By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Why has the DC Comic brand struggled in movies?

jammlee48505 said:
Because the directors don't use the material is already given to them to try to make their own story for the character. Where is the director for Marvel movies actually use the comic books and bas

Sometimes they do.  The third Nolan film borrowed a lot from different storylines.  To many, actually.  It felt like a cluster.

Green Lantern was pretty close but they made some crazy choices ( Ryan Reynolds as Hal?  Hector Hammond as the villain!?!).

Hopefully they can get it right.  Marvel is slaying them right now.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:

Hulk can reach the core and cause a chain reaction. He survives tons of crap. He can go around and stomp earthquake zones. Also, have Banner in cooperation with Hulk 100%. And neither one cares if people are killed. See that insanity. She-Hulk was brain washed once, and was able to completly take down the Avengers team, intil Hulk showed up. They always put limits on themselves. And usually won't cross that line. Gamma Overload any of them. Another nuke, or experiment.  Put two of them together. Their's many ways one or all of them could destroy the planet. And he can deal with most of the Asgard. If he wasn't that powerful. He wouldn't of been thrown off Earth. Nor would the Avengers try to cover that up towards She-Hulk.

Invisible Woman is a walking plot problem because she can form bubbles anywhere. form one in someones head. Instant kill. Or inflate/chrush one. That's aspect of her that was done a few times. But normally ignored. I agree, Marvel characters are great because they're normal people. And Marvel allows them to be in normal situations. DC and secret identities is the holy bible they follow. Which restricts them.

The Hulk stuff, no idea what you are refering, sure I would have heard about most of that but Hulk has no limit, the angrier he gets the stronger he gets but he still has a limit. He can't fly, he can get cut by Wolverine's claws. I doubt Hulk could hit the ground to destroy a planet.

TK has that issue, Invisible Woman can do it, Jean Grey can, any TKer can do that, mutants are 10% telekinetics. Iceman can freeze the water in your blood. Magneto can rip the iron out of it. Quake caused a localise earthquake in Wolverine destroying his heart (he was luck it was still in his body so it could heal)  Angel can grab you, lift you to 1000 feet then drop you, just a dangerous. Many superhumans have upper limits and dealy use of their powers.

But I wouldn't see them as god characters. Silver Surfer is but a movie about him isn't being made. (Anymore)

EDIT: This has just made me wonder about DC, the Lanterns are a form of Telekinetics but do DC not really have any TK and TPers? Marvel are all about that, mutants/X-men especially but DC is all about strength and power or street level.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
archer9234 said:

Hulk can reach the core and cause a chain reaction. He survives tons of crap. He can go around and stomp earthquake zones. Also, have Banner in cooperation with Hulk 100%. And neither one cares if people are killed. See that insanity. She-Hulk was brain washed once, and was able to completly take down the Avengers team, intil Hulk showed up. They always put limits on themselves. And usually won't cross that line. Gamma Overload any of them. Another nuke, or experiment.  Put two of them together. Their's many ways one or all of them could destroy the planet. And he can deal with most of the Asgard. If he wasn't that powerful. He wouldn't of been thrown off Earth. Nor would the Avengers try to cover that up towards She-Hulk.

Invisible Woman is a walking plot problem because she can form bubbles anywhere. form one in someones head. Instant kill. Or inflate/chrush one. That's aspect of her that was done a few times. But normally ignored. I agree, Marvel characters are great because they're normal people. And Marvel allows them to be in normal situations. DC and secret identities is the holy bible they follow. Which restricts them.

The Hulk stuff, no idea what you are refering, sure I would have heard about most of that but Hulk has no limit, the angrier he gets the stronger he gets but he still has a limit. He can't fly, he can get cut by Wolverine's claws. I doubt Hulk could hit the ground to destroy a planet.

TK has that issue, Invisible Woman can do it, Jean Grey can, any TKer can do that, mutants are 10% telekinetics. Iceman can freeze the water in your blood. Magneto can rip the iron out of it. Quake caused a localise earthquake in Wolverine destroying his heart (he was luck it was still in his body so it could heal)  Angel can grab you, lift you to 1000 feet then drop you, just a dangerous. Many superhumans have upper limits and dealy use of their powers.

