By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Why has the DC Comic brand struggled in movies?

The Fury said:
God characters. DC has a lot of them, Marvel doesn't. DC biggest are god characters, Marvel's aren't.

This is why Suicide Squad looks like it might be a hit, beaten down criminals no more powerful than just a skilled version of you or me.

Marvel does have their fair share of god characters. The Hulk's can destroy the planet. Sentry, most of the Magic characters. Each Avengers team. The Sub Mariner could just wipe out the planet with Tsunami. Marvels use out of them makes it a lot easier to just not ask, why such and such doesn't do blah to win in 2 seconds. Invisible Woman is a walking plot problem all the time. VS Man of Steel's level of destruction. And Sup's perfect god like nature, in your face.

Around the Network

Marvel > DC

That is the way I always remembered it.  I don't care for comic book movies anymore though.  Too played out.

archer9234 said:
The Fury said:
God characters. DC has a lot of them, Marvel doesn't. DC biggest are god characters, Marvel's aren't.

This is why Suicide Squad looks like it might be a hit, beaten down criminals no more powerful than just a skilled version of you or me.

Marvel does have their fair share of god characters. The Hulk's can destroy the planet. Sentry, most of the Magic characters. Each Avengers team. Marvels use out of them makes it a lot easier to just not ask, why such and such doesn't do blah to win in 2 seconds. Invisible Woman is a walking plot problem all the time. VS Man of Steel's level of destruction. And Sup's perfect god like nature, in your face.

Hulk can't destroy a planet. Where on earth did you get that? I think i must have missed and issue. Holding up a mountain is strong but no where near pushing planets around like fun (although that was pre-crisis Supes wasn't it?)

Sentry was a walking Retcon and his presence in the MU was a weird one until death (since he has been revived, this sacrifice is lost), many people didn't like him because he was too powerful.

How is Invisible Woman a walking plot problem? Her Invisibility is good but her 'TK' is weak compared to the Grey DNA lot.

Anyway, I find Marvel's characters more relatable as they have better grounded origins, making them more human. Keeping in mind I'm a huge X-men fan so persecution of who you are is going to trump everything.

Flash is cool though. Glad his series is doing well.

Hmm, pie.

Thinking about this question properly, it actually hasn't. DC brand isn't the same as a connected DC Movie Universe. Original Superman films did well, not including 4 or supergirl, and the first 2 Batman from the late 80s 90s did well too, plus the modern Dark Knight Trilogy (not a fan of them myself). It's just modern Superman who has struggled and DC struggling to get the others off the ground. Throw a few good screen writers at it and a few new up and coming directors like Marvel have and you might get something good.

DC has always been better at making TV series anyway.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
archer9234 said:
The Fury said:

Marvel does have their fair share of god characters. The Hulk's can destroy the planet. Sentry, most of the Magic characters. Each Avengers team. Marvels use out of them makes it a lot easier to just not ask, why such and such doesn't do blah to win in 2 seconds. Invisible Woman is a walking plot problem all the time. VS Man of Steel's level of destruction. And Sup's perfect god like nature, in your face.

Hulk can't destroy a planet. Where on earth did you get that? I think i must have missed and issue. Holding up a mountain is strong but no where near pushing planets around like fun (although that was pre-crisis Supes wasn't it?)

Sentry was a walking Retcon and his presence in the MU was a weird one until death (since he has been revived, this sacrifice is lost), many people didn't like him because he was too powerful.

How is Invisible Woman a walking plot problem? Her Invisibility is good but her 'TK' is weak compared to the Grey DNA lot.

Anyway, I find Marvel's characters more relatable as they have better grounded origins, making them more human. Keeping in mind I'm a huge X-men fan so persecution of who you are is going to trump everything.

Hulk can reach the core and cause a chain reaction. He survives tons of crap. He can go around and stomp earthquake zones. Also, have Banner in cooperation with Hulk 100%. And neither one cares if people are killed. See that insanity. She-Hulk was brain washed once, and was able to completly take down the Avengers team, intil Hulk showed up. They always put limits on themselves. And usually won't cross that line. Gamma Overload any of them. Another nuke, or experiment.  Put two of them together. Their's many ways one or all of them could destroy the planet. And he can deal with most of the Asgard. If he wasn't that powerful. He wouldn't of been thrown off Earth. Nor would the Avengers try to cover that up towards She-Hulk.

Invisible Woman is a walking plot problem because she can form bubbles anywhere. form one in someones head. Instant kill. Or inflate/chrush one. That's aspect of her that was done a few times. But normally ignored. I agree, Marvel characters are great because they're normal people. And Marvel allows them to be in normal situations. DC and secret identities is the holy bible they follow. Which restricts them.

Around the Network

People say DC characters are too powerful until you say " Who would win in a fight? ". Suddenly Aquaman can't beat Sub-Mariner, Batman can't beat Captain America or Spider-man, Superman can't beat " Planet Breaker " Hulk, Wonder Woman can't beat Thor, Green Lantern can't beat Silver Surfer, Steel can't beat Iron Man, etc.

archer9234 said:
The Fury said:
archer9234 said:
The Fury said:

Hulk can reach the core and cause a chain reaction. He survives tons of crap. He can go around and stomp earthquake zones. Also, have Banner in cooperation with Hulk 100%. And neither one cares if people are killed. See that insanity. She-Hulk was brain washed once, and was able to completly take down the Avengers team, intil Hulk showed up. Gamma Overload any of them. Put two of them together. Their's many ways one or all of them could destroy the planet.

And he can deal with most of the Asgard. Invisible Woman is a walking plot problem because she can form bubbles anywhere. form one in someones head. Instant kill. Or inflate one. That's aspect of her that was done a few times. But normally ignored. I agree, Marvel cahractewrs are normal normal people. And Marvel allows them to be in normal situations.

Yeah, I saw a comic where invisible woman put a force field around somebody's heart!  Said if they didn't do what she asked, she would kill him!  This was in the 90s.  Before that, I wasn't too impressed with her powers.  Of course, I didn't know the extent of her power!

d21lewis said:
V-r0cK said:

If you didn't, I would've.

It would seem that way if you don't take the time to find out who the characters are and what their motivations are.

That's the thing.  The time most people take is the length of the movie trailers shown.  Many movie goers don't rely on doing research of super heroes after a movie trailer is shown, they expect the trailer should be enough to tell what the viewer needs to know.

If everybody took the time to find out these things then nobody would be watching the X-men movies as they would find out its complete garbage compared to the comics.

V-r0cK said:
d21lewis said:

It would seem that way if you don't take the time to find out who the characters are and what their motivations are.

That's the thing.  The time most people take is the length of the movie trailers shown.  Many movie goers don't rely on doing research of super heroes after a movie trailer is shown, they expect the trailer should be enough to tell what the viewer needs to know.

If everybody took the time to find out these things then nobody would be watching the X-men movies as they would find out its complete garbage compared to the comics.

Double edge sword. If people did that research. They may get pissed that the movie isn't as good as the comic stories. Or changes something, And stop going too. Most people don't know Ant-Man is really the second Ant-Man from the comics. It get peoples heads confused. Especially if Pym is done in some other film.

Because the directors don't use the material is already given to them they try to make their own story for the character. Where is the director for Marvel movies actually use the comic books and base