By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon?

John120219 said:
Because our actual National Soccer team is terrible. Well our Men's National team is terrible, our Women's National team is amazing.

That seems unfair, they've made it out of two very difficult first rounds in both of the last world cups. They're not top tier, but they're certainly not terrible.

Around the Network
Psychotic said:
invetedlotus123 said:

The biggest sports there are basketball, American football and baseball. None of them are exceptionally big anywhere with some few exceptions, like baseball in Japan. Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon? They're like and island, I never heard of a worldwide competition of any of those sports.

Historically, the United States were always very nationalist, they resist conforming to what others do unless completely necessary, even if the way the rest of the world does things is demonstrably superior.

It is understandable that they would keep to their national sports instead of the world-wide ones.

However, it's changing now. The Latino population in the USA rises, soccer is the 2nd most popular sport for people under 24 and the MLS is getting better and better. i believe that in 20 years, soccer will be the 3rd most popular American sport behind baseball and gridiron.

Not a chance that it will pass basketball anytime soon. It will have a difficult time even passing the popularity of sports like hockey, tennis, and golf. The best case scenario is that it might be the 4th largest sport in 20 years.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

invetedlotus123 said:

The biggest sports there are basketball, American football and baseball. None of them are exceptionally big anywhere with some few exceptions, like baseball in Japan. Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon? They're like and island, I never heard of a worldwide competition of any of those sports.

Because soccer sucks. There's almost no scoring hence at times I like calling it f0-0tball.

invetedlotus123 said:
I remember a saying that USA even wanted to host world cup so it could increase the popularity of soccer over there. Well, it may actually work , but I don't know how it could function since USA is just enormous and world cup takes place in many cities, not just one like Olympics and pan American.

That world cup actually did a marvelous job of getting americans interested in football. Really, I think you can mark the beginning of true interest in the sport outside of children's and collegiate soccer with that World Cup, as popularity spiked and has not since gone down. Meanwhile, the first truly competent US men's teams began taking shape as the children of 1994 reached adulthood. I've seen and read many cite that world cup in the same manner many Europeans cite the 1992 Dream Team as fostering their interest in basketball.

I've no doubt hosting it again would further boost the sport's popularity, and I have even less doubt that we're better equipped to host it than Quatar.

Metallox said:
John120219 said:
Because our actual National Soccer team is terrible. Well our Men's National team is terrible, our Women's National team is amazing.

The men's team is the best in the CONCACAF. How is that a terrible team? 

You're right, I over-exaggerated a bit, terrible isn't the way to describe them. They're pretty good, but not the best in the world. 

Around the Network

Because soccer is the main sport of the british colonial power that colonized anerica and the americans fought against them for freedom and autonomie

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Metallox said:
John120219 said:

The men's team is the best in the CONCACAF. How is that a terrible team? 

Compared to European and South American countries it is not all that great. Like the best European guy isn't all that special at a Marathon or at Tabletennis for that

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

asqarkabab said:
Because soccer is the main sport of the british colonial power that colonized anerica and the americans fought against them for freedom and autonomie

Teaming up for a few minor skirmishes seems to have helped, but what clearly mended the fences was the Beatles and Monty Python/Black Adder/Doctor Who :D

ohmylanta1003 said:

Not a chance that it will pass basketball anytime soon. It will have a difficult time even passing the popularity of sports like hockey, tennis, and golf. The best case scenario is that it might be the 4th largest sport in 20 years.

A pessimist, eh?

Times change fast.

KLAMarine said:
invetedlotus123 said:

Because soccer sucks. There's almost no scoring hence at times I like calling it f0-0tball.

Lets not head down that road man... Nothing is so guaranteed to lead to endless, pointless squabbling as debating which sport is "better". They're all different, and that's why it's great that there's so many of them.