But I wouldn't see them as god characters. Silver Surfer is but a movie about him isn't being made. (Anymore)

World War Hulk.

Motherfucker almost blew up the earth just because he was mad!

How many DC movies are there pre to the Marvel revitalisation?
+Man of Steel is a good movie
+Batman Trilogy is good to great
+Green Lantern was ok
+DC animated movies are pretty good (Flash Point Paradox... get on it people)

Early Marvel movies were pretty bad too and their recent animated ventures are pretty poor as well.
Marvel just knows to market a light hearted, action comedy to everyone.
Personally the best Marvel movies are GOTG, Avengers 1, Captain 2 with Xmen 2/Days of Future Past, Iron Man 1 and Cap 1 following behind.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

d21lewis said:

World War Hulk.

Motherfucker almost blew up the earth just because he was mad!

I've read that, got it in trade. I remember him being angry, capturing the Illuminati, Rick Jones being injured ... it was classed as 'World Breaker Hulk'. But that was reall upper limits Hulk, no control and really angry. He's rarely like that.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
archer9234 said:

EDIT: This has just made me wonder about DC, the Lanterns are a form of Telekinetics but do DC not really have any TK and TPers? Marvel are all about that, mutants/X-men especially but DC is all about strength and power or street level.

Really. Why don't you see them as god characters. If you can desimate a city. You're a god to people who can't do that. You don't have to be all powerful in every aspect, like superman, to be categorized as a god. Or are you saying: that you wouldn't be scared that Hulk just destroyed California. By setting off San Anreas fault. You're basically arguing that Hulk isn't a god. Because he can't rip apart the planet directly. Or by pushing it out of orbit.

No ones gonna care about that. When cities and millions are dead, in other horrible ways. Even Krillian, one of the weakest Dragonball characters would be a god on Earth. Chi-Chi is even weaker than Krillian. And could still be a god. She had the ability to fly and fire energy. Any super hero with those type of basic abilites would be gods. Unless you want to argue they can be stopped somehow. So can Superman. People like Medusa can't be god like. Her power is only to fight with her hair. I would agree with you. With those characters.

But People like Doctor Strange, Hulk, most Mutants etc. can be categorized as a god. And Wolverine can only hurt Hulk because of his adimantium. If he fought without it. He just be Hulk's regenerating punching bag.

The god aspect is interesting.. DC tends to show the Hero aspect more while Marvel focuses on the human part.. Maybe there is a disconnection with the audience and they can relate better with marvel characters.. Its easier to relate to a soldier, highschool nerd, thief then an alien, goddess and billionair

-edit- there is also the issue of location.. Dc takes place in fictional cities like Metropolis, Gotham, Star City and Central City.. While Marvel uses New York

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

The god aspect is interesting.. DC tends to show the Hero aspect more while Marvel focuses on the human part.. Maybe there is a disconnection with the audience and they can relate better with marvel characters.. Its easier to relate to a soldier, highschool nerd, thief then an alien, goddess and billionair

-edit- there is also the issue of location.. Dc takes place in fictional cities like Metropolis, Gotham, Star City and Central City.. While Marvel uses New York

I remember reading JLA vs Avengers.  The Marvel heroes thought the DC heroes were evil because the people "worshipped" them.  The DC guys thought the Marvel guys were evil because the public feared them.  I found it interesting.

From what I've heard, Marvel has a lot of control over their movies. They tell the directors what they want and etc which is why a few directors left and had to be replaced. DC leaves it to the directors or aren't that controlling. 

I hope Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman ends up being good and avoid the problems from spiderman 2. They added too many characters and added a lot of story which ended up being rushed and forced.

NiKKoM said:

Iron Man is a billionaire. With mostly made up tech. But still is loved a lot. It's the way both sides are protrayed. Marvel will use Tony and Iron Man. We'll see Bruce and Hulk. Man of Steel cut out Clark almost entirly. And Bruce Wayne was ignored. Or forced to be in asshole or idiot mode. No real time with his other half.