By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon?

The biggest sports there are basketball, American football and baseball. None of them are exceptionally big anywhere with some few exceptions, like baseball in Japan. Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon? They're like and island, I never heard of a worldwide competition of any of those sports.

Around the Network

Take your pic

1. Timeclock confusion

2. Lack of scoring

3. We as americans historically dont win alot of titles

4. Most importantly we already have way to many sports to follow and keep up with already like football, basketball, baseball, etc...

Because it's a poor man's sport. Among other reasons.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Because it's hard to score. You can be great or you can be terrible and still never score a goal!

Because there is no half-time multiball.

Around the Network

Because our actual National Soccer team is terrible. Well our Men's National team is terrible, our Women's National team is amazing.

invetedlotus123 said:

The biggest sports there are basketball, American football and baseball. None of them are exceptionally big anywhere with some few exceptions, like baseball in Japan. Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon? They're like and island, I never heard of a worldwide competition of any of those sports.

Historically, the United States were always very nationalist, they resist conforming to what others do unless completely necessary, even if the way the rest of the world does things is demonstrably superior.

It is understandable that they would keep to their national sports instead of the world-wide ones.

However, it's changing now. The Latino population in the USA rises, soccer is the 2nd most popular sport for people under 24 and the MLS is getting better and better. i believe that in 20 years, soccer will be the 3rd most popular American sport behind baseball and gridiron.

I played it from five years old through high school (among other sports) and enjoyed it, but I rarely met anyone who had aspirations to do anything professional with that, unlike other sports.

I'm really not sure why it didn't catch on as a spectator sport. Baseball has really old roots and was our first team sports league that resembles the modern leagues of today, so that had everyone's attention early. Otherwise, we really liked Rugby and Lacrosse early on, and American football seems to resemble those more than soccer (early American football was very much like rugby).

From there we received Basketball that caught on overnight which, along with hockey, became big as it cold be played in cold climates. The infrastructure, from college teams and professional leagues, definitely helped as equipment was always available, as was cheap equipment mass produced and affordable for children. Many of these sports would otherwise be difficult to play and organize.

I guess, then, it got lost in the noise, what with baseball, American football, hockey, basketball, and even now-less-popular sports like Lacrosse and Rugby.

Still, the idea that soccer is simply a game for children has definitely begun to dissipate here, and there's a growing interest in the sport. The main problem it seems to face now is that, while we enjoy watching our national team, the professional league has not been nearly so successful as gaining the support and attention of your average Americans as many of the others do... I know more people here in jacksonville that support our Arena football team than do our actual football team.

Athletes are beginning to consider that sport more than in the past though, and that Title IX has lead to a very large and talented women's community, but the entry barrier is certainly lower among women. The U.S. men are no longer complete pushovers, though, so I think things might be changing.

I remember a saying that USA even wanted to host world cup so it could increase the popularity of soccer over there. Well, it may actually work , but I don't know how it could function since USA is just enormous and world cup takes place in many cities, not just one like Olympics and pan American.

John120219 said:
Because our actual National Soccer team is terrible. Well our Men's National team is terrible, our Women's National team is amazing.

The men's team is the best in the CONCACAF. How is that a terrible team? 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.