By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGSV costs 80 million to develop.

Xxain said:
Boutros said:

That's pretty much expected. And they already recouped a lot of that with Ground Zeroes so it's pretty much certain to make a profit which makes you wonder what was really going on at Konami. Because there shouldn't be a problem if in the end it's profitable. Also for all we know it includes the development of the Fox Engine which is also used for PES.

Because breaking even or small profit isnt the goal, especially on pillar franchises.

They're not going to make a profit at all by disbanding Kojima Productions.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Mnementh said:
bananaking21 said:
while 80 million certainly is A LOT. MGSV will make those back in just a few hours of sales and will easily be profitable day one.

You expect 5 million sales day one? While I think MGSV can be profitable even with this budget, I don't think day one.

It would be about 3 million to break even (this is if the cost is only 80 million, which it isn't).

That would be $30 per copy sold, which is high. I assume more along the lines of $20. Still, 5 million was a bit high, 4 million is more like it. Either way, 3, 4 or 5 million, not happening day 1.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Acevil said:
Mnementh said:
bananaking21 said:
while 80 million certainly is A LOT. MGSV will make those back in just a few hours of sales and will easily be profitable day one.

You expect 5 million sales day one? While I think MGSV can be profitable even with this budget, I don't think day one.

It would be about 3 million to break even (this is if the cost is only 80 million, which it isn't).

That would be $30 per copy sold, which is high. I assume more along the lines of $20. Still, 5 million was a bit high, 4 million is more like it. Either way, 3, 4 or 5 million, not happening day 1.

I actually used $27, which is from a breakdown I saw long time ago. 

ArchangelMadzz said:
endy.G said:

huh?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Gear-Solid-Phantom-Pain/dp/B00D781HS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438618247&sr=8-1&keywords=metal+gear+solid+5

65$ includig sales taxes...

I always buy my games from amazon. If you go into a retailer video games are £50-£55

The Witcher 3 costs 60 € in germany (doubt there are much differences in other parts of europe except UK) and even only 45€ on PC. Including tax (as tax is always included in customer-prices here in germany). It's highly doubtful that leaves $30 for Konami.

http://www.amazon.de/Witcher-Wild-Hunt-Standard-Playstation/dp/B00KNZNVLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438625395&sr=8-1&keywords=the+witcher

http://www.amazon.de/Witcher-Wild-Hunt-Standard-PC/dp/B00KNZNYU0/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2_cd_?ie=UTF8&qid=1438625395&sr=8-1&keywords=the+witcher

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

If that is the cost of the overall development, and it is true, it is super high. Day One it won't be profitable. And I don't know how many copies are needed. The problem with certain games is the price drop, if it won't be profitable, I guess they shouldn't drop the price. I don't know the date range or any statistical analysis for AAA games, but 80 million is too much of a cost.

Around the Network

Now Ground Zeroes makes more sense. $80M to develop one game before marketing is huge, they needed MGSV "prologue" to get some of that money back.