: Sorry for me bad English. As I mentioned it's getting late and while I have no problem reading English writing it is way harder for me. That's why I usually don't post much in English language forums. Oh, and I have no idea how popular tennis and golf are. The same goes for NASCAR, which should also be popular in the US. It's just difficult to compare team sports to other sports.

psychicscubadiver said:

Interesting. I played as a child/adolescent in the US and all the teams had 1 Goalie, 2 Fullbacks (about where the Innen-verteidigers are), 3 half-backs (about where the Zentral Defensiver Mittelfeldspieler is but spread across the field) and 5 Forwards that almost exclusively stayed on the opposing side of the field.

Did that used to be a popular way to position or was it just a quirk of the youth league I played in?

As Ka-Pi already said five attackers seems quite unusual these days in professional soccer. But it seems in the past that was more common.

If you look at the positions for the players for the final game of the world championship 1954, you see a lot more players in frontal positions than is usual today:

As a comparison, the positions for the finals of the 2010 championship, where each team only has one direct front player and both teams concentrate on the midfield-players:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/NED-ESP_2010-07-11.svg