By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Why has the DC Comic brand struggled in movies?

archer9234 said:

Really. Why don't you see them as god characters. If you can desimate a city. You're a god to people who can't do that. You don't have to be all powerful in every aspect, like superman, to be categorized as a god. Or are you saying: that you wouldn't be scared that Hulk just destroyed California. By setting off San Anreas fault. You're basically arguing that Hulk isn't a god. Because he can't rip apart the planet directly. Or by pushing it out of orbit.

No ones gonna care about that. When cities and millions are dead, in other horrible ways. Even Krillian, one of the weakest Dragonball characters would be a god on Earth. Chi-Chi is even weaker than Krillian. And could still be a god. She had the ability to fly and fire energy. Any super hero with those type of basic abilites would be gods. Unless you want to argue they can be stopped somehow. So can Superman. People like Medusa can't be god like. Her power is only to fight with her hair. I would agree with you. With those characters.

But People like Doctor Strange, Hulk, most Mutants etc. can be categorized as a god. And Wolverine can only hurt Hulk because of his adimantium. If he fought without it. He just be Hulk's regenerating punching bag.

Because they have problems, they are human. Most of the TKers in the MU are mutants, feared and hunted just because of who they are.

Don't get me wrong, I know they are powerful in the context of us but this isn't in that context, it's against other superhumans. Marvel's characters are just more relatable and human (obviously considering 3 of the big JL characters aren't). I mean, I respect Flash and Green Arrow, they are human (although the faster than anyone Flash is a bit much still).

Trust me, not much of a fan of Tony Stark or Thor either. Like I say, big X-men fan. 

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Generally, most people like comics to remain comics.
Batman is really an exception, stronger and deeper characters made it enjoyable as a movie too, also because actors themselves are able to show better their talent with batman characters. Not even Batman is perfect, though, the first TV series was so trash to become unintentionally comical. Anyway, not even Batman is perfect, though: TV Batman was trash for many other reasons too, but Batman is at risk whenever Robin appears, he's quintessentially trash.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

But DC movies ( Batman, Superman, and probably the next Suicide Squad and Batmanvs Superman) are far much better than Marvel Studio movies, quality > sales, Marvel movies look like something made for childrens, it's not the same level of ambition

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Batman's success as a more serious film kinda altered their mindset and can make adapting more outlandish and supernatural characters a challenge. Like others said, their animated stuff blows the competition out of the water and that's more of the tone that Marvel emulated with their live action stuff. But now with their own persistent universe and production lineup started via Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice, they could be on track to catch up. There's no guarantee of success and you have to wonder if the market will stop caring soon, but if there's a bright side maybe that more serious tone will help it feel fresher.

Btw I don't think Watchmen gets enough credit. Tons of craft and a commedable effort to adapt.

Are you referring the the 4 movie? Probably because someone made a movie to keep a license - not because they had a good idea.

The buzz on Suicide Squad is, well, not good from what I hear. And even-though most everyone is ugh, Ben Aflik, yet the trailers and stuff for Batman vs Superman look promising. Plus they are already marketing the hell out of both movies.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=dccomics.htm

Besides Batman and the occassional Superman hit the DC comic universe has struggled at the box office.

Who or what entity can focus this Brand into something that is on the same level as Marvel? 

Can the new Batman Vs Superman really be the movie that does it?

But what about all the other characters at the link above? Most will never see the light of day again I would imagine.

Because most of those films aren't part of the DC universe? they are part of the vertigo line of independant titles.

Zappykins said:
Are you referring the the 4 movie? Probably because someone made a movie to keep a license - not because they had a good idea.

The buzz on Suicide Squad is, well, not good from what I hear. And even-though most everyone is ugh, Ben Aflik, yet the trailers and stuff for Batman vs Superman look promising. Plus they are already marketing the hell out of both movies.

Where did you hear that about Suicide Squad. But yes, BvS looks amazing so far.

Lawlight said:
Zappykins said:

Where did you hear that about Suicide Squad. But yes, BvS looks amazing so far.

Oh, gosh, from like most of my friends that have already seen the trailer, the buzz on Jared Leto's 'Marylyn Manson' character.  They are saying the Suicide Squad looks like some of the worst things they have ever seen (and yes, they have seen the new Fantastic Four trailer.)  You have his fans/press agent/mom saying ‘he is a talented actor, give him a chance.’  But that only goes so far.

And that terrible picture of the 'joker' they are putting everywhere.  It's disgusting, and not in a cool way.  Just in a 'go away forever' kind of way.

Reminds me how Tracey Ullman ruined her career in the USA with this horrible add with her having a tattooed tongue – that was plastered EVERYWHERE for months.  It left you wanting to never ever see anything about her again.  Killed her specials and shows here. Haven't seen her in anything here since and I used to really like her.

I do see she is still doing stuff in the UK.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

I just had a crazy revelation! Kingdom Come is Civil War! I was reading it tonight and I was like "Holy Shit!"

-A Super Hero tragedy that is caused by recklessness
-Teams of heroes fighting each other
-Heroes allying themselves with villains
-a super prison with superhero wardens
-Captain America dies (he and a lot of Marvel heroes are hidden in the final tragic battle

Marvel STOLE their biggest storyline in decades!

First let them start on a fair note to judge at all. With Green Lantern as just the single example, No I don;t think so. Marvel is not getting any better with AoU as it did much below Avengers 1 as opposed to what was expected.