By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon?

AlfredoTurkey said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Stop calling it soccer, dammit.

Blame the English... after all, THEY'RE the ones who came over here and called it that. That name did NOT originate in the US at all.

The english call it football now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
mornelithe said:

What's wrong with Soccer?  What's your problem with the sport of Soccer?  I played Soccer as a kid.  Soccer was a great deal of fun, in camp, after school, tons of soccer.  Probably played more Soccer when I was younger, than I did any other sport.  Kind of strange really, when you think about it.  My interest in soccer didn't really carry over into adulthood.

It's called football. Everywhere in the word except the US.

And the rest of the world could call it whatever they like.  We'll continue calling it soccer, because it makes sense considering we already have a popular sport we refer to as football.

JWeinCom said:
Mnementh said:

It's called football. Everywhere in the word except the US.

And the rest of the world could call it whatever they like.  We'll continue calling it soccer, because it makes sense considering we already have a popular sport we refer to as football.

Only that this other sport does involve usage of arms, not feet.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Blame the English... after all, THEY'RE the ones who came over here and called it that. That name did NOT originate in the US at all.

The english call it football now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football

Yes, they call it football...NOW. But THEY'RE the ones who called it soccer first. They came over to the US, brought the game with them, called it soccer, and then years later decided to call it something else. 

So when people are bitching at the US for calling it soccer, they need to look in the mirror because it's their fault. Also, you can't just decide to change the name of a sport and expect the world to go along with it as well. 

Mnementh said:
JWeinCom said:

That argument doesn't make sense. Soccer involves the use of your chest, knees, head, arms and hands. American football involves the arms, hands and feet. The only difference is the percentage of use. 

Around the Network
invetedlotus123 said:
There's someone that said that USA never was being any country in Olympics medal score with exception is urss, well , china was in 2008, but USA media tricked by instead of using the number of gold medals and silver and plate as 2nd and 3rd criteria , they used just the general numbers of medals so they could stay ahead, while the rest of the world counts gold medals first.

I prefer giving a point score, 3pt for gold, 2pt for silver, 1pt for bronze... USA counting all medals makes it seem like bronze is just as good as gold, wheras only counting gold is better, but discounts any runners up.

(China still comes out on top this way, but it's a close 223:220 instead of 51:36)

lol I always preferred the Gold: 3 Silver: 2 Bronze: 1 method myself.

It has been difficult to compete with China as of late given they seem to get about 5 golds in pingpong every time haha

Still, the host always sees a bump in medals during the Olympics (note that the UK actually had the third most gold's in 2012 over Russia when they hosted it). Either way, the US won both the gold count and total points in 2012 and are still miles out in front in the all-time count even when you combine the Russia/USSR or the multiple German entities. It's not like we've fallen off or anything.

Mnementh said:
JWeinCom said:

Allow me to congratulate you on this novel and astute observation.  I will immediately begin a campaign to find a new name, change the vernacular, and completely rebrand the product.  Because it makes no sense to keep a name we are all familiar with and creates no issues, because it is not 100% technically accurate in modern times, despite a rational entymological explanation.

After I'm done with this, I'll begin to work on the pressing issues of renaming hot dogs which are not dogs and strawberries which are not berries.  After this I will demand that monkey wrench's be renamed to reflect the fact that monkeys do not use them, demand that people stop using the phrase funny bone as the bone is not humorous at all, demand that we stop using the term restroom because people do not rest in it, lead the charge against hamburgers as they are not made of ham, and demand that Eminem change his name so that we do not confuse him with a delectable chocolate covered treat.

As my last, and perhaps most important, task, I will demand that goaltenders no longer use their hands, soccer players never used their heads, and punting and fieldgoal kicking are abolished.  Because, in a sport, you are apparently only allowed to use body parts specified in the sports name.

Again, congratulations on your observation.  Comedians from the 80s and 10 year olds everywhere would be proud of your insight.

The US women's national soccer team is the current world champion and currently # 1 (out 177 nations) in FIFA world ranking (# 1 is also their average world ranking position over the years). So far only one country was really able to rival the US girls in this sport.

The US men's national soccer team is currently # 28 (out of 209 nations) in FIFA world ranking, # 19 is their average position over the years.

Not bad for a country where this sport isn't nearly as popular as in many other countries.

Because we already had Baseball, American Football, and Basketball.

All 3 of which involve more scoring than Soccer and have natural places for commercials.

Soccer rewards patience, all the little moments of the game build and when a team breaks through it can be euphoric.

The other 3 sports feeds you a steady stream of action and occasionally have a "huge play" that can get you going.

I played Soccer and Basketball in HS, Baseball elementery-HS. Never played Football. So I appecriate Soccer, but do not enjoy watching it as much as Baseball or Football. I find basketball the most boring to watch unless there is a specific player on the court (Like a Jordan, Bryant, James, Durants, etc).

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.