By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon?

It wasn't invented in America.

Around the Network

Because everyone complains about our football not being used with our feet.

Ka-pi96 said:
Metallox said:
John120219 said:
Because our actual National Soccer team is terrible. Well our Men's National team is terrible, our Women's National team is amazing.

The men's team is the best in the CONCACAF. How is that a terrible team? 

Do Mexico not count anymore or something?

Excuse me? USA has pretty much been better than Mexico for the past several years.

#dosacero

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Mnementh said:
Metallox said:
John120219 said:
Because our actual National Soccer team is terrible. Well our Men's National team is terrible, our Women's National team is amazing.

The men's team is the best in the CONCACAF. How is that a terrible team?

No, it's not:

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/concacaf.html

>Using FIFA rankings as a basis of fact.  

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

sundin13 said:
Because it is horrendously boring...

Depends on the team you watch. If you Barcelona then you'll definitely be put to sleep with the way they play!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Psychotic said:
invetedlotus123 said:

The biggest sports there are basketball, American football and baseball. None of them are exceptionally big anywhere with some few exceptions, like baseball in Japan. Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon? They're like and island, I never heard of a worldwide competition of any of those sports.

Historically, the United States were always very nationalist, they resist conforming to what others do unless completely necessary.

I'm American, so I can say this. This is not the reason. When we don't follow along. It's because we don't care how someone else does it. We just do it the way we want. Not because some pride reason. People just ignore it. Like any other sport that's not interesting.

RolStoppable said:
outlawauron said:

Excuse me? USA has pretty much been better than Mexico for the past several years.

#dosacero

Yeah, but only because 60% of your national team consists of descendants of immigrants from Mexico.

Yeah but, with only 5.2 million Native American's left, isn't the US basically 98% comprised of descendants of migrants from other countries?

mornelithe said:
RolStoppable said:

Yeah, but only because 60% of your national team consists of descendants of immigrants from Mexico.

Yeah but, with only 5.2 million Native American's left, isn't the US basically 98% comprised of descendants of migrants from other countries?

Indeed, the Mexican team should clearly credit Spain with all future successes they may have.

RolStoppable said:
mornelithe said:

Leave me alone already!

Believe it or not, I don't actually look at the names of people before responding to a comment.  And if you want to be left alone, why would you comment on a public forum?

USA is all about capitalism and economics. Soccer is not sufficiently monetized yet. It lacks the backing of huge constant sponsors because you gave two 45 minutes halves of play that are commercial free. So tv networks are less inclined to schedule soccer with so little time to sell advertisements.

Most soccer leagues around the world are not profitable unlike the NBA and NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.