By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon?

Because its extremely boring lol

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network
Psychotic said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

Lol. If you actually think the U.S. is switching to metric any time soon, you've got another thing coming. That's the nicest way I can put it without being banned.

Depends on what you mean by "soon". If I was a gambling man, I'd give it 40 years.

And I would say closer to never than 40 years.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

alternine said:
Because its extremely boring lol

Baseball.... lol

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
Abun said:

Soccer is a national sport with no personal attachment like MLB,NFL and NBA.By that I mean most cities or states have their own team,which makes it a more intimate connection.As a Raven's fan I feel closer to the team since they represent my city.I feel a since of pride when I drive near Camden yards and M&T bank stadium,plus being black I grew up playing basket ball and football or owning one of those balls like most blacks.Then you have high school and college baeball,basket ball and football.Small towns and states have their own teams with huge rivalrys.

What? The MLS is exactly like the MLB, NFL, NBA. Most cities or states do have their own team. If you can feel an intimate connection to your local MLB, NFL or NBA team why can't you your local MLS team?

The same reason why when you hear of someone dying in a train acident, you don't care. But when an actor, like say Lenard Nimoy died. You get depressed. I watched the man since I was 6. I only knew the train acident victum for 2 mins. Since the sport isn't big. You know nothing, you have no attachment. If I watched the world cup. I wouldn't care who won. I don't know who anyone is.

ohmylanta1003 said:

And I would say closer to never than 40 years.

If you say so...

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Mnementh said:
Metallox said:
John120219 said:
Because our actual National Soccer team is terrible. Well our Men's National team is terrible, our Women's National team is amazing.

The men's team is the best in the CONCACAF. How is that a terrible team?

No, it's not:

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/concacaf.html

>Using FIFA rankings as a basis of fact.  

What else should you use, it's the official organization for the sport. The ranking is based on results in international games and everyone can recalculate it himself if he wants to. What do you base your ranking on, coinflip?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I'd say it is becoming bigger tbh. A lot more exposure now than it did 10-20 years before

Signalstar said:
USA is all about capitalism and economics. Soccer is not sufficiently monetized yet. It lacks the backing of huge constant sponsors because you gave two 45 minutes halves of play that are commercial free. So tv networks are less inclined to schedule soccer with so little time to sell advertisements.

Most soccer leagues around the world are not profitable unlike the NBA and NFL.

Please what? European football is very much oriented on profits. The leagues are producing a lot of money and the clubs are pretty important companies by now. In the US soccer is only not economical successful, because it is not popular. Similar here in europe with Baseball, you have no economical stable league.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Abun said:

Soccer is a national sport with no personal attachment like MLB,NFL and NBA.By that I mean most cities or states have their own team,which makes it a more intimate connection.As a Raven's fan I feel closer to the team since they represent my city.I feel a since of pride when I drive near Camden yards and M&T bank stadium,plus being black I grew up playing basket ball and football or owning one of those balls like most blacks.Then you have high school and college baeball,basket ball and football.Small towns and states have their own teams with huge rivalrys.

Soccer teams are bound to cities, only for international events there is a national team that consist of th best players in the usual leagues. Also rivalry is usual for teams and their fans.

mornelithe said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Stop calling it soccer, dammit.

What's wrong with Soccer?  What's your problem with the sport of Soccer?  I played Soccer as a kid.  Soccer was a great deal of fun, in camp, after school, tons of soccer.  Probably played more Soccer when I was younger, than I did any other sport.  Kind of strange really, when you think about it.  My interest in soccer didn't really carry over into adulthood.

It's called football. Everywhere in the word except the US.